Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2020, 01:34 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
We run the Ready-Brake cabling system on our 4-down TOAD Wrangler Rubicon, preferring it over the electronic systems with their intermittent issues with signals and such. We also run the matching ReadyStop emergency cabling kit. Once you get the brake cable length correct (take a drive for a few miles, applying the brakes frequently) it works fine w/o locking up the brakes.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p1/..._Style%29.html

I installed both in a couple of hours.
GVP
We are going to have to "bite the bullet" and get a towing /brake system for our VEGAS and JEEP WRANGLER JK. I am leaning toward the NSA system. Can you tell me what tow bar and baseplates you are using?

Old 03-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #42

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We run the Demco II towbar with a winch bumper and hand-fabbed tow knuckles that attach from the tow bar to the eyes of the winch bumper. Sorry that's probably not much help.

Most folks buy a complete tow package from an RV parts supplier or dealership.

GVP
Old 03-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #43

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Wrangler JLU here with a Demco Commander tow bar and Demco tabless baseplate. Love the design of both, especially the baseplate which is fairly unobtrusive.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #44

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I installed Roadmaster base plates for use with our Sterling tow bar. I went with the M&G brake system on our JK. Loved it on our Durango. It is a easy install and only an airline to hook up to tow-if you have air brakes on the RV.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #45

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We are going to have to "bite the bullet" and get a towing /brake system for our VEGAS and JEEP WRANGLER JK. I am leaning toward the NSA system. Can you tell me what tow bar and baseplates you are using?

I used the Ready Brute Elite for almost five years and also like its simplicity. However, twice I had the cable freeze on me inside the sheathing. First time was after 4 wheeling and driving through a clear creek. Two days later while pulling it, the cable pulled the brakes tight and didn't release. Ended up putting out a small fire on the JK brakes. Second time was after the JK set outside for several months and the cable totally froze in the cable. I believe rain ran down the cable into the sheathing and rusted the cable and sheathing together. My fault this time as I had the cable positioned in such a way to allow rain to seep into the sheathing. As long as you take preventive action to keep water out of the cable you should have no problems.

I would have probably replaced it for a third time, but we had purchased a Grand Cherokee and the cable would have been extremely difficult to get through the fire wall.

I ended up going with a RVi system that we use to tow both the JK and GC. The RVi system has a dashboard display that allows you to see when the brakes are engaged.

I have smittybuilt XRC bumper that I connect directly to the tow bar using the D-Ring tabs. The d-ring tabs are attached directly to the frame through the bumper.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #46

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
Who do you use to install everything? I not sure I feel comfortable having camping World remove the front end off my car or mess with my brakes. I live in Arkansas but would be willing to travel to get a experienced quality installer.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #47
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
Who do you use to install everything? I not sure I feel comfortable having camping World remove the front end off my car or mess with my brakes. I live in Arkansas but would be willing to travel to get a experienced quality installer.
Who are you purchasing the components from?

I had CW do my installation and they did well except for when they did the wiring for the umbilical cord which caused an issue with my InvisiBrake and blowing 7 pin fuses on the coach. The regional RoadMaster rep came to the house and figured out what was happening and no problems since. My installation was done when CW had their "Install anything for 59.00" special running which saved me a lot especially on the InvisiBrake and Baseplate installs.

Would I have them do another, if the same installer was there maybe, if he wasn't there, definitely not.

You can always check with RoadMaster, BlueOx or whoever's equipment you want installed and get their list of authorized/recommended installers.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #48

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I had an independent do mine, he came and did it at my house, even brought a helper for part of the install. Never had any issues with the equipment, all blue ox base plate and tow bar, and the U.S. gear braking system. I would talk to other RV'ers in your area to see who they might have used. Usually other local RV'ers are your best source for information on mobile techs, and who does good work.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #49

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I did all of my own installations and purchased everything I needed from E-trailer except my Blue Ox tow bar that I got from Amazon because it was cheaper. I trust my own work more than most shops and none of it was particularly difficult on my old Jeep Wrangler.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #50

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I did all of my own installations and purchased everything I needed from E-trailer except my Blue Ox tow bar that I got from Amazon because it was cheaper. I trust my own work more than most shops and none of it was particularly difficult on my old Jeep Wrangler.

X2 here. Installed the baseplate, Invisibrake, and all the plumbing and wiring in the Xterra last year. And now transferring the Invisibrake and installing the baseplate and new wiring and plumbing into our Wrangler. Not terribly difficult, but fiddly. Baseplate's on, wiring is run from the Wrangler's tail lights to the front connector, and I've just put in the cable and cylinder for the Invisibrake. Almost done!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:40 AM   #51

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

We have a ‘19 JLU Rubicon. In lieu of a baseplate, I installed a custom bumper (LOD signature full-width) with the frame tie-in brackets and tow bar adapters. I have a Blue-Ox Ascent for a tow bar and added the Mopar towed vehicle kit for lighting (expensive, but works well). For braking system, I picked up a Blue Ox Patriot off a friend who went a different route, and will probably replace it with an RVIbrake 3 if it ever gives me problems.

So far, works like a charm and is perfectly level with the hitch without any adapters, YMMV considerably. However, we’ve only clocked around 750 miles on this new setup, so time will tell.

Before that we had a Master Tow dolly (still do, need to sell it this spring) with a Prius usually loaded on it, and infrequently a Volt. That was the setup we used for the first 12-13k miles.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #52

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Big fan of both Blue Ox and Roadmaster but I went with a Blue Ox Ascent tow bar and a Blue Ox baseplate for my LJ. It fit perfectly and was easy to self install on the stock Jeep. FWIW I’m really pleased with my Stay in Play brake system.