Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I grew up in WV. WTH is Maysville?
In Grant county, just outside Petersburg and Moorefield. About 90 minutes west of Winchester VA.

Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #82

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
One thing I learned in engineering school is you do not have to know everything. You have to smart enough to remember where to find the answer. There are pamphlets that come with each accessory than came with coach. If you can't find them, each manufacture as an array of info on their web site. I spent the first 6 months of owning my RV assembling two binders of info. If the is a problem that the first place I look. There are still things I now how to do that I can not do, like change a 100 lb tire. I do know who to call and carry a spare. You just need to develop a plan to handle every conceivable problem and have a plan of attack. Don't act intermediately unless a life is in danger. Take time to think you actions through completely including the possible ramification. Lastly, RVing is a great enjoyable adventure over all, just don't let the bumps, potholes or closed roads deter you enjoying the trip. A positive mental attitude is your greatest asset.
Yep - basically RTFM…
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 08-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #83

THOR #17154
A recent problem…

I learned the hard way about ensuring that the power cable ends are taken care of. I had to cut short my recent trip to New England when my automatic transfer switch stopped working. On gen, I had power. On shore, I didn’t. My multimeter showed 240v and not the 120&120 that was supposed to be on the input of the ats. I spent a couple of hours calling local (couple hundred mile radius) RV dealers. Most responded that they’re booking appointments 2 months out. I found one that’d help me that day.
The RV tech showed me where the ground / white wire had come loose from the screw and was periodically disconnecting. It had finally come completely out and had fed 240v into the ats and fried the motherboard of the ats. Don’t ask me about the specifics - that’s all I understand. $700, a repaired plug, and a new ats later I was on my way. I spent a night in their lot on shore power - all was well. I stopped overnight on shore power at an RV park - all was well. I got home and hooked up to my shore power and had no power. Gen power worked. I had an electrician buddy look at it. He discovered that a different plug end had the ground loose and periodically in and out. It actually got so hot it melted the rubber (?) insulation inside the molded plug. I’m waiting on new ends from Amazon to see if I fried the new ats.

Moral of the story? Those molded power plugs are pieces of crap. Replace them immediately if they start to separate or loosen.
Good Sam member
FMCA member
Old 08-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #84

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I learned the hard way about ensuring that the power cable ends are taken care of. I had to cut short my recent trip to New England when my automatic transfer switch stopped working. On gen, I had power. On shore, I didn’t. My multimeter showed 240v and not the 120&120 that was supposed to be on the input of the ats. I spent a couple of hours calling local (couple hundred mile radius) RV dealers. Most responded that they’re booking appointments 2 months out. I found one that’d help me that day.

The RV tech showed me where the ground / white wire had come loose from the screw and was periodically disconnecting. It had finally come completely out and had fed 240v into the ats and fried the motherboard of the ats. Don’t ask me about the specifics - that’s all I understand. $700, a repaired plug, and a new ats later I was on my way. I spent a night in their lot on shore power - all was well. I stopped overnight on shore power at an RV park - all was well. I got home and hooked up to my shore power and had no power. Gen power worked. I had an electrician buddy look at it. He discovered that a different plug end had the ground loose and periodically in and out. It actually got so hot it melted the rubber (?) insulation inside the molded plug. I’m waiting on new ends from Amazon to see if I fried the new ats.

Moral of the story? Those molded power plugs are pieces of crap. Replace them immediately if they start to separate or loosen.

Glad you’re on top of it. Maybe not all of them are crap. I posted this photo on another thread of an adapter I use. You’ll note that it’s rather expensive (!). I got a private message from someone who basically called me a fool and contained a link to a “similar product” that cost less than half as much. Maybe, but the one I use is impressive and, hopefully, is less likely to fail. I choose to think my “friend” was trying to be helpful instead of mean…. There’s a lot of imported crap out there for sure so I recommend searching for quality items when it comes to your safety and reliability of essential systems. Safe, happy travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3250.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	32560  
Old 08-07-2021, 02:31 AM   #85
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Hopefully my issues are resolved. Two travel days of 290 miles each with no further breakdowns. Now to conclude the trip over the next week.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:46 AM   #86

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
In Grant county, just outside Petersburg and Moorefield. About 90 minutes west of Winchester VA.
True Hillbillies grew up on the Ohio river!

Eastern WV is beautiful though... took the wife to Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls and drove up Spruce Knob last July. She grew up a city girl, but now WV hills/forests are her favorite... second only to Colorado. Pipestem area is another favorite!
Old 08-22-2021, 02:04 AM   #87

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
This should not happen. In this world it's ok to set days on the side of the road because the EPA says if it is not right it does not run. Write, call your Representative congress and senators. Get even be a pain in rear. There is rigs with DEF problems in all 50 States let them know.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #88
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Update

As an update we have travel over 2000 miles since the repair in Indianapolis and have not had any issues.

Although it is probably a lost cause I intend to write Cummins and Freightliner and include invoices for hotel rooms while awaiting repairs.

Currently we are at a FMCA chapter rally and will take the rig to the dealer next week for the final warranty punch list.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #89

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:

Some may be but most of the ones I've had are good. I was an Army and civil pilot for 45 years and the leading cause of accidents is pilot error. When there is an accident or incident the first thing an investigator looks at is pilot error since it's so prevalent. As an investigator you look at all things, but facts are facts. So how does that statement apply? Improper use of equipment. Rough handling of cords, not properly plugging in with a good twist to the "twist lock", unplugging by pulling on the cord not plug. Plugging into the shore power box with the shore power circuit breakers ON. All pilot/user error.

Lack of proper maintenance and that also falls into user error. The shore power plugs are usually molded and not likely to have any way to tighten or check contact security, but the RV side you can and should. Those wires can be accessed by removing the trailer side plug, 4 screws pull out and check and/or tighten. If one is loose it may allow the connection to heat up, melt and both connections fail.

There are improvements to the equipment and twist lock shore power connection. Some/many are a straight connection although lately I've noticed some with 45* and 90* wire end connectors. The make a 90* pig tail that takes the strain off the cord end when plugged in. Strain relief. I have had 2 for 50amp cords and work well. Current Omni cord has built in molded 90* end.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...39fnL._AC_.jpg
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote