Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
With winter does anyone rent?

Interesting.. with the cost of MH the rental market may be good? Since we have a slow period and winter coming..let us discuss pros and cons of renting.

Let's do it!

https://rvlife.com/rent-out-your-rv/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If I were dead broke, or had the need for liabilty, or the medications made me just not care about much, yes, I'd rent mine out.

Con
The piddly amount of money generated had BETTER NOT be worth it, or you can't afford a motorhome in the first place.

Pro
'I made $3,000 renting out my motorhome' sounds great at a cocktail party.
Until someone asks:
'Net net, or gross'?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Might want to do about 30 minutes of solid research rather than take 5 minutes reading some propaganda piece in a wanna be rv’ing mag.

IMHO, if you want or need to rent it sell it and be gone. The next thing that will happen is someone will get on the forum wanting pity for making the stupid decision to rent and then getting the rig back totally trashed.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If I were dead broke, or had the need for liabilty, or the medications made me just not care about much, yes, I'd rent mine out.

Con
The piddly amount of money generated had BETTER NOT be worth it, or you can't afford a motorhome in the first place.

Pro
'I made $3,000 renting out my motorhome' sounds great at a cocktail party.
Until someone asks:
'Net net, or gross'?
But if youget$500 a day?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Might want to do about 30 minutes of solid research rather than take 5 minutes reading some propaganda piece in a wanna be rv’ing mag.

IMHO, if you want or need to rent it sell it and be gone. The next thing that will happen is someone will get on the forum wanting pity for making the stupid decision to rent and then getting the rig back totally trashed.
Not if you rent to people like us..my cousin a lawyer rented and took great care!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
But if you end up renting to my cousin, you are going to need your cousin.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Have rented trailers and motorhomes from “companies”.

Would not rent from an individual.

Would never consider renting out anything I own.

For people who only use an RV a few times a year, renting from a company like Cruise America makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
But if youget$500 a day?
20 days a month
5 months
$50,000! Holy cow, that's a lot!
30% tax rate state and fed.
Insurance
Wear and tear.
Luck =$15k net
No luck= $15k loss.
15k win this year,15k loss next year.

Break even on odds.
We don't gamble much.

Pessimists are always happy at the outcome. It's equal or better than planned.

Optimists say they're happy. Expectation or less is all they ever get.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:27 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
The things that come to mind immediately, as reasons for not doing this:

Part of the reason for getting and RV is to have a bed, couch, appliances, etc. that are mine - not used by other people. Also, one would have to remove the stuff that other people shouldn't be using.

While I believe that most renters would be conscientious and would not intentionally damage things, there are ways that they could damage things unintentionally and through ignorance. Some of these would potentially be invisible damage:

Operating the slide improperly.
Not leveling properly, and letting the fridge run off-level.

Also, people who just aren't paying that much attention could allow damage to happen, not knowing that things aren't quite built the same as what they have in their homes. For instance, letting dogs' toe nails dig into the vinyl seating, not realizing the counter tops are just a thin vinyl covering over pressboard and cutting into it or sitting hot pans on it, and I'm sure other creative ways that people could damage things just out of ignorance.

You would also need to check into insurance that would cover it while being rented.

Living in a northern/cold state, one would also have to dewinterize before renting, then hope the renters went south fast enough and came back north and you got it re-winterized fast enough that nothing had a chance to freeze.

Then there's the general wear and tear - miles on the engine, tires and other components, hours on the generator, etc.

Too many issues, even at $500 a day.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Unless you were renting out a very expensive motorhome, I don’t see how you could get $500 per day. I get Cruise America ads all the time, and can rent a Class C for a fraction of that, plus mileage of course. Mileage is what makes rental costs expensive.

I prefer renting from a national business because if I have major equipment issues, I’m less likely to become stranded. Local rentals would be less risky, but renting from a private owner for longer trips would not work for us at all.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #11

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
But if youget$500 a day?
That is not even enough for gas on one trip No way Jose I rent my RV out. If I need the money, I will sell it.

Now if you are entertaining going into Business to rent the RV and willing to do all of that work, have at it.

Now we use to rent, and it was common where we paid $695/per day. But I had the 40' Fleetwood Discovery or similar. It is in part why I am so fascinated with generators because in every RV I rented, there were penalties or limits on the use of Generators. I never knew why owners did that, but I never went over their 3 hrs / day limit or whatever the heck it was. Now that I have my own RV, I run my Generator simply because it is mine and I can. Hakuna Matata

If you do venture this route, make sure you got a commercial insurance policy, it will not cheap!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Occasionally someone asks this question and the general consensus typically is "heck no!".

Even accounting for the monetary factor you still have to get past the ick factor...

Personally we wouldn't and don't. One of the reasons for having the RV is so you have your own hotel bed that only you have slept in it (there is that ick factor again).

What are you going to do if someone that rents the RV infests it with bedbugs...(more ick).... (Through no fault of their own, perhaps they don't know.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #13

THOR #13058
https://rvplusyou.com/kb/rv-rentals-...nting-your-rv/

Watch the short video of 5 fails...

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-09-2021, 01:43 AM   #14

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
https://rvplusyou.com/kb/rv-rentals-...nting-your-rv/

Watch the short video of 5 fails...

Good luck
It's kind of telling how $6,400 a year gross income is the best/biggest lie they could come up with.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:15 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Four reasons for NO WAY!

Lice
Cooties
Pestilence
Disease

Not everyone has the same level of personal hygiene... that's why I much prefer sleeping, showering and pooping in my own PRIVATE motorhome. Yes... I'm picky, and I DON'T use public showers for that very reason! I've seen too many absolutely disgusting public restrooms - is that who's renting your RV?
Old 11-09-2021, 02:42 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Four reasons for NO WAY!

Lice
Cooties
Pestilence
Disease

Not everyone has the same level of personal hygiene... that's why I much prefer sleeping, showering and pooping in my own PRIVATE motorhome. Yes... I'm picky, and I DON'T use public showers for that very reason! I've seen too many absolutely disgusting public restrooms - is that who's renting your RV?
You haven't tried that Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray on your toilet seat? I don't recall hearing of anyone being harmed by a ceramic coated lice or cootie
Old 11-09-2021, 03:36 AM   #17

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Interesting.. with the cost of MH the rental market may be good? Since we have a slow period and winter coming..let us discuss pros and cons of renting.

Let's do it!

https://rvlife.com/rent-out-your-rv/...m_medium=email
If I needed the money I would sell the RV. I just would not want the hassle, deal with insurance or strangers in my bed.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:52 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
My insurance would not cover my RV if I rented it out. That is all I need to know. If a giant corporation like GEICO thinks it's a bad deal to rent out a privately owned RV then it must be so.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:53 AM   #19

THOR #20220
All good points!
Lice
Cooties
Pestilence
Disease
Old 11-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One other point, when rented for monetary gain it becomes a commercial vehicle and must be titled, registered, licensed and taxed as such.