Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Towing a car

Old 06-17-2022, 04:17 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #25530
Towing a car

Hi,
We have a class C, 2020 Thor Freedom Elite FE.
We recently purchased a 2022 jeep wrangler two door. And we would like to tow it with us. I think the jeep is flat towable.
Can you please recommend us what to buy if we want to tow it. Something that is easy to hookup and release. Our class V already have a hitch.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minh Nguyen View Post
Hi,
We recently purchased a 2022 jeep wrangler two door. And we would like to tow it with us. I think the jeep is flat towable.
Can you please recommend us what to buy if we want to tow it. Something that is easy to hookup and release. Our class V already have a hitch.
Thanks in advance.
You better know it is flat towable first. If the transfer case, not transmission, can be put in neutral it can be towed.

You will need

Baseplate
Tow bar
Safety cables
Auxiliary braking system
Tail light harness

Brands vary and prices vary by location.

The self proclaimed experts will be around shortly to tell you what you should buy and how to install it.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I am going with a Blue Ox system and base plate for my vehicle. I will be using the brake buddy for my braking system. I have a Ford dealership that is also an R V repair shop with several R V bays here in Orange County Ca that will install the system on my 2014 Ford Flex so I can flat tow it. I have been quoted around $4500 completely installed ready to go. There are several systems that you can select that will work. Double check to make sure your Jeep can be flat towed. Check the owner's manual or call Jeep to confirm.

Paul
Old 06-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks in advance.
Dave gave you a good list for what you will need to flat tow your Wrangler. You can look at Etrailer.com for a good selection of the different items listed. This is a link to Base Plates: https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2022_Jeep_Wrangler.htm
It is easier to get the base plate and tow bar from the same manufacturer for best compatibility.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:46 PM   #6

THOR #25530
Thanks
Old 06-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #7

THOR #25530
Thanks Dave
Old 06-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you are willing and capable, you can do the entire setup yourself. No real special tools are required, and I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on a difficulty scale. I was 65 two years ago when I did my install with the help of some grunt work from my "under 30" son.

My rig is a 2020 Chateau 24F on the Ford E-350 chassis. I have a cream puff 2001 Wrangler for my flat tow vehicle.

I found a new in box $800 Blue Ox tow bar on Ebay for $300... Everything else came from Etrailer and Amazon. I know everything was done correctly because I did it myself... no shortcuts.

All in, I had around $1800 in materials... you would likely have around $2500 today, paying full price for the tow bar.

Warning on a self install - there are some knuckle-busting areas, a lot of twisting and crawling under (if you don't have a lift). You need to have a good working knowledge of automotive 12 volt electrical systems... and decent mechanical/troubleshooting skills.

Being retired, I had the time... and NOT paying someone over $2,000 for a couple days labor in hindsight was a no-brainer for me. However, I realize others have no qualms tossing out that kind of money, and prefer to just drink a cold beer while watching someone else bust their knuckles. It just depends on how you roll... and the size of your bank account.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #9

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I am not an expert. I have basic mechanical and some electrical skills. I installed my own set up for our 2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited.

All parts were ordered from Etrailer. Watched a LOT of videos from Etrailer website. Took me and my son (helper) 3 days because I work slow. Lot of crawling underneath involved for the electrical wiring for the Jeep lights. I am at work right now. I will come back later tonight and post the Part Numbers I used. (You can use those for reference). You will have to decide which part and manufacturer you want to use.

Saved me $$$ for the installation and gave me a great feeling that it was done NEATLY and CORRECTLY.

If your Jeep is automatic, and have the transfer case shifter for 2H, 4H, N, 4L, then it can be flat towed. You have to put the transfer case in "N", and Transmission in "P". Check your Manual.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #10

THOR #25530
By the way, the jeep should have the plug-in for the tail light already right? as long as I have the cable to connect it from the RV. Or I have to install the 12v plug on the jeep so that it connect to the RV?
Thanks for advises
Old 06-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #11

THOR #21278
If you are asking about the 12V power source for your auxiliary braking system, yes. There is a 12V outlet at the rear of the Jeep. Some people run a 12V extension cord going to the front to use for the auxiliary braking system for the Jeep. In my case, I installed a dedicated 12V plug underneath the dash on the driver side, which is connected directly to the Jeep battery under the hood. Then, you have to install a separate "charge line" from the RV, back to the battery to charge your Jeep battery when being towed.

If you are asking about the brake and turn signal light for the Jeep, you will have to run a wire from the FRONT of the Jeep (where your power cable will be plug into, from the RV). That wire will then have to go underneath your Jeep (in my case, I run the wire inside the Jeep frame). Then the wire will go to the REAR, where it will split, going to the LEFT and RIGHT signal lights. I will involve some wire cutting and splicing for the "diodes". (Once you watch the video from Etrailer several times, it will start to make sense).

