Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FreedomElite 24FE
State: Colorado
THOR #17183
Tire pressure monitoring system

I have a 25’ Class C Freedom Elite sitting on a Mercedes 3500 chassis with duallys in the rear. I’m looking at TPMS systems. This one from Lippert looks good.

https://store.lci1.com/tire-linc-tir...020106863.html

Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTurik View Post
I have a 25’ Class C Freedom Elite sitting on a Mercedes 3500 chassis with duallys in the rear. I’m looking at TPMS systems. This one from Lippert looks good.

https://store.lci1.com/tire-linc-tir...020106863.html

Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks.

Can’t help you with that system but agree that a good TPMS is essential kit. I use this one and like it a lot. It is more accurate than previous versions and I like that it doesn’t tie up your phone. You can mount the display someplace convenient in your cab and it’s always ready to go. The display is clear and automatically displays the towed if you have one. Also, the company personnel are terrific and they send you new batteries for each sender free each year.

https://www.tireminder.com/products/...tireminder-i10
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #3

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Can’t help you with that system but agree that a good TPMS is essential kit. I use this one and like it a lot. It is more accurate than previous versions and I like that it doesn’t tie up your phone. You can mount the display someplace convenient in your cab and it’s always ready to go. The display is clear and automatically displays the towed if you have one. Also, the company personnel are terrific and they send you new batteries for each sender free each year.

may be a stupid question Do I need 6 or 4 sensors with dual tires in the back ?
Old 03-19-2021, 10:25 PM   #4

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post
may be a stupid question Do I need 6 or 4 sensors with dual tires in the back ?

You’ll need 6. Be aware that installing the sender on the inside dual is difficult unless you have very tiny hands or have valve extenders. Many folks swear by extenders but I’ve had trouble with them. In my personal opinion proper “dually valves” are well worth it. They are just long valve stems that extend to the outside putting everything in easy reach. But they cost about $110 for a pair and require dismounting the tire from the wheel. Mine cost about $250 installed. Valve extenders might be a good alternative until it’s time for new tires. It’s all somewhat of a hassle but once everything is done you’ll have a solid system that might save your life. RV tires live near their limits and a blowout on a top heavy motorhome might be challenging. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #5

THOR #17183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

Pete,

Good point about not tying up your phone for monitoring duties. I checked out some videos from the link you posted and this system looks very promising. Also a little less expensive from what I can tell!
Old 03-20-2021, 12:03 AM   #6
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Ive been considering a TPMS on our Axis, I understand the setup and how they work, but my question is once its set up with the tires cold and you drive a few hours and the tires heat up and the tire pressure goes up from the heat, does the TPMS warn of this? Not sure how this works.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:08 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the tires heat up in a pretty fashion: no problem!
Old 03-20-2021, 12:25 AM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Ive been considering a TPMS on our Axis, I understand the setup and how they work, but my question is once its set up with the tires cold and you drive a few hours and the tires heat up and the tire pressure goes up from the heat, does the TPMS warn of this? Not sure how this works.

Yes, it deals with that appropriately. Or at least my TireMinder system does. I believe it permits a 20% rise before it alarms. And, of course you can see the pressure on the display before deciding if it’s anything you want to worry about. I was getting over pressure alarms occasionally so I just reset the base number a few pounds higher. It’s principle value is alerting to changes. Mine will alert to rapid loss as well as slow loss. Slow loss is over a period of several minutes if I recall. My display is mounted on my side panel and I glance at it periodically and trust it to alarm if I have a problem. I have come to trust it enough that I rarely check the tires with a regular gauge anymore.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:28 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I had the TST507 on all 10 tires on my dually & 5th wheel. Personally I wouldn't want a system that I had to pull up on my phone, I liked being able to see pressures & temps at a glance.
Just inflate to your usual cold pressures & when setting up the TPMS program to high temp & pressures to what would be of concern to you, but realize the pressure will increase several psi & temps will raise several degrees. It's not that important that both increase, it's that you watch for the odd one that seems different from all the rest. The sunny side of the rv the temp/pressure will be different than the shady side. Also don't be concerned that the system corresponds with your gauge, close is close enough or you'll drive yourself nuts trying to get them exactly the same.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Most systems have settable high and low pressure warning levels Generally each axle can have different limits. On my coach, the fronts gain 18 psi and the outside rears gain 22 psi and the inside rears gain 25 psi. The dolly gains 15 psi and the truck rear 20 psi. Of course the sun also has an effect on the pressures, as does the color of the pavement if the sun is out. The pressure drop alarm is preset. For the TST system is 5 psi in 15 seconds. I don't really monitor the tire pressures. I check the pressures in the morning, after I start the coach and if the are where I think they should be, I just listen for the alert warning.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:30 AM   #11

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Tires will naturally heat up when you're going. Your TPMS will show the temp and pressure change. This is normal. It's the large temperature spikes you're looking for. My pressures usually go up 5 to 10 psi. A little more on very hot days. My TPMS is preset at 158 degrees for warning of an overtemp. My normal pressures are 105 steer and 100 drive. I have a low pressure set for 95 and 100 respectively and an over pressure set at 130 and 125 respectively.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:50 AM   #12

THOR #17183
Quote:
The TireMinder system (per the videos I watched) will alarm at a tire temperature of 167ºF. The tire begins to lose integrity at 200ºF, so you have adequate warning.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:27 AM   #13

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
We've had no issues more importantly no alarms
With this system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-20-2021, 04:34 AM   #14

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Hi all,
I’ve read some of these systems can potentially drain your batteries as they continue to run while parked. Has anyone experienced this sort of issue?
Old 03-20-2021, 04:35 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I use this one and it has never let me down.

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Stra...motive&sr=1-28
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:07 PM   #16
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Tpms

Thanks for all your insights. Clears things up a bit. Need to read the description of the TPMS before purchase to make sure the initial settings are adjustable. I also think a solar and plug in model would be beneficial. No battery drain. Happy trails
Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Hi all,

I’ve read some of these systems can potentially drain your batteries as they continue to run while parked. Has anyone experienced this sort of issue?

The TireMinder system has a signal booster that does draw a small amount of current. Just make sure you wire it to something switched by the storage switch. Mine is wired to a basement storage light. The display panel has an internal battery that charges with a USB cable and the senders have replaceable button cells that last about a year. TireMinder will send you new ones for free. You can set the baseline pressure individually for each tire. I’m quite certain there are many excellent systems available as well.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:45 PM   #18

Model: Omni
State: California
THOR #22133
Great, thank you Pete! I’m taking possession of an Omni BH35 in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party of 5 View Post
Hi all,

Just turn off monitor in the cab! I have a booster in the rear I just wired up to a usb port if I ever need to turn it off can unplug.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
We have EEZTire TPMS on current rig, I set a range per each tire, I learned what our normal cold is and set 5% under accordingly and as we drove, learn what tires run at what high temps and set 5 percent over accordingly.
We have 10 tires on the ground and 3 different wheel types. Really like having real time data on our tires.

Quote:

Tags
tpms