Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Cabover challenge - bug removal - waxing

This is our first Class C and we find it challenging accessing the cabover to remove bugs and wax it with a ladder. We painted the front and rear caps on our Class A and became proficient erecting and using walk boards in the garage. Since we already had everything we needed to place a walk board over the hood of the Class C decided to try that. It worked out great and we removed the bugs and washed the cabover and then applied a coat of wax. Now to get the rest of the coach waxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_112343.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	32123  

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have an extension pole with a brush that I use to wash the coach. I also will spray bug cleaner on the brush and work it into the front cap to loosen and remove some of the bugs before washing.

I am a little luckier because my Super C has a large window in the front cap so I only need to wax the outer sides of the front cap and section above the windshield and I can reach those sections with a regular ladder.

I'm also done with the waxing bit...... I have full body paint and I use Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Wax and also Turtle Wax Ceramic Car Wash. It leaves a great shine and leaves the surface very slick. If I sit my cell phone on the hood when I'm done, it will slide right off.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Here's a question for you guys: We got the paint/decal protectant when we bought our 28A (I know, foolish, but, hey, it's our first one!). Is it necessary to wax? I usually use a cleaner/wax on my cars. Will that strip off that expensive coating?

BTW, you guys rock!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Here's a question for you guys: We got the paint/decal protectant when we bought our 28A (I know, foolish, but, hey, it's our first one!). Is it necessary to wax? I usually use a cleaner/wax on my cars. Will that strip off that expensive coating?

BTW, you guys rock!

Here is a good guide to follow....

https://www.prestigeautoarmor.com/ce...ng-maintenance
Old 07-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just take off my ,glasses: then I don't see nothin' that needs cleaning...
Old 07-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
This is our first Class C and we find it challenging accessing the cabover to remove bugs and wax it with a ladder. We painted the front and rear caps on our Class A and became proficient erecting and using walk boards in the garage. Since we already had everything we needed to place a walk board over the hood of the Class C decided to try that. It worked out great and we removed the bugs and washed the cabover and then applied a coat of wax. Now to get the rest of the coach waxed.
that garage is a very sweet set up for your rig! Sure do wish I had something like that!

On another rv forum I used to frequent, there was a guy with a huge A with a garage like that attached to his house. He used a roll around scaffold. That's what I would look into
similar to this
https://www.toolots.com/multipurpose...xoCAAMQAvD_BwE
he had it rigged up with all his supplies and could easily just roll around the RV.

That's what I would do for the sides and rear. That + your board and a ladder on the other side for the nose would make a very good set up. Actually if I had a garage, I might even think about ways to just set up a semi-permenant or even a permenant platform for the front that would just always be there when you pull in....like a mini mezzanine!
Old 07-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #7

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
that garage is a very sweet set up for your rig! Sure do wish I had something like that!

On another rv forum I used to frequent, there was a guy with a huge A with a garage like that attached to his house. He used a roll around scaffold. That's what I would look into
similar to this
https://www.toolots.com/multipurpose...xoCAAMQAvD_BwE
he had it rigged up with all his supplies and could easily just roll around the RV.

That's what I would do for the sides and rear. That + your board and a ladder on the other side for the nose would make a very good set up. Actually if I had a garage, I might even think about ways to just set up a semi-permenant or even a permenant platform for the front that would just always be there when you pull in....like a mini mezzanine!
I have one of those roll around scaffolds (see photo) but on a Class C it has the same problem as a ladder. The front bumper keeps you from getting close enough to the cabover to reach everything. The walk board over the hood puts you where you need to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_092952.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	32136  
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote