Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2022, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
2022 Thor Tellaro 20L Hybrid

We purchased a Tellaro about a week ago after selling our class A Monaco recently. I have had a few questions and contacted Thor customer service who has been very helpful. The dealer we purchased from knew very little about this coach and provided information that has proven to be untrue so thought I would share some information:

1) Dealer advised us we had a propane generator. In fact, they don't install one of those on this model and was confirmed by Thor prior to purchase. We do have an Onan Gas generator however. When I spoke with Thor customer service was advised ours is one of only a few "Hybrids" but not sure if this is a good or bad thing? I do like having the generator however but set up this way feel I will be running it very often.

2) We have two 100 ah lithium batteries but do not have an alternator for charging them from the engine. According to Thor we can add another alternator to do that but for now all charging of house batteries is either from 30A plug in or generator. We had an option listed on our build sheet stating Onan generator IPO(in place of) 2nd alternator that shows a $1400 charge.

I have run the A/C on the 3000 watt inverter but honestly don't really see the point? The run time using the A/C without the generator looks like would only be an hour at best requiring the generator to be started to recharge.

It is surprising "how little" the dealer knows about these things and not sure what the purpose of having a sales person is who provides wrong information?

We have taken our first 800 mile trip and so far very pleased with everything working as it should other than the sliding door not opening from the inside. I guess will have to take to the Dodge dealer for that repair.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like you have a standard MH electrical system with upgraded lithium batteries. So what makes this a "hybrid"?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:41 PM   #3

THOR #26907
Would agree pretty standard electrical system except my class A would charge the house batteries from the coach while driving without running the generator. I would be very happy if I could run the A/C without the generator running and if the Lithium batteries were being charged while driving.

Thor customer service is who called it a "hybrid" when I called but said there were only a few set up that way. I would personally not use that term unless the house batteries could be charged by both the generator and the coach engine. I am surprised in some ways that Thor has totally gotten away from the generator because I don't think Winnebago and some other competing models have but could be wrong.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
So you're on the Dodge chassis and the Alternator won't charge the house batteries?

Does the converter charge the chassis battery?

Seems like either an engineering fault or an assembly fault.

If engineering, the issue can easily be resolved by the installation of a Li-BIM.

If you already have a Li-BIM, verify it's wired correctly. Incorrect wiring of BIMS and BIRDS seems to be a frequent Thor issue.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:53 PM   #5

THOR #26907
Yes that is correct on house batteries are not being charged by the Dodge system. All house charging is from solar, 30 amp connection or generator. Not sure yet if the inverter/charger is charging the chassis batteries but will check. Still learning as we have only had this class B for about a week.

According to Thor, this is how this particular model was set up. We don't have a converter for charging. This model is set up with a 3000 watt inverter/charger that charges the batteries. Thor advised me we could add a "second alternator" to the Dodge System to charge the house batteries but it was not installed from the factory.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Yes that is correct on house batteries are not being charged by the Dodge system. All house charging is from solar, 30 amp connection or generator. Not sure yet if the inverter/charger is charging the chassis batteries but will check. Still learning as we have only had this class B for about a week.

According to Thor, this is how this particular model was set up. We don't have a converter for charging. This model is set up with a 3000 watt inverter/charger that charges the batteries. Thor advised me we could add a "second alternator" to the Dodge System to charge the house batteries but it was not installed from the factory.
Really no reason to add a second alternator for only 200 AH of batteries if you have a generator. I believe the no generator/larger lithium battery bank has the dedicated second alternator.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #7

THOR #26907
Ok. Not sure why Thor was telling me to do that but makes sense. I am not that electrically "up to speed" when it comes to these systems but did a quick check of the "LI-BIM" you mentioned and looks like it would be a good option. I believe my alternator is 170 amp and hopefully that would be big enough to use for both chassis and house batteries. I wonder why Thor would not have used this from the factory? Thanks for your input and still learning how this system is going to work.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:07 PM   #8

State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Wow I have a 2022 Tellaro and that sounds nothing like mine. Must be a new thing...or just different. And the dealers know much less than anyone here.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:32 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sounds like you have a standard MH electrical system with upgraded lithium batteries. So what makes this a "hybrid"?

IMO, standard motorhomes in this price range usually don’t have an electrical system that can power everything “including air conditioner” from either inverter or from generator. Most I’m familiar with (excluding pricey luxury units) may include a smaller inverter to power some loads, but require generator for large loads.

