Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It been said before that in Thor Industries bushiness model only the dealer's wants and wishes are of Thor Industries concern. Thor Industries Does NOT build custom RV for individuals When Thompson bought Airstream he saw the need to fill the dealer's exceptions for quantity and price. Quality was up to the individual plants and not part of the dealers contracts. The dealer QCs the RV either when they pickup the RV at the factory storage yard or on delivery to the dealer's lot if delivered by a contract delivery firm. It is up to the dealer to satisfy the customer. Thor Industries does not use a car or truck dealer model (dealer program).

Thor Industries now had 21 manufacturing plants in 7 different states. Each factory Airstream, Jayco, Entegra, Tiffin, etc is it own entity. If you have a problem with plant 350's quality, don't just say Thor has a QC problem unless you have sampled at least one of each plants products.

MHSRV was happy to show me a copy of the Dealers Delivery Checklist of 210 items (the original was to returned to Plant 750 4 days after delivery). All items dealing with the water water system were red lined on the checklist with a note NOT Checked. There was a red tag on the kitchen sink faucet stating the coach was winterized and not to test the water heater. During the PDI with the salesman and PDI tech in the delivery barn, the tech called another tech to put water in tank and de-winterize the coach. Because of a January storm we spent 40 hours living in the coach before we left the delivery barn. We were unable to find a defect in the coach. The PDI tech went with us to the dump station just before we left, to make sure I knew how the system worked. The only item fixed under warranty was the water heater electrical relay Happy to report the coach is still working as designed and the partial paint looks brand new.
Interesting about the "dealer model". So, how does the RV dealers source their products? If not on some type of contracted consignment, do they actually purchase them? Seems like a lot of $$$ sitting on the larger dealer lots! Which I understand with the "auto dealer" model. What happens to unsold "aged" inventory? Does it just sit until sold... at an ever decreasing profit margin? Would be interested to know exactly how the RV dealerships financial model works!

Old 05-19-2022, 01:02 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Interesting about the "dealer model". So, how does the RV dealers source their products? If not on some type of contracted consignment, do they actually purchase them? Seems like a lot of $$$ sitting on the larger dealer lots! Which I understand with the "auto dealer" model. What happens to unsold "aged" inventory? Does it just sit until sold... at an ever decreasing profit margin? Would be interested to know exactly how the RV dealerships financial model works!
I believe it’s called floor financing and yes the dealers pay for their inventory up front. Banks are on the hook if a dealer goes under. Thor’s annual report a few years ago explained the entire process.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:11 AM   #23

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Pictures would go a long way here. Take a few pictures of the area where primer is visible. Is this what you paint looks like? 2022 Omni XG32 is very high end. There are so many layers of paint, stripes, its hard to see base color. This looks like a very high quality paint scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-18_21-09-04.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	37580  
Old 05-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #24

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Omni paint

Of all the problems and quality issues I had with the omni, paint wasn't one of them. It was a gorgeous paint job, good coverage, no dirt or debris under the paint, complete coverage of the clear. No edges to the various layers and colors after the clear was put on. Good buffing and post painting treatment. I did get some vials of the various colors in a package that proved to be useless though. They were dried out and not usable. I had a corner where a low hanging stiff limb scratched the side and when I got the touch up paint I couldn't use a couple of them. I think at the paint shop the vials were left open too long before capping and damaged the samples.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #25

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9843 View Post
I purchased a new 2022 Omni XG32 a few months ago. Had some typical new coach issues but the big issue is the paint job. I can clearly see numerous places where the paint is so thin you can see the primer underneath as well as some orange peel spots. The paint manufacturer sent a rep out and he came to the same conclusion I did, nothing wrong with the paint, application is the issue. Now begins the battle with Thor to get the coach repainted. Wish me luck.

Don't let some of the garbage posted deter you.....

A few months after I took delivery of my 2020 Magnitude and went to wax it, I noticed the hood and tops of the fenders felt rather rough. At first I thought it might have been some tree sap. After trying some cleaner wax and some closer inspection, it looked to me like either a prep and / or overspray issue.

Thor had a paint rep look at it and came to the conclusion it was an overspray issue. Thor agreed to correct it... even if it mean repainting the hood and fenders.

They had me take it to the dealer, which had a very good body shop. They were able to address it without repainting it.

While a good PDI catches a lot of things, it can't catch everything. Some things aren't exposed until after you take deliver because some things aren't blatantly obvious. I did a very thorough PDI but did not catch the overspray issue.

As much as many of complain about Thor, the whole reason I have stuck with them is their customer service has been excellent.... at least prior to COVID.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's not to deter the op.
Too late for the op, he has to follow a path
That hopefully
We can keep potential owners who read this
from having to wallow through.

I don't care why he took delivery.
I care that people about to take delivery know why not to take delivery.

The op was just a vehicle to attach the warning sign to.
Some of us here aren't beating up op's.
We're enticing newbs to consider examples of
What not to do,
how to read warnings,
learn of specifics they don't even have a general knowledge of.

Koldman is a perfect example of someone who
Comprehended our/op words and the spaces between them,
Learned from both affrontric and nuanced responses here,
Applied,
Dismissed a few dealers and rv's based on the knowledge acquired here,
Consequently and also by direct ability, now has little to complain about about his purchase.

The op in this case was kind enough to come back and reveal why he missed it.
No whine, no puffing up, no thought of any word being a personal attack.

Now, due to this thread's op's graciousness
Some newb to be
Knows to look at final finish in full daylight.

If an op takes umbrage instead of learns...that's a tale of how they missed it all in the firsdplace.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #27

Model: Omni XG32
State: Idaho
THOR #26774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Cosmetic issues are not warranty issues. You accepted the cosmetics of the unit at purchase why would the manufacturer care now, months later?
My attorney disagrees, we shall see
Old 05-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #28

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9843 View Post
My attorney disagrees, we shall see
You shouldn't need the attorney. As I said in my previous post, Thor was willing to stand behind the paint on my Magnitude and do something about it.

The body shop at the Factory Service Center in Wakarusa is top notch. When I had my coach up at there for some warranty work, they found some paint damage that was underneath the awning but you could really only see if it if you were on a ladder. The Factory Service Techs didn't know if it happened on the line or at the dealer..... but they pointed it out and sent it to the body shop to be corrected. They did all that on their own and their paint work was great.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You couldnt give me $10,000 cash and free legal to say
Lawyer
To Thor on the first go round.
Judge is right(as usual) and has more experience with Thor than anyone should have to have..

It's all but impossible to not be treated fair by them.

They warranted my used coach and overnighted parts, someone else here got them to service a 4 year old coach.

You are entirely, absolutely, about to buy yourself years of delay followed by six months in the shop if you win. Their corporate attorney will backburner you so fast....

Someone is going to shout lemon law pretty soon.
Someone doesn't know cosmetic from popcicle stick.

Attitude means everything when on the phone with Thor.
Read what is not said when you read a Thor horror story.told by a disgruntled.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote