Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #20809
LED headlight upgrade weird buzzing

Anyone else upgrade to LED's? Im getting a weird buzzing sound from the dash only when in drive and on low beams. Goes away in park or in drive and on high beams. These are the mirimoto headlights and they are fantastic and a huge upgrade over stock.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 PM   #2

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Anyone else upgrade to LED's? Im getting a weird buzzing sound from the dash only when in drive and on low beams. Goes away in park or in drive and on high beams. These are the mirimoto headlights and they are fantastic and a huge upgrade over stock.
Hello, I don't think it's coming from your dashboard there is just little to no insulation between you and the front of your vehicle. The noise that you are hearing is more than likely the fan that is attached to the back of the light in order to keep it cool. I believe although I won't swear to it that the reason you don't hear it when you're in gear is because of road noise and the engine. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I up graded mine to LED and there's no noise. Turn your headlights on and listen by the headlight housing for noise
Old 02-12-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Do you have Morimoto headlight assemblies, or just their bulbs?
Old 02-12-2022, 04:27 AM   #5

THOR #20809
the whole assembly. Morimoto support just back to me and said its likely the drl (day time running light) setting. Just flew back to NY so it'll be a bit before I can confirm. btw, this buzzing is definitely in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_110211.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	36108  
Old 02-12-2022, 04:56 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
So a constant buzzing and blinding other drivers is an upgrade?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #7

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
There is no proof that his new headlight blinds anyone. All headlight have designs buit into them not to blind other drivers. I bet people complained when the first headlight came out instead of a lantern on the vehicle. Then people complained about halogen headlights, then they complained about Hid. Now they complain about Led's
Old 02-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #8

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
These aren't your garden variety drop in halogen replacement led bulb
These Morimoto are a from the ground up designed to be LEDs , just as good or better than Fords oem leds .

Here's a link
https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...hts?quantity=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220212_110656.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	36110  
Old 02-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #9

THOR #20274
Quote:
I remember in 1970 putting aircraft landing lights on my car for high beams. Back then the relays were in a big metal box I mounted in the engine bay and every once and a while the relay would stick and they wouldn't shut off. The road would turn white they were so bright. Many time I would flash at someone that had their bright lights on and if they didn't dim them they went blind when I turned them on. In the old days on two lane highway and sitting at a stop light there was always the person that when the light changed they would floor it and make a left turn in front of people going straight, I would turn on the brights and they would just run off the road. Now those blinded people
Old 02-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I remember in 1970 putting aircraft landing lights on my car for high beams. Back then the relays were in a big metal box I mounted in the engine bay and every once and a while the relay would stick and they wouldn't shut off. The road would turn white they were so bright. Many time I would flash at someone that had their bright lights on and if they didn't dim them they went blind when I turned them on. In the old days on two lane highway and sitting at a stop light there was always the person that when the light changed they would floor it and make a left turn in front of people going straight, I would turn on the brights and they would just run off the road. Now those blinded people
This is what I'm talking about, people intentionally trying to kill others. A lot of people in the RV world are serious jerks without a shred of common decency.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #11

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
These aren't your garden variety drop in halogen replacement led bulb
These Morimoto are a from the ground up designed to be LEDs , just as good or better than Fords oem leds .

Here's a link
https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...hts?quantity=1
Huge improvement over stock is all I can say. Highly recommend, especially if you know you'll be doing lots of driving at night.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #12

THOR #20274
Quote:
This is what I'm talking about, people intentionally trying to kill others. A lot of people in the RV world are serious jerks without a shred of common decency.
When I had the old Ford 450 chassis back in 2019 I thought about a light bar in the grill but there are so many laws about having them covered on the highway in a lot of states it wasn't worth a ticket
Old 02-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #13

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
All This Fussy About Better Lighting

Look. If you really want to put this whole headlight debate to rest just do what I did. I found this nice unit at a WWII surplus auction and got it real cheap. I made some adaptions to retrofit it to the roof of my class A. Now I can see at least 12 miles up the road ahead like it was daytime. So bright I have to wear shades while driving at night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	war surplus.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	36160  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:37 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Why do LED lights blind me?
The problem is that LED headlights (also HID) emit far more blue light than incandescent halogen bulbs do. Blue light scatters more, off dirt on your windscreen, off dust or mist in the air, and within your eye. As you age this latter gets worse.

Are LED headlights dangerous?
In addition, LED daytime running lamps, as well as overly-bright LED tail-lights, brake-lights and turn signals, are a source of fatal distraction, creating what is known as inattentional blindness or the “Las Vegas Effect”, a visual field so polluted by distracting glare that the brain has a hard time keeping focused ...
Old 02-18-2022, 02:04 AM   #15

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
The problem is that LED headlights (also HID) emit far more blue light than incandescent halogen bulbs do. Blue light scatters more, off dirt on your windscreen, off dust or mist in the air, and within your eye. As you age this latter gets worse.

In addition, LED daytime running lamps, as well as overly-bright LED tail-lights, brake-lights and turn signals, are a source of fatal distraction, creating what is known as inattentional blindness or the “Las Vegas Effect”, a visual field so polluted by distracting glare that the brain has a hard time keeping focused ...
so as all modern cars move to LEDs whats the solution if the above is true?
Old 02-18-2022, 02:47 AM   #16

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post

I'm 70, how long before this starts to happen?
Old 02-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #17

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
so as all modern cars move to LEDs whats the solution if the above is true?
I am 75 with cataracts creeping in and absolutely do not drive the motorhome at night and try not to drive any vehicle at night is possible. There are not many advantages to getting old!
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #18

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Oklahoma
THOR #26486
Morimoto XB headlight buzzing

Larry - were you able to fix the buzzing as I am running into the same problem when I put the low beams on or it goes into drive. The buzzing in the dashboard is LOUD.

Outside of that the lights look great - I am hoping you found a fix as I would hate to return them thanks for your help!
Old 04-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Point to a factual statistical source for wrecks caused by high beams.
Read the 1:13,000,000 wrecks caused by such.

Now subtract those who shouldn't have been driving at night and needed a handy excuse.
Whatcha got?

Drivers and pedestrians and Wildlife that are not dead due to deer and dark nights outweigh the minor seconds long inconveience by about 3,000,000:1.

If you're not driving the smoky mountains with 3,000k low beams only, you're just arguing to argue and not living your truth.

My lightbar, 20,000 miles, I've had maybe 8 people tap-flash me.
You'd have to think these are the same folks who admonish strangers about not putting back shopping carts.

Have your headlights aimed by a pro if there's a problem.
Buy the best you can afford.

Your complaints will NEVER change the stoned and stupid and inconsiderate but your argument might convince someone who is easily convinced, to not upgrade their headlamps to the best available.

And
Lasers are next as headlights.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #20

THOR #20809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
Larry - were you able to fix the buzzing as I am running into the same problem when I put the low beams on or it goes into drive. The buzzing in the dashboard is LOUD.

Outside of that the lights look great - I am hoping you found a fix as I would hate to return them thanks for your help!
I have not had a chance to work on it, RV is parked in Orlando and Im in NY. Morimoto support said that they believe there should be a DRL (daylight running lights) option that can be disabled in the menu that should fix it. Please let me know if you figure it out.