Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2023, 04:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
FVIA is not, and has never said they are a consumer focused agency. They are an agency that represents RV manufacturers, dealers and campgrounds. Consumers can not join RVIA. They are also the ones that set the certification standards for the majority of quacks working at dealerships.
Yep...that's exactly what I said

Old 03-31-2023, 04:32 PM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There's a reason rv manufacturers typically use Ford chassis in gas motorhomes, it's NOT that they ride the best, handle the best or get the best mileage, it's $$$. For years Ford was the only vehicle manufacturer producing chassis for gas motorhomes, so it was the only show in town & still do have the lions share & still not because it's the best. Now there are at least a couple better options for better chassis choices, although probably more $$, but still better.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I don't agree. I don't think the buyer should be responsible for having their new vehicle properly aligned. You can blame Thor or Ford or the RV dealer, but not the buyer.
I agree, but Thor and the dealer don't take that responsibility, so the consumer has to deal with it for better or worse.

BUT,

The inexperienced MH buyer can buy a new MH that is perfectly aligned and still be a white knuckle driver swearing there's something wrong with the RV because it doesn't drive like their (fill in the blank) car or pickup and it gets blown all over the road when:

They drive it at 80 MPH like their car, on a windy day

They drive it at 55 MPH and trucks pass them.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:42 PM   #24

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
We drive the Holy hell out of ours.

I figure if a 19 year old recently immigrated kid can handle a poorly maintained f750 box delivery truck like a pro on i5 at traffic speed, the least I can do(I'd quit if I couldn't)is what that kid accomplishes.

Those box truck drivers offer no excuse.
They just do it.
Your RV is a box truck, nothing more.

It's a shame some 18yr old housewife commanding a full size Uhaul for the first time is eating your
'40 years of driving experience'
Lunch
by having to pass you on the right.

Just an observation through our big axis windshield.
You all decide who's who.
I doubt there's one among us who hasn't seen that Uhaul vs RV.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:27 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I totally agree that the buyer should take a serious road test prior (highway, city, country roads) to purchase. If a buyer hasn't done a serious, (emphasis on serious), road test during the purchase, how can they come back and bitch about how the coach handles after they purchase?
I do believe that an RV should be aligned after its build out either by the manufacturer or the dealer. I make my assessment based on my experience as a Chrysler/Plymouth auto mechanic in the mid 70's. Every new vehicle that left our lot had a dealer prep inspection performed on it including an alignment check.
Yes, I know comparing the auto industry to the RV industry is not apples to apples, but the chassis is still an auto industry product. As Ford (Chevy, Mercedes etc.) sends the chassis to the RV manufacturer with a basic alignment it should be up to the RV manufacturer or their dealer to check the alignment after the chassis is built out, prior to it going up for sale on a lot. (Dreaming here ) After an owner purchases' said chassis AND loads it up if it doesn't perform to their expectations, it would be their responsibility to have their weighted coach's alignment re-checked.
At the very least, IMHO, the buying public deserves an RV truck chassis that goes down the road straight, doesn't prematurely wear out the tires and has a steering wheel that is centered. As far as wandering around in the wind, harsh ride or any other handling complaints, it's a TRUCK, throw aftermarket parts at it if you wish. Just remember it will always be a truck!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I totally agree that the buyer should take a serious road test prior (highway, city, country roads) to purchase. If a buyer hasn't done a serious, (emphasis on serious), road test during the purchase, how can they come back and bitch about how the coach handles after they purchase?
I do believe that an RV should be aligned after its build out either by the manufacturer or the dealer. I make my assessment based on my experience as a Chrysler/Plymouth auto mechanic in the mid 70's. Every new vehicle that left our lot had a dealer prep inspection performed on it including an alignment check.
Yes, I know comparing the auto industry to the RV industry is not apples to apples, but the chassis is still an auto industry product. As Ford (Chevy, Mercedes etc.) sends the chassis to the RV manufacturer with a basic alignment it should be up to the RV manufacturer or their dealer to check the alignment after the chassis is built out, prior to it going up for sale on a lot. (Dreaming here ) After an owner purchases' said chassis AND loads it up if it doesn't perform to their expectations, it would be their responsibility to have their weighted coach's alignment re-checked.
At the very least, IMHO, the buying public deserves an RV truck chassis that goes down the road straight, doesn't prematurely wear out the tires and has a steering wheel that is centered. As far as wandering around in the wind, harsh ride or any other handling complaints, it's a TRUCK, throw aftermarket parts at it if you wish. Just remember it will always be a truck!
All three rigs I purchased in the last 15 or so years has had an alignment performed under warranty. I always request the alignment and tire balancing immediately after the road test and included it as a condition of purchase with the alignment results provided at the PDI. On an E 450 chassis the alignment was good but whelk balancing was required. On the F53 nothing was required for alignment but a tire had to be shaved to properly balance. On the Freightliner the alignment had to be adjusted, steering wheel aligned and 2 tires rebalanced.

