Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Thor Tellaro L vs LT model

I contacted Thor some time ago to determine the difference between these two models and they could/would not provide a definitive answer. I have seen both of these models advertised (2022) and have a theory but hope I am wrong. I am hoping the Tellaro model is not equipped with the L model Relion battery.

The manufacturer of the batteries (Relion) advertises a 100 a/h lithium battery in both an L and LT model. The LT is designed to be used at lower temperatures than the L model and has heating elements that sense the temperature and heat the battery to allow it to be used at temperatures down to -4.
When I contacted Relion some time ago, they advised that Thor installed the LT model of their battery in all of the Tellaro Vans. I have not confirmed this by physically looking at the batteries and wondering if anyone has actually pulled one of the battery boxes from under the van and how difficult it is to access them for either storage or removal/inspection?

Old 09-15-2022, 01:43 AM   #2

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I have a 20L - 2023, it has -LT batteries (can see the labels). As I understand it, these have a built in heater that kicks in below 32F. It basically redirects charge current to the heaters until the battery reaches a safe charge temp, then it begins to charge.

To remove these, for me: 7 out of 10 degree of difficulty without a lift. Oh yeah, you better be handy and have all the right tools; not to mention the electrical skills/know how so you don't do damage or worse.

While I'm sure they are lighter than a flooded/agm, they probably still weigh 30ish lbs each...guessing. They are bolted into a fairly hearty set of boxes near the rear of the coach.

I haven't figure out a strategy to remove them. When to remove what, and when to disconnect them from the cables. I'll give it some thought.

After reading the specs, I'm facing removing these for storage. We live in Wisconsin - the land of enteral winter, the batteries are spec'd to store above 23F (don't recall upper). We reach temps in the -20Fish range, sometimes for days and certainly more than once a season.

I'll sell the thing or start it on fire before I take it to the dealer to have them do it.

If there is someone out there that has good (safe) idea for lifting the rear 8-12", that might get it up enough where two people could handle the job. The sewer connections are going to be trick to back it up on something that isn't a gradual type ramp. Might have to get some 2x10's and build up a gradual ramp.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #3

THOR #26907
All good information. I am still curious about the difference in the L and LT models as you would think Thor had a reason for the two model designations. Pretty bad when you call Thor and they say "I will have someone get back with you on that" and of course it never happens. I need to look at mine just to "confirm" it has the LT batteries but that is good news. Agree completely about the dealer who knows nothing about these and gave up on them about a week after the sale!

I am in NC and we do have cold weather but nothing comparable to what you will be dealing with in the coming months. On our class A, I would just use space heaters to protect critical locations but don't think that will work on the van because it is so poorly insulated.

I have raised the rear of the van easily using drive on ramps that can be purchased at auto parts stores. I have done that to change the oil in the generator and also use the ramps when changing the engine oil. Thanks again for reply!
Old 09-19-2022, 11:15 PM   #4

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I crawled under and took some pics. The batteries are strapped into a tray, the tray is bolted in a hanger, cogged/slotted screws/bolts hold the tray in the hanger.

The problem I see, is that the cables might not have enough slack to drop the battery in the tray to the ground without removing the cables. For sure the negative has to come off, which is good.

Even if they are long enough, it still will be an ordeal to get them out so carefully as not to touch the terminals to anything metal...gotta pull the negative to be safe.

More to think about now that I see the issue.

I contacted the battery manufacture, asking about storage in extreme cold - weeks below 0F. They said, while no problem it's best to be at room temp.

They recommended to make sure you charge them to at least 80%, disconnect completely and you are good to go.

I'm still a bite tentative and may actually bit the bullet and pull them out for the winter.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220919_172410.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	39509  
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:53 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I leave mine in. But I have solar to keep them fully charged. Never a problem.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

THOR #26907
Thanks Ron for picture and information. I will most likely just leave mine installed for the winters in North Carolina and use the solar to keep them charged. Still need to verify that my batteries are LT's but will do that next time on the ramps.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:06 AM   #7

THOR #26907
Verified today that my batteries are also Relion LT models. Still curious why Thor offers an "L" and "LT" model Tellaro and they can't provide any information on why or any difference in the two and would assume they had some reason for it but for now just happy I have the low temperature batteries. Will just leave the batteries installed with North Carolina temperatures rarely getting to 0 or lower. Winterizing however will be a new experience with the van and may try and get away with a space heater as I did in the class A without any problems.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:11 AM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #28560
Call or email Relion, you should’nt have to remove the batteries for winter storage unless you’re somewhere very far North, if that was the case, they would be simpler to access.

The RB100-LT do have a Recommended Storage Temperature of 23 to 95F (-5 to 35C), talking to Relion you may get more information.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:03 AM   #9
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgia View Post
Call or email Relion, you should’nt have to remove the batteries for winter storage unless you’re somewhere very far North, if that was the case, they would be simpler to access.

The RB100-LT do have a Recommended Storage Temperature of 23 to 95F (-5 to 35C), talking to Relion you may get more information.

I think you’re giving Thor way to much credit for them making things “simpler to access”. [emoji16]
Old 12-15-2022, 03:21 AM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #28560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
I think you’re giving Thor way to much credit for them making things “simpler to access”. [emoji16]
You are correct. I had to rewire my tank levels today, Thor had the brown wire and gray wires backwards at the tanks. Glad I did, I used diaelectric grease and heat shrinks - Thor didn’t. Dumba$$es or colorblind.