Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2023, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #29227
New 2023 sequence 20k and Florida weather

Since there is no Onan Gen anymore other than Lithium and engine /Generator, how many hours can you have your AC working without been connected to shore power , Since we have 2 small dogs and want them to be safe.
I know you can start your engine and that will recharge the battery but is the AC will continue to work while recharging ?

Thank you
Potential buyer

Old 03-15-2023, 05:46 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sme84e2003 View Post
Since there is no Onan Gen anymore other than Lithium and engine /Generator, how many hours can you have your AC working without been connected to shore power , Since we have 2 small dogs and want them to be safe.
I know you can start your engine and that will recharge the battery but is the AC will continue to work while recharging ?

Thank you
Potential buyer
Would also confirm you can run it with engine at idle. On some of these rigs, I've read that they will only charge the lithium batteries when the coach is in motion, and that the secondary alternator (assuming the sequence has a 2nd alternator), does not function at idle.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:11 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I doubt you can get 6 minutes from your ac.

Make the salesman turn on the ac and run it until it quits.
Accept no excuse, accept no less.

Anecdotes here won't tell you if the batteries,in your,new rig will do it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Thank you
Potential buyer
Which lithium package would you have? The 200 AH package will run the A/C for a much shorter time than the bigger package.

Will it have Auto Generator Start (AGS) to start the engine to charge the batteries when they are low?

Yes the A/C can run while the van is running to charge the batteries.

Of course ambient temperature also plays a role: 80 degrees outside is much less of an A/C load than 100 degrees outside. Color of the van and parked in shade or direct sun will also make a difference.

Solar will make a minor difference.

Botton line: How comfortable are you with trusting the gadgets to work as expected to insure the health and well being of your dogs while you are away for hours and the RV is not connected to SP?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:11 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I wouldn't have any other RV package in Florida that wouldn't run an A/C for less than 24 hours. Generator required...especially with pets inside. I'm with duckface...make them prove it. Most camper salesgoobers have no clue how these things operate.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:25 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751

Grtiz is right…..

I would never trust leaving our dog in the coach when temps can exceed 80F without shore power or a generator.

I upgraded my coach to LiFePO4 batteries and have 850Ah. I also upgraded the Inverter to 3000W. I can run one of the two A/C units over night without a problem but it will cycle on and off without the sun beating on the coach.

During the day the A/C can run nonstop when it gets hot enough. I have ~500W of solar and that would not be enough to keep the batteries charged to run the A/C continuously all day.

You need to be looking for a coach with a generator.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:05 PM   #7

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919

If you have the 200ah battery set up your van doesn’t have the auto start feature. It will charge while idling though. Would not expect more than a couple hours on this set up. Definitely go with the 800 ah set up.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:33 AM   #8

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Thor does not install autostart on any of their class B RV's, from reading the owners manual .

Our 2022 Sanctuary has a 400AH system & leave my dogs in the RV with the A/C ( roof mount) on for short periods. On our 400AH system ,my testing ( 80+ deg.) showed I can get 4-5 hours before the system gets to 20% or so . Of course all this depends on ambient temp,.A/C type/brand , insulation . The hotter it is , the more the compressor will run or stay running & that will affect power usage .

The Roof top A/C doesn't skip a beat when starting the RV , but like has been said , have the dealer demonstrate its capabilities .
Old 03-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #9

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:

Thank you
Potential buyer
Expect about an hour up to a max of 1.5 hours of A/C using the 200a/h system.

The 3000 watt inverter will most certainly run the A/C but not for long unless you have very large battery capacity.

Thor made a few 2022's with the Onan and lithium package. You could probably add one to your setup but expect to pay about $3000 or more. The Onan 2800i will fit underneath the van toward the rear with adequate ground clearance.

A portable external generator could be used, but would probably have to carry it on a trailer hitch mount of some type or severely limit storage space.

Solar is nothing more than a "trickle charger" on these and are lucky if you power the small refrigerator on a sunny day.

The UHG should charge the batteries while running the A/C. The Onan generator certainly does.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:39 PM   #10

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
ditto...to all other comments.

The 200ah will run the AC for less than 2hrs running continuously, a little longer if it cycles.

I checked with some Promaster experts, you can idle the engine until it runs out of gas and not worry about a properly maintained the engine.

It gets noisy since the monster fan kicks in to keep the engine at temp.

I wouldn't leave my dog in the van unless it was plugged in and I have full cell signal for my hotspot so I can remote monitor the temp and cameras inside.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:33 AM   #11

Model: Tellaro 20A
THOR #26167

We live in Florida and We have a 920 ah system (2 lithium batteries) in our Tellaro 20A, it will run AC 6 to 7 hours, and autostart to recharge when battery drops to 40% as long as the auto start is enabled.

Be careful to ensure what your rig actually has installed, many salesmen aren’t as versed in the variations of these vans. For example, some models don’t have exterior city water connect that’s accessible unless you open rear door, these models were meant fir winter camping where water line freeze is an issue.