After loading, weighting and setting tire pressure to the correct weight based inflation all the rigs handled fine with no mods. I did but a Safe T Plus on the Challenger but believe it was a waste of money with no noticeable difference in handling.

Since my local chassis service center charges 149.00 for a Freightliner alignment that will be checked again during the next chassis service.

People should rent a UHaul truck if a similar size and drive it a few hundred miles before buying an RV so they get their expectations in check and to minimize their disappointment.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:58 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
All three rigs I purchased in the last 15 or so years has had an alignment performed under warranty. I always request the alignment and tire balancing immediately after the road test and included it as a condition of purchase with the alignment results provided at the PDI. On an E 450 chassis the alignment was good but whelk balancing was required. On the F53 nothing was required for alignment but a tire had to be shaved to properly balance. On the Freightliner the alignment had to be adjusted, steering wheel aligned and 2 tires rebalanced.

After loading, weighting and setting tire pressure to the correct weight based inflation all the rigs handled fine with no mods. I did but a Safe T Plus on the Challenger but believe it was a waste of money with no noticeable difference in handling.

Since my local chassis service center charges 149.00 for a Freightliner alignment that will be checked again during the next chassis service.

People should rent a UHaul truck if a similar size and drive it a few hundred miles before buying an RV so they get their expectations in check and to minimize their disappointment.
I'm not sure an unloaded UHaul can be compared to a built-out MH. Plus UHaul advertises their specially engineered Gentle-Ride Suspension, whatever that means. I drove loaded and unloaded UHaul and Ryder trucks many times when I was in the Navy doing PCS moves (many moons ago) and long before I drove a MH, so I can't do a direct comparison. But I don't remember having any issues driving the trucks. I would suspect the truck rental people do suspension add-ons to make the trucks as easy and safe to drive as possible for a rookie truck driver.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:02 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I agree, but Thor and the dealer don't take that responsibility, so the consumer has to deal with it for better or worse.

BUT,

The inexperienced MH buyer can buy a new MH that is perfectly aligned and still be a white knuckle driver swearing there's something wrong with the RV because it doesn't drive like their (fill in the blank) car or pickup and it gets blown all over the road when:

THIS!! ...I guess some folks have unrealistic expectations. Either that or they had a Prevost in a former life.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:42 AM   #29
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I made no complaints when the used, got it from my sister, Itaska Spirit on a F350 chassis wandered everywhere. A car passing would make it wander. A truck or buss wow! I looked at it from the side and it was very low in the back and high in front. I added air bags in the back and leveled it out. Drove nicely afterwards. I replaced the old tires and had the front end alignment checked out. Spot on. The chassis were OEM aligned for no weight in the back as sold. It should be a manufacture's job, when adding weight, to get the front end back into alignment. Fat chance of that. I did not wine, but solve the problem.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:10 AM   #30

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I made no complaints when the used, got it from my sister, Itaska Spirit on a F350 chassis wandered everywhere. A car passing would make it wander. A truck or buss wow! I looked at it from the side and it was very low in the back and high in front. I added air bags in the back and leveled it out. Drove nicely afterwards. I replaced the old tires and had the front end alignment checked out. Spot on. The chassis were OEM aligned for no weight in the back as sold. It should be a manufacture's job, when adding weight, to get the front end back into alignment. Fat chance of that. I did not wine, but solve the problem.
Agree 100%. Ford sells the stripped chassis correctly alignment. To me, the next "food chain participant" - in this case Thor - is solely responsible for correcting that alignment IF they alter it. If Thor's manufacturing altered it... they owe the customer a correctly aligned vehicle... as Ford intended.

As for driving a motorhome, Duck nailed it. I see crappy box trucks nearly everywhere getting around just fine. Heck, at 18 (after driving a Honda Civic) my daughter jumped in a 24' U-Haul and drove it like a pro... even backed it up to a curb to load/unload.