One exception is the Winnebago EKKO which was set up this way as standard, with option to replace generator with more lithium battery capacity.

In case of EKKO, I recall thinking of it as a hybrid electrical system which provides the best of both worlds. Granted, standard EKKO has larger lithium battery, but can also power house on inverter for short periods, and if you need to power A/C all day, the generator is there.

I personally like the hybrid approach, though Devil is inthe details of how well it’s designed.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:39 AM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut.....

Thor customer service is who called it a "hybrid" when I called but said there were only a few set up that way. I would personally not use that term unless the house batteries could be charged by both the generator and the coach engine. I am surprised in some ways that Thor has totally gotten away from the generator because I don't think Winnebago and some other competing models have but could be wrong.

Many Class B van campers have gotten away from generators, including some Winnebago. It is expensive to go lithium all the way though. I’m concerned some “base” lithium systems with only +/- 200 Ah and no generator will disappoint buyers who have no real understanding of what they just purchased.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut.....

The charger in the inverter/charger is a converter that is built into same box as inverter. They include a transfer switch also in that box. By either name it converts 120 VAC (shore or generator) to 12.8 VDC for lithium battery bank charging (nominal — actual above 14 VDC).

Connecting standard 180 Amp alternator to discharged lithium batteries could overload and damage the alternator if current isn’t somehow limited. Also, alternator voltage is not ideal for lithium battery, though it can work. One option is to have DC-to-DC converter that limits current and provides correct voltage. I’d get wiring diagram from Thor because it’s hard to imagine they didn’t provide some way to charge from alternator (though I personally like keeping chassis and house electrical 100% segregated).
Old 05-23-2022, 01:27 AM   #12

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Wow I have a 2022 Tellaro and that sounds nothing like mine. Must be a new thing...or just different. And the dealers know much less than anyone here.
Could not agree more! No offense to the very nice sales person trying to help but the problem is wrong information just left to confusion on my part. If someone does not know something that is all well and good but please just don't make something up that is totally untrue. I should have probably understood more of the details prior to the purchase however so for that I accept responsibility. Overall however I really like this thing so far even though have only had for a little over a week. I just hope I feel that way in several months. Don't miss the work involved in our 40' class A and all the worry that comes with moving a full wall slide...
Old 05-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Robert - YES the same sentiments here. It was shocking that our salesman (2 actually) came back with "Gee, I dunno" to some questions I thought were basic - AFTER the sale.

This class B is our 4th move in the world of RV's. Each time it was the same kind of thing, and I'm not afraid to say that the RV sales business is much closer to a used car lot level....than a luxury brand car lot level like they should be.

We have liked the Lithium option because we can use generator based appliances after quiet time in a non-hookup park. We don't have a generator. Chance makes a valid point that Lithiums have limits.

So far we have loved the Tellaro, but every situation is different and I can see other people's angles on issues they have.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:16 PM   #14

THOR #26907
I discovered today that ours that has the generator does not like to run the Air Conditioner with the inverter turned off. I started the generator then the A/C and the generator struggled to get the a/c going and then stopped while the inverter was turned off. I turned the inverter on and along with the generator the A/C worked as it should and the generator ran fine. I am assuming the generator (2800 watt) needs power of the batteries through the inverter to assist with the starting phase. Should a 2800 watt generator be able to run a 11000 btu a/c without inverter assist? I would have thought so but apparently I am wrong based on generator struggling to power it during the start phase.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #22773
The hybrid comment refers to the use of a 3000 watt inverter & lithium batteries while still having a 2800 watt generator.
try running the AC on the generator when the batteries are full ... I suspect you were having issues because of the addition load on the generator.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #16

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
The hybrid comment refers to the use of a 3000 watt inverter & lithium batteries while still having a 2800 watt generator.
try running the AC on the generator when the batteries are full ... I suspect you were having issues because of the addition load on the generator.
Thanks for suggestion. I believe the batteries were at about 60% when trying to run with the Onan generator. I have found that the generator seems to run smoothly as long as the inverter is on so am trying just to make sure it is on in the future. I have tested the A/C with the batteries full and generator off and worked fine but would not last long given the (2) 100ah batteries. I suspect the battery charger was pulling quite a few amps from the generator while the A/C was starting and doing the same thing. The battery charger operates even though the inverter is turned off.