Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sorry guys for being a bit snippet sometimes...it just get old seeing every thread/post take a nose dive into opinionated quality issues. Maybe I just got a good unit...maybe I just know how to fix small things before they eat me alive or maybe my extensive research and 2-day inspection/walk-through answered all my concerns before I bought it. Sears coined the "Good, Better, Best" pricing strategy years ago. It was based on quality first and warranty second...it worked for them. RV's are the same way. Material grade, trim and construction methods vary and...the more you pay, the more and better you get. I toured 3 THOR plants in Wakarusa as well as 2 other manufacturer's plants. I saw first hand the differences between them in their material qualities and construction methods. Insulation was one in particular. Cabinet and wall materials were another. My front cap is the entertainment center so most of it is closed off. I don't notice excessive heat inside the cabinets there. I haven't pulled it apart to see if its insulated or not. The OP's initial concern was how well the A/C's will keep the coach cool. The first few threads answered that. I really enjoy and have learned a lot from this forum...I've met a few great friends from here also. It would be really cool if voice accents and facial expressions could be displayed in our posts....we would laugh more. I've taken a few comments here the wrong way and I KNOW I've left a few misinterpreted posts behind. In the end...its all good! Merry Christmas...It all belongs to God anyway. Enjoy gift!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #22

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Sorry guys for being a bit snippet sometimes...it just get old seeing every thread/post take a nose dive into opinionated quality issues. Maybe I just got a good unit...maybe I just know how to fix small things before they eat me alive or maybe my extensive research and 2-day inspection/walk-through answered all my concerns before I bought it. Sears coined the "Good, Better, Best" pricing strategy years ago. It was based on quality first and warranty second...it worked for them. RV's are the same way. Material grade, trim and construction methods vary and...the more you pay, the more and better you get. I toured 3 THOR plants in Wakarusa as well as 2 other manufacturer's plants. I saw first hand the differences between them in their material qualities and construction methods. Insulation was one in particular. Cabinet and wall materials were another. My front cap is the entertainment center so most of it is closed off. I don't notice excessive heat inside the cabinets there. I haven't pulled it apart to see if its insulated or not. The OP's initial concern was how well the A/C's will keep the coach cool. The first few threads answered that. I really enjoy and have learned a lot from this forum...I've met a few great friends from here also. It would be really cool if voice accents and facial expressions could be displayed in our posts....we would laugh more. I've taken a few comments here the wrong way and I KNOW I've left a few misinterpreted posts behind. In the end...its all good! Merry Christmas...It all belongs to God anyway. Enjoy gift!!
Merry Christmas also. I get pissy because I'm frustrated by things that could not be seen during a pre-purchase inspection. Things like lack of insulation in cap, failing cap attachments, A/C ducting material and continuity. At least I don't think I've ever see it recommended to bring along a bore scope with the PDI. I'm glad your coach does well for you. Mine doesn't and my fault for getting it.

We were at Disney world last week and came back yesterday. South bound traffic along I-75 was a nightmare, stop and go from north of Ocala south. Strong storms for south FL tomorrow.

Enjoy al the holidays.

DW
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #23

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Understandable Gritz. But I think you can tell from my post I am pretty good at fixing the small things as well as the BIG things. I believe that I do a pretty darn good PDI before I purchase a new RV and out of all the RV's that I have purchased it's always the things you can't see that get me. No amount of PDI was going to find the issue with the front cap coming loose and what I found when I pulled it apart, but I fixed it and it will no longer be an issue. The screw through the propane line, maybe the line needs to be added to the PDI to make sure it's routed correctly and no screws are put through it anywhere, but I fixed it. Bottoms falling out of the drawers, guess add to the PDI to pull the drawers out and make sure that they're put together correctly, mine started falling out day 1, but I pulled them all out and fixed them.
It would make sense that the more you pay for an RV the better it should be constructed and have the least amount of issues, this RV is by far the most expensive RV that I have purchased to date and it has been the biggest headache with build quality.
Will we keep this one much longer? can't say, but I can say any more big issues like the cap and it will be gone, hopefully by now I have found all the big headaches and have nothing left but little things that will pop up and there is really no way around that, these RV's do take a beating driving down the road.
Hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS Gritz and that your rig keeps giving you years of trouble free enjoyment
Old 12-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #24

Model: Omni XG32
State: Idaho
THOR #23824
kwplot34, How did you insulate the front cap. That is on my to-do list when I install the fan in the front vent
2019 Mirage Side-by-side Cargo trailer
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder
ksroskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #25

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Understandable Gritz. But I think you can tell from my post I am pretty good at fixing the small things as well as the BIG things. I believe that I do a pretty darn good PDI before I purchase a new RV and out of all the RV's that I have purchased it's always the things you can't see that get me. No amount of PDI was going to find the issue with the front cap coming loose and what I found when I pulled it apart, but I fixed it and it will no longer be an issue. The screw through the propane line, maybe the line needs to be added to the PDI to make sure it's routed correctly and no screws are put through it anywhere, but I fixed it. Bottoms falling out of the drawers, guess add to the PDI to pull the drawers out and make sure that they're put together correctly, mine started falling out day 1, but I pulled them all out and fixed them.
It would make sense that the more you pay for an RV the better it should be constructed and have the least amount of issues, this RV is by far the most expensive RV that I have purchased to date and it has been the biggest headache with build quality.
Will we keep this one much longer? can't say, but I can say any more big issues like the cap and it will be gone, hopefully by now I have found all the big headaches and have nothing left but little things that will pop up and there is really no way around that, these RV's do take a beating driving down the road.
Hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS Gritz and that your rig keeps giving you years of trouble free enjoyment
Well you now own the high end premium unit! If I added all the man hours up that I’ve spent fixing and modifying stuff, I’ve got a Prevost.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #26

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksroskel View Post
kwplot34, How did you insulate the front cap. That is on my to-do list when I install the fan in the front vent
If you look in my thread "Front cap fix" you will find the insulation I used and how I installed it, with plenty of pictures. Removing all of the interior trim is pretty easy. With the trim removed it makes running wires to the front vent for the fan much easier, I did that while I cap apart also.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #27

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Well you now own the high end premium unit! If I added all the man hours up that I’ve spent fixing and modifying stuff, I’ve got a Prevost.
LOL, Never looked at that way. I do have a bunch of hours in mine.