Quote:
By the way, the jeep should have the plug-in for the tail light already right? as long as I have the cable to connect it from the RV. Or I have to install the 12v plug on the jeep so that it connect to the RV?
Thanks for advises
Old 06-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #12

THOR #25530
I was talking about the running , braking and turning lights in the back of the jeep. When you said "From the front of the jeep" do did not meant from the back of the RV right? because I saw a plug in the back of RV , and in some youtube video , I saw people plugpged a cable from the back of the RV to the front of the jeep, and that was it. I wonder if that plug in the front of the jeep is something I have to install or it is already there. and if it is there, I just have to run the wire like you said to the back of the jeep?
Old 06-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I was talking about the running , braking and turning lights in the back of the jeep. When you said "From the front of the jeep" do did not meant from the back of the RV right? because I saw a plug in the back of RV , and in some youtube video , I saw people plugpged a cable from the back of the RV to the front of the jeep, and that was it. I wonder if that plug in the front of the jeep is something I have to install or it is already there. and if it is there, I just have to run the wire like you said to the back of the jeep?
That plug is NOT already there. You have to install it with the tail light wiring kit that you choose.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #14

THOR #21278
Like what 16ACE27 said, that plug is not there. You will have to install that, as well as your emergency brake release plug and your tow bar attachment to your jeep. That plug you are referring to will be the 7-pin plug. BEHIND that is where you will attach your wirings that will go to your Jeep Brake/Turn Lights. If you want to install a battery charging kit for the Jeep, that is where you will also attach the wire.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #15

THOR #21278
Here is what mine look like Front End.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #16

THOR #25530
Thanks for your details
Old 06-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #17

THOR #16721
You probably have a 7-pin connector on the back of your motorhome near the hitch.

You will need to install a 6-pin connector on the base plate (front of your Jeep). Correctly wired, the power cord "umbilical" carries 12 volts from the 7-pin motorhome connector to 6-pin connector on the front of the Jeep - powering the auxiliary brake system, tail & signal lights, AND keeps the Jeep battery charged while towing.

You should receive an emergency disconnect switch with your braking system, which mounts on the front of your Jeep. It works just like the ones on trailers - in the event of a breakaway, a cable connected to your motorhome will pull the switch, which engages the Jeeps brakes.

You likely also have the brake controller wiring bundle under the motorhome dash near the steering column. This bundle contains a "signal wire" which is energized when your towed vehicle's brakes are activated.

Since we have a dedicated toad, I chose to install a permanent auxiliary braking system (Roadmaster InvisiBrake). Some folks choose a portable braking setup which can be transferred easily to different towed vehicles. The trade-off is you need to calibrate the portable setups each time. With the InvisiBrake, it's a one-time setup at install, and nothing else to think about after that.

For our rig, a typical flat tow hookup:
* Connect tow bar to motorhome hitch
* Connect tow bar to front of Jeep
* Connect the power umbilical cord
* Connect two safety cables
* Connect the breakaway cable

It takes all of 5 minutes to connect/disconnect... even using a checklist - which I STRONGLY recommend.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:11 AM   #18

THOR #25530
Thank you very for the details provided. Its very helpful.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:56 AM   #19

THOR #25530
I have a question; is the emergency brake switch that works with the portable brake system you mentioned above needed to be wired/tapped to a 12v or its battery powered? I wonder how it communicated with the portable brake system?
Old 06-18-2022, 04:51 AM   #20

THOR #16721
Quote:
I have a question; is the emergency brake switch that works with the portable brake system you mentioned above needed to be wired/tapped to a 12v or its battery powered? I wonder how it communicated with the portable brake system?
I'm not familiar with the portable systems wiring. However, installation documents for nearly every system are readily available - just Google search. There are also numerous YouTube videos demonstrating setup and use of both InvisiBrake and portable setups (like the Patriot brake system).

The InvisiBrake system I installed has wiring running from the breakaway switch directly to the controller mounted in the Jeep. I also suggest you read reviews of different systems to understand the pros and cons of each.

There are tradeoffs between a portable vs. "permanently" installed aux. braking setup. The upfront installation of a permanent system is more complex, and not immediately portable - although it can be removed and installed into a new vehicle - it just takes more effort. A major advantage of the permanent install is ease of use... literally hitch and go. But it's not portable.

The portable units usually require little if any modifications to the vehicle. The actual braking unit can be quickly moved to another tow-capable vehicle. But you still must install a baseplate for towing, in addition to wiring in the Jeep (connected through the umbilical) so that turn signals, running lights, etc. are controlled by your motorhome. Also, since the portable setup is likely moved between uses, you must calibrate the portable setup at each use... which is unnecessary with the permanent install.

Tradeoffs for both... you have to decide which fits your style.