Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #25916
Toilet not completely flushing

We recently purchased a 2021 Thor Chateau 31W and are having major problems when attempting to flush waste.
Is anyone aware of the fix?

Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #2

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Can you be more specific about what is happening? With RV toilets, you are filling the bowl first, then dumping the waste via foot pedal. Instructions should be on a label on the toilet. Is there something else happening?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappy2 View Post
Can you be more specific about what is happening? With RV toilets, you are filling the bowl first, then dumping the waste via foot pedal. Instructions should be on a label on the toilet. Is there something else happening?
Or is this a macerating problem some other non-standard RV toilet?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:41 PM   #4

THOR #25916
The waste and toilet paper sits in the bottom of the tank and will not go down in the black tank. We can see it from the inside of the camper. It’s like it stops up.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
The waste and toilet paper sits in the bottom of the tank and will not go down in the black tank. We can see it from the inside of the camper. It’s like it stops up.
Usually that is a matter of not using enough water when flushing or using paper that is not RV friendly.

There are also some tanks that have a shelve below the toilets and solids pile up on the shelf. The fix for that is a rod through the toilet to knock the pile off the shelf. This is an issue on multiple model RVs. Again, more water during flushing can help.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

THOR #25916
Thank you for your advice but we did use a rod but we’ve had several coaches and this never happen so I think my conclusion is a design flaw with this Class C. It sits lower. Just thought there might be a plumbing repair solution. Again thank you.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Water is your friend: lots of it!
Old 03-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #8

THOR #25916
Great advice. Thanks
Old 03-09-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
One thing I do is after auto leveling the coach I lower the drivers side by 1/2 to 1 degree so the flushed water and waste flows off the shelf under the toilet. This doesn’t completely solve the problem but it helps considerably.

Disclaimer: Your results may vary.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
There is at least one thread about the passenger side toilet and the poo dam build up. As EA said the black tank on a rig with a passenger side toilet is sloped with the waste dropping on a dry slope.
We had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with a poo dam the first weekend we used the MH. After having rigs that waste dropped directly into the deep end of the tank, we found out the hard way that the passenger side toilets need extra water during use to function properly.
After reading on forums this is our solution. We pre-flush a bowl of water with a squirt of cheap dish soap down the toilet. Refill the bowl and do the business. Flush, fill bowl flush again. Since we have been using this method, we have not (KNOCK WOOD) had another issue with a poo dam.
The unfortunate side effect, if you will, of having to use that much water you will limit the time you can spend off grid. If all we use is our toilet, we can spend about three days before we have to dump and refill fresh water. We extend the time by using campground facilities when available.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 03-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Great advice. Thanks
The water recommendation is spot on.

This is not boondocking friendly but I have never had a toilet or black tank issue following these rules if the toilet is not directly over the center of the black tank.....

1. One 1/2 to full bowl for #1 (you want to keep pushing waste as far as you can into the tank.

2. One full bowl of water after going #2 and another full bowl of using the paper.

You need to use the RV toilet much like the toilet at home. Some people on her are nuts (in my opinion) and don't flush paper. It's a toilet (without the tank) and meant to be used like any other toilet but you have to use it properly.

Again... this is not a great approach for dry camping but works perfectly for anyone with full hookups
Old 03-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #12

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Very Very important, must have at least four inches of water in the bowl. Not only does it help flushing it helps when you drain your tank. You don’t want hard build up in your tank.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Also, use Calgon to get things nice and slick. A cap full after every tank drain.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:22 AM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
It's a design flaw and thor is famous for design flaws. Basically you are screwed and have a water wasting, poop saving system. Get used to "stirring the shit" because as long as you own it, you get to play the game. That was just one of the many reasons I dumped the omni POS. It wouldn't dump so I dumped it. As said, park off level, waste water and keep a coat hanger handy.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #15
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
THOR #22388
So you do not have to add additional water to each flush, thus filling the tank needlessly. Before going number 2, we always take two 6 inch strips of paper and make a cross at the bottom of the toilet. Usually the bowl flushes all down clean without any streaks and uses far less water, That's if your aim is good. LOL
I'm sure (Like mine in the similar model) that your sink in the bathroom is connected to the black tank so there should be no need to worry about not having enough water in the tank.
4 years doing this and NEVER had any issues.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Also, use Calgon to get things nice and slick. A cap full after every tank drain.
We have been using this for the last few years. Works great. No odors and seems to keep everything lubed and slick.

Mix 40 ounces of Pine-Sol ( I use the cheaper Wally World Brand) with enough water to just about fill a gallon jug. Top off with a half cup of Calgon Bath Beads.
Use eight ounces in each tank.
We use one of the square Arizona Ice Tea jugs. Put water in first (leaving room for the rest of ingredients) so it doesn't foam up. then add the Pine-Sol and Calgon.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #17
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
It's a design flaw and thor is famous for design flaws. Basically you are screwed and have a water wasting, poop saving system. Get used to "stirring the shit" because as long as you own it, you get to play the game. That was just one of the many reasons I dumped the omni POS. It wouldn't dump so I dumped it. As said, park off level, waste water and keep a coat hanger handy.
Thats is a TOTALLY bad and generalized statement. What you are saying is that because you had an issue with one particular unit/model made by Thor, ALL Thors are crap and are going to have Black tank issues.
I have the 2019, 28Z and had only one issue with the rear stabilizers in the 3 years I owned it. NEVER had any issues with the bowl or the black tank.

It's a toilet. You poop, you flush. You do not have the water pressure of a residential home, so yes there is going to be some issues. As for the design flaw (or dare I say user flaw) You press on the foot pedal and everything drops through a 3 inch hole. Thor does not make the rv toilets. There are only a few industry standard toilets that are used in 15,000 up for 1 million dollar units.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #18

Model: Quantum JM31
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Thats is a TOTALLY bad and generalized statement. What you are saying is that because you had an issue with one particular unit/model made by Thor, ALL Thors are crap and are going to have Black tank issues.
I have the 2019, 28Z and had only one issue with the rear stabilizers in the 3 years I owned it. NEVER had any issues with the bowl or the black tank.

It's a toilet. You poop, you flush. You do not have the water pressure of a residential home, so yes there is going to be some issues. As for the design flaw (or dare I say user flaw) You press on the foot pedal and everything drops through a 3 inch hole. Thor does not make the rv toilets. There are only a few industry standard toilets that are used in 15,000 up for 1 million dollar units.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #19
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Wow. Instead of being happy that he has had virtually no issues with his coach you criticize his character. My Freedom Elite was the most problem free of the four motor homes I’ve owned.
Happy??? I don't think so.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Just wondering when you flush the toilet and you look down that should be the bottom of the black tank and when you fill it to the top and drain it should go right out. You have a black tank flush system that should remove everything. You could stop putting toilet paper down there and just put it in a can by the toilet and empty it each day.