Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2021, 01:43 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We did zero chassis upgrades. Drive up to 80 mph with one hand to test steering.

No issues passing trucks on 2 lane highways..up to 13k miles in 1.5 years

No wind issues . Drive 45 to 65 in wind

So far so good

Upgrades group 31 batteries. 180w solar
Inverter wired to EVERY SINGLE OUTLIT

$30;made custom windows covers 1st time outside temp 32 inside 64 and all good

Will drop sun heat 10 to 15 degrees

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We did zero chassis upgrades. Drive up to 80 mph with one hand to test steering.
No issues passing trucks on 2 lane highways..up to 13k miles in 1.5 years
Ability prevails.
We also had no problems that couldn't be learned away by seat-time.
I'll guess 95% of rv owners do not have handling upgrades.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #23

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Personally, DW became very opinionated abt “side to side” sway.
- So we installed the more robust Helwig anti-sway bars vs the OEM sways that do very little to eliminate sway.

Also, as been discussed on many threads…
- a professional alignment with proper caster settings will eliminate virtually all driving difficulties

Here’s one comment on alignment I shared with the local shop:
“The caster should around -5.1 degrees on the driver's side and -5.3 degrees on the passenger. You need a little more on the passenger side to compensate for the crown of the road or it will tend to drift to the right. This is the range that Forest River now suggests for the Ford E350/450 and when I asked the technician that aligned my unit for these numbers he said that was about what he normally used.
*You will need adjustable bushings (I bought Moog 80109 bushings) since the factory bushings are not adjustable.
*Or you can use shims to adjust the caster.
*At the same time I would have them check the ride height in case the springs have sagged.
*The suspension on the front of the E series is independent but still pretty crude so when the suspension is compressed (sags) it develops negative camber and this wears out the inside of the tire(s).
*The toe-in is stock Ford which is ‪1/16‬" to 1/8".
*By the way the caster settings are higher than what Ford sets at the factory but they say you can increase caster up to -8.0 so these numbers are well within Ford's service recommendations.

As above not enough caster and a toe-out setting make the unit very unstable and tend to wander in wind and from passing trucks.
*I do not understand why Ford does not put the proper caster in at the factory since they offer a motorhome package so they know there is a motorhome going on the chassis.
*Although in Ford's defense my 2016 came with 4.2 degrees of caster and did handle quite well but going to 5.3 made it even a little better in crosswinds.”
Old 12-01-2021, 10:34 PM   #24

State: New Jersey
THOR #15200
Alignment, centered steering wheel, Safe T Pro steering stabilizer, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, front sumo springs, Oxygenics shower head, created oil fill and battery access door under computer table on passenger side. 2018 Axis 25.5