I think fear of driving a large vehicle is a psychological mental block. The best way to get over it is seat time, and accepting you're not driving a high performance vehicle! It's a utility TRUCK.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:37 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Agree 100%. Ford sells the stripped chassis correctly alignment. To me, the next "food chain participant" - in this case Thor - is solely responsible for correcting that alignment IF they alter it. If Thor's manufacturing altered it... they owe the customer a correctly aligned vehicle... as Ford intended.

As for driving a motorhome, Duck nailed it. I see crappy box trucks nearly everywhere getting around just fine. Heck, at 18 (after driving a Honda Civic) my daughter jumped in a 24' U-Haul and drove it like a pro... even backed it up to a curb to load/unload.

I think fear of driving a large vehicle is a psychological mental block. The best way to get over it is seat time, and accepting you're not driving a high performance vehicle! It's a utility TRUCK.
The Detroit Chassis F-53 and E-350 stripped chassis (warranted by Ford) is aligned at the Detroit Chassis factory. The stripped chassis is shipped to MorRyde for chassis modifications as Thor MC is NOT certified to do any chassis modifications on the Ford warranted chassis. MorRyde does align the front and rear axles after welding and bolting accessories to the Detroit Chassis stripped chassis. The drive shaft is removed and re-balanced also.
Ford and Thor MC recommend that the coach be checked for alignment after the suspension has settled which takes about 2,000 miles on the typical road. The better RV dealers have an agreement with a near by truck alignment shop and offer an alignment check as part of the new coach sale.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:48 PM   #32

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
I'm not sure an unloaded UHaul can be compared to a built-out MH. Plus UHaul advertises their specially engineered Gentle-Ride Suspension, whatever that means. I drove loaded and unloaded UHaul and Ryder trucks many times when I was in the Navy doing PCS moves (many moons ago) and long before I drove a MH, so I can't do a direct comparison. But I don't remember having any issues driving the trucks. I would suspect the truck rental people do suspension add-ons to make the trucks as easy and safe to drive as possible for a rookie truck driver.
I do not remember handling issues with any of the U-Haul / Penske / Rider box trucks I have rented either. However, comparing a rental trucks handling to a motorhomes handling is an apples to oranges comparison. First off most of the rental uses are used for local moves with little or no highway driving. Second, a rental truck used for a move will likely be more heavily loaded but not overloaded. Finally, while a test drive might be appropriate it will not give an accurate picture of how a motorhome will handle once all your stuff is loaded or how it will handle with a 3,000# back TOAD hanging off the back. Also, how many of the complaints about motorhome handling are coming from drivers who have overloaded their rigs? Many motorhomes can't handle much more weight than you would put in a Full-sized SUV. Heck, I remember having my first motorhome being affected by my kids moving around in the coach. Yes, they were told to pick a spot and stay put but they still needed to use the Bathroom or get a new book to read etc. Evan a car gets pushed around by the wind and passing trucks. If that happens while it is being towed that will also affect the handling of the motorhome.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:40 PM   #33
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

Oh does that bring back memories. The last U-Haul truck I drove moving my sister I had to turn the steering wheel half a turn back and fourth to keep it in the lane. Worn out junk!
Old 04-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pMHY9J15OO4zDA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...O8g7qt7yQ_zvSG

Change
House to RV
Kids from 1yr old and 3 yr old to 20yr old and 22 year old
Gonna grow up to gonna leave soon.

You now have our typical short test drive, drivel writing, now disgruntled and never will be gruntled, rv owner.

But Suzanne researched this.
(Add Joe Isuzu)

Sold, not purchased.

Sheep are for shearing.
Say 'baaaahhh' in front of the wrong sales guy and whatcha got?

THIS is the START of crap like that op video.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #35

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I don't agree. I don't think the buyer should be responsible for having their new vehicle properly aligned. You can blame Thor or Ford or the RV dealer, but not the buyer.
Ours was aligned fine at delivery. The manufacturer can't provide alignment for all variations of weight. A buyer can always try to negotiate having the dealer cover the cost after delivery and loading up the RV to the normal traveling weight. Added weight will change the geometry.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #36

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:

BUT,

Totally agree with this. One has to have realistic expectations for a fully loaded box truck. That said, there's also a reason I specifically ordered a unit on the Chevy chassis. It just drives better.

I had a front-end alignment done on it just this month. I've never had it done, so thought I probably should just for the heck of it. It cost a little over $100 and made a small but noticeable difference.