Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #24416
Radio only with ignition

Newbie here. 2022 Thor Sequence 20K
Can’t seem to find a way to run the radio in the dash without the key in the ignition. With battery switched to on and inverter on the radio will not turn on.
If I turn the ignition on but don’t start the vehicle the radio comes on. Then if I turn the ignition off the radio will play for a short period of time then shut off. It’s a Kenwood radio.

Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Old 01-09-2022, 06:18 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Make sure use switch is on, it should work then.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Be sure your house batteries have a good charge.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like Thor did not bother rerouting power for the dash radio to the house DC buss for your coach. That is OEM radio behavior.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:44 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
If your house power is on, and working, then the radio should work without the ign key on. The radio may only have power from the vehicle ignition circuit. I would contact Thor customer support (I like email with them) and ask what they suggest. Also, if it were me, I would try and see that all rear radio harness connection wires appear connected and that you do not have a wire that is laying loose. Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #6

THOR #24416
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to contact Thor.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #7

THOR #24416
When I contacted Thor this is their response

The radio is designed to have the chassis running to be on. This is a safety feature to prevent the chassis batteries from dying and leaving you stranded somewhere.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #8

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
If this RV has the standard OEM radio, then yes, it will only work with ign in accessory or on. If it has an aftermarket radio, then it "should" be wired to run off vehicle chassis battery or house power supply. So, the question is, what radio do you have?
Old 01-11-2022, 12:47 AM   #9

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmennig View Post

The radio is designed to have the chassis running to be on. This is a safety feature to prevent the chassis batteries from dying and leaving you stranded somewhere.

Thoughts?
My thought? I thought that is one idiotic reply.
Ask for an answer from the manager.

EDIT: I just found this in the 2022 Cl B Owners Manual online (the same statement is in the Cl A & C manual) Pg. 51

Master Battery Disconnect Switch
NOTICE
When traveling, the master battery disconnect switch must be turned ON to operate the dash radio and backup camera system (if equipped).
Old 01-11-2022, 01:15 AM   #10

THOR #24416
I have Kenwood System. I'm sure it's not standard.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #25663
Quote:

Thoughts?
My radio would stay on after turning off the ignition. I had to physically turn off the radio. 2022 20K
Old 01-11-2022, 06:14 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:

Thoughts?
Thor finally had two brain cells move next to each other.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Thor product (2017 Freedom Elite) had an unmarked switch on the dashboard that switched the radio from the chassis to the house electrical system. There wasn’t any instructions on it and I only discovered it’s purpose by accident. Do you have a switch with no apparent function?
Old 01-18-2022, 04:36 AM   #14

Model: Tellaro 20L
THOR #25280
I had the same issue with the radio on my 2022 Tellaro 20L. The Manual (printed 3/21) implies the radio runs on the house batteries. However, when I took it into the dealer for first service, I asked them to check this. They said for 2022, Thor changed it to chassis batteries. My coach has build date of 6/20/2021 (found on driver side door pillar). It also has the Kenwood Radio. I know earlier in the year it was Pioneer.

Dealer said they could change the wiring to coach batteries, but would cost $400+. I got a BT speaker instead and use with my phone or computer.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Any stereo install place, in any town can make it do whatever you want by drawing power from wherever you want.

I would not contact Thor about this.
I can't think of a more counter-productive way to save that $25 to $100 the stereo place will charge you than to get Thor customer service, Thor engineer, a dealer, a supplier, a service tech, many many phone calls, and a ups package involved, over a month or two.
All you'll accomplish by exercising the warranty is saving $25-$100, dead house batteries, and down time.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:47 AM   #16

Model: Tellaro 20A
State: Florida
THOR #26167
Thanks for Posting

Just got 2022 Tallero 20A, been wondering the same thing about radio..plays a while then cuts off.

With your insight, Now I’ll just use my bluetooth portable speaker.

On unrelated note, found out today what happens if your lithium house batteries runs when you leave coach and house power on.. the house power shuts off unless you had initiated auto start, and you’ll have to turn off battery switches under coach (mine are yellow) then turn them back on and push in the center relays on both switches, engage your emergency brake and start the engine to start charging batterie again or take it for a drive.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
THOR #28149
Quote:
Newbie here. 2022 Thor Sequence 20K
Can’t seem to find a way to run the radio in the dash without the key in the ignition. With battery switched to on and inverter on the radio will not turn on.
If I turn the ignition on but don’t start the vehicle the radio comes on. Then if I turn the ignition off the radio will play for a short period of time then shut off. It’s a Kenwood radio.

Is there something I’m doing wrong?

I realize this is an old post, but I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2021 FE22 that has the original equipment AWV700Ui radio. The radio will only work if the engine ignition is in the on position. Thanks for asking the question, bmennig. I thought I was doing something wrong too.
Nick
Old 10-17-2022, 10:01 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Thor MC is basically a basically a personnel management and purchasing organization. All production is done in individual factories. The factories have their own engineering and design teams. What is true in one factory does not necessary apply to another factory. Your fresh water tank may be in a basement compartment, under the bed or under the couch. It depends where the engineers could find a heated space that is large enough, that is not usually in a slide. Plant 850 coaches have 100 gallon (830 lbs) or 150 gallon (1,250 lbs) water tanks. Plant 150 uses 30 gallon (250 lbs) tanks for the most part. When coaches were hard wired, there were different considerations than when the coaches use a CAN bus. Class A (gas/diesel), Class B/B+ (gas/diesel) and Class C (C+, super C and mega C) have different manufacture's interfaces necessitating different configurations.

This is entirely different than manufacturers (like Newmar) that have only one factory and engineering team .
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:00 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
THOR #28149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC is basically a basically a personnel management and purchasing organization. All production is done in individual factories. The factories have their own engineering and design teams. What is true in one factory does not necessary apply to another factory. Your fresh water tank may be in a basement compartment, under the bed or under the couch. It depends where the engineers could find a heated space that is large enough, that is not usually in a slide. Plant 850 coaches have 100 gallon (830 lbs) or 150 gallon (1,250 lbs) water tanks. Plant 150 uses 30 gallon (250 lbs) tanks for the most part. When coaches were hard wired, there were different considerations than when the coaches use a CAN bus. Class A (gas/diesel), Class B/B+ (gas/diesel) and Class C (C+, super C and mega C) have different manufacture's interfaces necessitating different configurations.

This is entirely different than manufacturers (like Newmar) that have only factory and engineering team.

Thanks for the additional information. I'm new to Thor and to a class C motorhomes. I've spent the last 2 weeks pulling panels, crawling underneath, and climbing on top of the RV. I learn something new every day as well as see things that make me go, "Hmmmm." So much to learn.
Thanks again,
Nick