Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I find it interesting when some scream like stuck pigs about the current interest rates. Memories in this country are short and self serving. Just go back to the 80s and what happened when even worse inflation hit. In the early 80s I got a home/land loan through the Federal Land Bank and at 11% was thrilled to get that low. In the late 80s got a VA for a house in AZ the 7.5% was great. Cheap and "free" money the guvmnt offered for years has spoiled many. Gravy train is over for now.

Many companies, Wallyworld included, are jumping into the BNPL, Buy Now Pay Later, scheme. After all the defaults coming in the near future who's do you think will cover those losses. Honest and responsible people, that's who.

If someone didn't see the RV demand dropping they must have been real comfortable under that rock. Lower but still ridiculously high fuel prices will help those who can still afford to buy groceries. The recession is real and gonna get worse in the next 2+ years. Enjoy what you can afford to do.
Yep. Bought my first house in 1981. Interest rate was 18 3/4% and that was with first time buyer assistance through a WV housing program. Next home in 1987 was at 9%. I haven’t tried it but you could probably graph inflation and mortgage rates and see a very similar line.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #22

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Yep. Bought my first house in 1981. Interest rate was 18 3/4% and that was with first time buyer assistance through a WV housing program. Next home in 1987 was at 9%. I haven’t tried it but you could probably graph inflation and mortgage rates and see a very similar line.
Yeah if I had gone conventional or VA instead of the Federal Land Bank I would have faced this rates also. That was also in WV near Charleston. I probably would have kept renting instead of buying. With the soaring coast of houses caused by soaring cost of materials housing is becoming unreachable for many. Thank goodness I have mine, have no plans to sell and move and buy again. Reckon I'll go out "feet first" as they say.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:44 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Could? I filled up at Exxon an hour ago at $2.58, and at H-E-B grocery store gas station where we stopped on way home it was even lower at $2.55.
Here in crazyland California our last fillup was $4.89 and yes it brings a tear or two every trip to the pump. Still planning our getaway
Old 12-10-2022, 11:04 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Here in crazyland California our last fillup was $4.89 and yes it brings a tear or two every trip to the pump. Still planning our getaway

Yeah, but that’s a self inflicted wound.

Ace’s previous point about my $2.58 not being a “National” average was valid, but I prefer to focus on our Texas cost because it is not only closer to home for me (yes, selfish), but also shows what is possible when certain states don’t drive prices higher to reduce gas consumption. Other than due to regulations and taxes, it can’t possibly cost almost twice as much to make gas in California.

I also don’t pay much attention to national average because a few states (mostly west coast) skew results. I wish I could look up the average gas price for 45 states (excluding California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska). That’s where I and many others drive 99+ percent of time.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yeah, but that’s a self inflicted wound.

Ace’s previous point about my $2.58 not being a “National” average was valid, but I prefer to focus on our Texas cost because it is not only closer to home for me (yes, selfish), but also shows what is possible when certain states don’t drive prices higher to reduce gas consumption. Other than due to regulations and taxes, it can’t possibly cost almost twice as much to make gas in California.

I also don’t pay much attention to national average because a few states (mostly west coast) skew results. I wish I could look up the average gas price for 45 states (excluding California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska). That’s where I and many others drive 99+ percent of time.
Yep, I agree the national average is misleading. According to Gas Buddy, it looks like the upper Midwest is still a little higher at $2.70 - $2.90, but much of the middle/south has dropped below $2.50 or more. National average means squat if you don't travel to, or live in the high-price outlier areas. All things considered, I could live with paying low to mid $2 for gas... basically what it was summer 2021.

We moved out of "the big city" 5 years ago and never looked back. Big city taxes and crime are through the roof, but we found "rural life" to be MUCH less costly and less stressful.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #26

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
The big difference in gas prices from one area to another is mostly caused by local and state taxes. Here in Tennessee you can drive a few miles form one county to another and see a $.20 difference. I will admit that there are added costs for transport the further you are from a refinery and may account for some of the significantly lower prices in the states near Texas. We are seeing $2.78 per gallon around here in East Tennessee. We do have pipelines running from Texas.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Even at $2.76 a gallon it would cost me $.36 a mile to drive the RV. Right now it's costing about $.50 a mile which is beyond outrageous as far as I'm concerned. We limit our use of the RV to travel between our two houses, one in Kentucky and one in Florida, and short trips within each area. No more cross country jaunts. If we didn't have a cat we would have zero use for a motorhome.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:17 AM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Even at $2.76 a gallon it would cost me $.36 a mile to drive the RV. Right now it's costing about $.50 a mile which is beyond outrageous as far as I'm concerned. We limit our use of the RV to travel between our two houses, one in Kentucky and one in Florida, and short trips within each area. No more cross country jaunts. If we didn't have a cat we would have zero use for a motorhome.

