Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
CJP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #22568
Unhappy Windshield damaged

I just purchased a new 2021 Thor Quantum on a Mercedez Sprinter chassis. My problem is that the windshield in front of driver has been damaged and has several large scratches in it. I found a razor knife in the windshield wiper well and assume this is the "weapon" that cased the damage. Perhaps there was a price sticker on the windshield and this was used to remove it. The dealorship at present is undercided what to do and seems somewhat focused on who was to blame rather than who will fix it. I would appreciate input if anyone else has similar experience and how they resolved it.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I just purchased a new 2021 Thor Quantum on a Mercedez Sprinter chassis. My problem is that the windshield in front of driver has been damaged and has several large scratches in it. I found a razor knife in the windshield wiper well and assume this is the "weapon" that cased the damage. Perhaps there was a price sticker on the windshield and this was used to remove it. The dealorship at present is undercided what to do and seems somewhat focused on who was to blame rather than who will fix it. I would appreciate input if anyone else has similar experience and how they resolved it.

If you’ve not taken it off the lot I would recommend you tell them it’s obviously not your fault and they should fix it. If you’ve driven it it will depend on your ability to convince them that it was a preexisting condition. If you are unable you probably can expect your insurance to help with the expensive replacement.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:15 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you already brought it home: why wasn't this issue addressed during the PDI?
You could have told them to replace it. .. or walk away from the deal.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Are you really asking what we would do if after we bought a brand new any kind of vehicle and somehow when we removed some sticker(s) from the windshield the razor blade got stuck in windshield blade and later when wipers were turned on it scratch the glass?

Or are you saying the above, but you believe it was the dealer who removed the sticker and dropped the blade? Then when you later turn on wipers it scratched?

If it were me...

Scenario #1
I would verify if some glass company could not somehow remove the scratches in the glass. Not sure how bad it is i.e. will it prevent you from getting a future inspection? If it really was with me, I might try to sit on the damage for 1 year before filing the claim. Your insurance company may go nuts or postal on you.

Scenario #2
I agree with the dealer in trying to find out what happened, and who was at fault (blame). Something called liability. If fault is found it is easy for them to fix as they will also use insurance. If you know 100% that you were NOT at fault, then I would allow them the time they need to play it out to see where it goes. If they don't fix, I will start the process all over but formally in writing. If that does not work, my 3rd wave would be a letter of demand including an estimate of what it will cost you out of pocket for repair. At that point you may consider a small claims court as the circumstantial evidence may be on your side. You don't need an attorney, but you may wish to have it repaired to proved to the judge that you really were about getting it fixed despite who owns the fault.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
CJP

THOR #22568
The scratches on the window were not evident until I cleaned the window, perhaps the dirty window hid the scratches.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
The scratches on the window were not evident until I cleaned the window, perhaps the dirty window hid the scratches.
Fair enough: I'd push the Dealer for some satisfaction.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
wow CJP sorry to hear this mess!! Can you call Safelite glass repair..someone on the phone may help with an estimate. Do you have pictures you can post?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
CJP,

I happened to be speaking with a RV Glass company and described your situation. First thing they said is that if it is just scratches (not a structural crack) your insurance will likely NOT cover if it came to that point. You really need to lay out your case to find smoking gun fault to get the dealer to accept the repair.

When I bought my RV I had to go to Florida to pick it up, 1500 miles!!! It came standard with a Stainless Steel grille for outside kitchen. During PDI we saw the box in a lower bay compartment and did not bother to open as it was brand new.

Anyhoo, about two weeks later back in Dallas I decided to open it up and noticed box was torn and it was damaged The stainless steel grill cover was bent in. As you could imagine, I was having a tough time convincing the dealer that it was like that when we bought because we had not even took the grille out and missed to catch during PDI.

So I went back to look at 70 - 100 of pictures the Dealer had sent to us of the coach before going to Florida; and sure enough I found the grill in one of their pictures they sent me, it showed the grill new in the box with the sealed box damaged on the top before we had even gone to Florida They still balked; but when I went to Winnebago Ind. directly; things moved fast and they (the Dealer) ultimately gave us a cash refund for the grill cost. One day, I may actually use the grill with the damaged top

Winnebago Ind. has been a gem to us, you may find you have a need to see if Thor Motor Coach can't step in and help you with this; that is if the Dealer balks?

Whatever you do, try to keep your insurance out of it, and if they must be involved; you prolly will need more than scratches for them to replace that windshield. (Disclaimer: The last sentence was NOT intended to be a suggestive statement to commit any type of felony)

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
CJP

THOR #22568
Interesting story and pertinent to my dilemma. Hopefully the dealer will do the right thing.