Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Winegard - Tellaro 20L

How do I power off the Winegard - that thing is trouble most of the time and has a parasitic draw on the batteries, with the disconnect switch on.

There is only one use-case that it makes sense, no-cell and distant public wifi; actually like it's performance in that regard.

I have it setup to use my hotspot for it's default internet connection, just so I can get to it when I need to. In addition, if one of my devices does connect to it, inadvertently, the device has an internet connection.

Going thought the Winegard gets about 50% reduction in hotspot bandwidth, that's annoying but exactly as expected.

Mostly, I just run off the hotspot.

I just want it off so doesn't waste power and as bonus having nothing 'automatically' connecting to it.

Ron

2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Mine (in SOB) has an on/off switch. And you’re correct that there are plenty of circumstances where it does as much harm as good. If I didn’t have a switch I’d put one in. Just find the power line to the roof and splice in a switch that you can mount in a nearby cabinet or on the wall.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:19 AM   #3

THOR #27874
I will be searching for the power wire to put in a switch.

ron
Old 09-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #4

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I have also not been able to find a switch on the Tellaro and don't believe there is one. If you come up with a simple solution for a switch would be interested but until then the solar keeps up with that as well as the refrigerator and other parasitic draw.
I also only use it as a wifi extender and will not pay the high prices for the cellular data when I get it for free on my phone.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
I will be searching for the power wire to put in a switch.

ron
The attached may help. It's one of the wiring diagrams I obtained from Thor for a Tellaro 20k. The wire loom may run above or below the cabinets along the left side, haven't looked.
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEE4815-05.pdf (510.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #6

THOR #27874
Cool...thanks. Looking for a grey/white wire.

Finally got my alternator temp sensor, so, I'll be crawling around the RV tonight installing the sensor. I'll have some of it pulled apart, I'll see what I find.

Ron
Old 10-02-2022, 11:32 PM   #7

State: New York
THOR #28146
Can you just pull the fuse for it and leave it off?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #8

THOR #27874
Sure, just have to find where they hid it.

They didn't put it on a separate fuse in the box. The fuse box just has major pieces fused. They run a 'Left-Side' and 'Right-Side' 12v bus wire and tap into it with various individually fused components...ie. the winegard.

Finding that point where they tapped in, is the scavenger hunt. I have not been successful so far with this one.

Based on the schematic in one of the posts in this thread, the fuse is probably behind the refrigerator or the microwave...the clue is that it's in the Left Side wire harness with the yellow 10ga that goes to the refrigerator.

I just have to figure out the proper yoga pose to get a camera back there before I pull it out. I'd hate to pull it out the refer and find out its somewhere else.

Ron
Old 10-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #9
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Sure, just have to find where they hid it…

I just have to figure out the proper yoga pose to get a camera back there before I pull it out. I'd hate to pull it out the refer and find out its somewhere else.

Ron

Every RV should come with a bore scope as standard equipment! [emoji16]
Old 10-08-2022, 12:16 AM   #10

THOR #27874
Honestly, if you own an RV you own a bore scope/snake camera.

The real issue is what you find.

I'll be playing behind the scene videographer tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:39 AM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Sure, just have to find where they hid it.

They didn't put it on a separate fuse in the box. The fuse box just has major pieces fused. They run a 'Left-Side' and 'Right-Side' 12v bus wire and tap into it with various individually fused components...ie. the winegard.

Finding that point where they tapped in, is the scavenger hunt. I have not been successful so far with this one.

Based on the schematic in one of the posts in this thread, the fuse is probably behind the refrigerator or the microwave...the clue is that it's in the Left Side wire harness with the yellow 10ga that goes to the refrigerator.

Ron
With all respect, I do not think they individually fuse each component off a tap of a "bus wire". I have gone over the diagram posted and typically each colored wire starts from one of the connectors, that is all 'cept the white, which is indicated as
"Grd Term Post" which will be bolted to the frame I suspect.
Now, your Wifi Ant is wired with a #14 GRAY & White... ignore the white, it is only the ground. The GRAY appears to be tied to "Reading" & "Sofa" lights and I suspect it is tied in junction "B" (where the "Temp Sensor" is tapped off) and then...
Follow GRAY down and it is located in "Right Side Harness" 12-point connector (#1).
I do find it odd that the Alternator Relay and USB Charge 1 in the front also has a 14-GRAY... that is an oddity to me.
So, find the RH Connector and I would suspect each wire there will have a fuse.

This is how I read the diagram...
Old 10-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #12

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
How do I power off the Winegard - that thing is trouble most of the time and has a parasitic draw on the batteries, with the disconnect switch on.

There is only one use-case that it makes sense, no-cell and distant public wifi; actually like it's performance in that regard.

I have it setup to use my hotspot for it's default internet connection, just so I can get to it when I need to. In addition, if one of my devices does connect to it, inadvertently, the device has an internet connection.

Going thought the Winegard gets about 50% reduction in hotspot bandwidth, that's annoying but exactly as expected.

Mostly, I just run off the hotspot.

I just want it off so doesn't waste power and as bonus having nothing 'automatically' connecting to it.

Ron
On our coach we must remove the fuse for the carbon monoxide detector.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:15 AM   #13

Model: Rize 18M
State: California
THOR #28965
Quote:
How do I power off the Winegard

Ron
Had the same question, which turned into a quest... all I found was that they hardwired that thing in there, without switch nor fuse (I know...).

After much fuse pulling and wire seeking and loud swearing 🤬 I found a solution.

Climbed up, removed the dome (torx screws) and unplugged the power wires. Wrapped some tape around the contacts and the rest is History...
Old 02-11-2023, 11:19 AM   #14

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RizeMaster View Post
Had the same question, which turned into a quest... all I found was that they hardwired that thing in there, without switch nor fuse (I know...).

After much fuse pulling and wire seeking and loud swearing �� I found a solution.

Climbed up, removed the dome (torx screws) and unplugged the power wires. Wrapped some tape around the contacts and the rest is History...
Seems kind of like taking a torch and cutting off your hitch receiver because you don't plan to tow a vehicle.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #15

Model: Rize 18M
State: California
THOR #28965
Well... except... it takes about five minutes to get up there, unscrew the dome, unwrap the contacts, and reconnect them. Well worth it if you want it off.