We’ll that’s a new one for me - owning an RV because of a cat!
Old 12-16-2022, 01:21 AM   #29

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I was dwelling on that post but figured any comment I made would get flagged so I didn't.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-16-2022, 01:38 AM   #30

THOR #2817
Quote:
That's right. If we didn't have a cat the RV would be on jack's in the backyard and turned into a hen house.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:45 AM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
That's right. If we didn't have a cat the RV would be on jack's in the backyard and turned into a hen house.
I guess it's better to have a henhouse in the backyard... a cathouse might upset the neighbors...
Old 12-16-2022, 02:14 AM   #32

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I guess it's better to have a henhouse in the backyard... a cathouse might upset the neighbors...
Old 12-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I am sure glad we bought ours in 2020.
We moved from MT to NM so that we can reduce our road gas travel time. So when in MT we will stay at family a few months and travel local ...here in NM we will explore the state locally. Our family wants us to drive from NM To TN to meet family and go up the East coast. Due to gas cost distance we said CAN'T DO.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #34

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Certainly can understand how gas cost can be a problem. We took a 5 week trip to Montana this summer at near the peak of gas prices. Nearly 4,000 miles and over 500 gallons of gas cost about $2200. It was our only “big” trip of the year. We put $200/ month in a travel savings account so most of the trip was covered in advance. It smooths out the cash flow and lets us travel while we’re still healthy enough to do it.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
Certainly can understand how gas cost can be a problem. We took a 5 week trip to Montana this summer at near the peak of gas prices. Nearly 4,000 miles and over 500 gallons of gas cost about $2200. It was our only “big” trip of the year. We put $200/ month in a travel savings account so most of the trip was covered in advance. It smooths out the cash flow and lets us travel while we’re still healthy enough to do it.
Good for you. With the RV sales decline ALL montana state parks under $25 and shaded and big...our favorite so far. Hope the NM state parks are as nice
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-16-2022, 09:02 PM   #36

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Good for you. With the RV sales decline ALL montana state parks under $25 and shaded and big...our favorite so far. Hope the NM state parks are as nice
Check out City of Rocks SP. Up towards Silver City. Some partial hook ups but the good ones are dry in the rocks. We didn't stay there but drove through last spring. Smaller RVs can fit. Stayed in Silver City.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-16-2022, 11:27 PM   #37

THOR #20220
Quote:
Check out City of Rocks SP. Up towards Silver City. Some partial hook ups but the good ones are dry in the rocks. We didn't stay there but drove through last spring. Smaller RVs can fit. Stayed in Silver City.
Will do..silver city is a must visit for all
Old 12-17-2022, 12:25 AM   #38

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Will do..silver city is a must visit for all
I've stayed a couple times at the Silver City RV park which is right next to downtown. Walking distance to town. Funny place though, hippies of all ages and somewhat lackadaisical approach to doing business at some restaurants. Some good food in town though. Go by the visitors center. Army vet volunteers there and has good info. I'm going back someplace next spring in the March/April time frame.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-17-2022, 12:53 AM   #39

THOR #20220
Quote:
I've stayed a couple times at the Silver City RV park which is right next to downtown. Walking distance to town. Funny place though, hippies of all ages and somewhat lackadaisical approach to doing business at some restaurants. Some good food in town though. Go by the visitors center. Army vet volunteers there and has good info. I'm going back someplace next spring in the March/April time frame.

Yes stayed there! Wonderful place
See attached locals claim best Mexican
We rode our e bikes 20 miles lots of bike paths
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221216_175237_Google.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	40384  
Old 12-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #40

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I quickly advanced thru the Class C to Class A RV in early 2020, since then i have monitored the price increase of the entry level Class C and Class A motorhome. In some cases the prices have doubled. After reading the posts, one would say, it's not going to be good left holding the bag with an inflated RV at a high interest rate. The proverbial Cat is out of the bag. Had to get a CAT comment in there. HNY...23