Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2022, 11:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
THOR #27589
Not happy with Thor

As the title says not happy with my 22 Delano, the bathroom pocket sliding door dropped off the ceiling and is sitting on the floor in the pocket. Took it to the purchasing dealer to see how much and if Thor would pick up the repairs, only 2 months out of warranty. This is after spending 3 months in the shop going thru other warranty repairs. I only have . Almost $1000.00 to repair the track and rehang the door.
I did some checking and found out the screws the hold the track for the door are only screwed into luan plywood, not a cross member or solid wood! Just 4 screws and dozens of staples into nothing! Whoever was the designer for this should be stapled and screwed with what was used! Even an idiot knows there is no support in luan plywood as it is only 1/8” thick and very this layers.
I am thinking of pulling out the pocket door, blocking off the hole and installing a folding door. Less weight, looks just as good and easier to fix!
Not very happy with Thor about this! If this is the way they design and honor their products, I would not recommend them.

Smokeploe

Old 10-05-2022, 12:14 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Try contacting Thor directly and be nice on the phone with them. Explain how it was in for warranty for 3 months and now that the warranty expired, maybe they will extend to you the assistance to get it repaired. You have to be direct and friendly/nice talking to them.

Paul
Old 10-05-2022, 02:18 AM   #3

THOR #27589
I have called them, and explained why I was calling and told them about the first warranty problem, broken bed and no parts. They said that they would have to hear from the dealer first. They told the dealer that no deal out of warranty, will not approve. I just got back from a trip I may call them tomorrow, I don’t expect much. It just when you spend almost $180,000 you would get better quality and service. It’s the same quality as a $40,000 unit just a different name tag!

Smokeploe
Old 10-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #4

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
1. Not clear on what the Dealer told you?
2. Based on specifics from #1, are you unhappy with Thor because they have what you view as faulty design, or is it based on what Dealer told you what Thor said?
3. Pictures can speak volumes especially on a site like this, all you have to do is say 2022 and here are the pictures?
4. Given the amount of money I assumed you spent, Thor would be my best friend until they personally kicked me to the curb, I may bash them then if that were to happen; but right now I would stay calm.

I learned that my new RV from WBGO had a design defect on supports for the hood, they use some epoxy glue that eventually got sheared from the steel bracket & vibration and fell off. I was out of warranty by almost 2 years. Dealer wanted $1,800 for repair , so I call the RV MFG and in one call they sent me all of the parts I needed, ( my main parts were lost on the highway while driving), I then paid a Mobile Tech $500 who redesigned the bracket assemblies ( both sides) with steel supports, impossible to come off again. I ain't mad at nobody.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:57 AM   #5

THOR #27589
All the dealer did was take pictures and write a description of what is wrong and sent it to Thor for approval. I called Thor to express my concern that the way the pocket door is mounted is a very poor design. If you know what Luan plywood is or the paneling in a rv is then you know it does not support anything except paper. You hang 45-50 pounds with 4 wood screws you are asking for complete failure. Thor told the dealer that the unit is 3-2 months out of warranty and that they would not authorize warranty for repair, no exceptions. I feel that I have been kicked not only to the street but all the way down the block.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:30 AM   #6

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeploe View Post
All the dealer did was take pictures and write a description of what is wrong and sent it to Thor for approval. I called Thor to express my concern that the way the pocket door is mounted is a very poor design. If you know what Luan plywood is or the paneling in a rv is then you know it does not support anything except paper. You hang 45-50 pounds with 4 wood screws you are asking for complete failure. Thor told the dealer that the unit is 3-2 months out of warranty and that they would not authorize warranty for repair, no exceptions. I feel that I have been kicked not only to the street but all the way down the block.
Actually I know what Lauan plywood is, but I admit I don't know what a pocket door is? But no worries, this is your story and if you already feel kicked down the block by Thor having not even spoken with them, I get that frustration to. I was just commenting to help find a nicer place for all parties given a bad situation. But sometimes parting ways is the only way to go, it takes two tango. Good luck with your fix, because with my limited understanding of the problem, I do agree with not paying out of pocket to fix it back the way it was, that was the point of my 1st post.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Take pictures. Send with a letter to the CEO of Thor Industries. Explain the 3 mos. In the shop for warranty work due to no parts. Then describe the door failure. I assume the 4 screws fell out of the ceiling. What is the dealer going to do to repair it for $1000? Just screw the bracket back into luan? Is there a solid cross member to reattach the bracket to? If Thor doesn’t respond, you’ve got 2 options. Fix it yourself. In which case it’s probably better than any dealer will fix it. Go continue your travels. Or, 2, sell it. Rid yourself of the stress.