Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We owned one motorhome without a genny, a 1989 Coachman. Moving up from a tent the genny was an option we felt we didn't need at the time of purchase. First time we spent more than three days in a National Forest primitive campground the house battery went dead requiring us to run the 351 V8 to recharge the battery. We have never owned another unit since without a generator.

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:28 AM   #42

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Everyone talking about honda generator or any portable generator do not forget all the gas one needs to carry.
That was a pain in the ASX for us!
Scuba wins the cigar!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 01-06-2022, 04:35 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We owned one motorhome without a genny, a 1989 Coachman. Moving up from a tent the genny was an option we felt we didn't need at the time of purchase. First time we spent more than three days in a National Forest primitive campground the house battery went dead requiring us to run the 351 V8 to recharge the battery. We have never owned another unit since without a generator.
We had a portable 3500 Sinemate Generator at our Campsite (kept it about 50 feet from the tent and you did not know it was running)

It was overkill, but it was fun; that genny is 11 years old and still purrs like a kitten, will run one of ACs in my RV, but I would never take it with us in the RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #44

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am gonna take a Chance you don't get mad at me....

Yes, it addresses the question that the OP NEEDS a generator. In fact; I insist that he buys one

Until someone on this forum comes out the closet and confess that they own a RV with no generator and have no need for one. (a all electric RV or power Lithium battery user notwithstanding.)

.....cut.....

I prefer not repeating same information, but yes, we met that criteria for many years.

Our first motorhome had a generator and we used it very little. As is case with many owners the hour meter proved it didn’t operate very often other than to exercise it. Occasionally we would start it for 5 minutes to power microwave, but that doesn’t require a generator with today’s equipment technology.

Back then we did not boondock at all and only stayed in campgrounds with full hookups. The only time we needed a generator, other than to power microwave a few minutes at a time, was to power air conditioner for our dogs for an hour or two while shopping or eating out; and that rarely happened.

Based on our previous experience with generator, when we downsized to a van we did not get a generator. THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE NEVER HAD A USE FOR ONE, JUST NOT ENOUGH OF A NEED.

Having an occasional need for something and actually needing it enough to buy and or own it are two very different things to me. My mind set is not about being cheap or frugal, it is more about enjoying a simpler life.

About 10 years later circumstances changed and we started overnighting in hot weather where there was no electrical power, so the need for a generator changed. I got a portable mostly for the air conditioner overnight, but as soon as weather cools off in fall, I leave it at home.

So, for 10 years I didn’t “need” one, and now need one only 3~4 nights a year when it’s hot at night.

Long-term my preferred solution is not needing one at all, but that’s a different discussion we have covered in other threads numerous times.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:39 AM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I prefer not repeating same information, but yes, we met that criteria for many years.

Our first motorhome had a generator and we used it very little. As is case with many owners the hour meter proved it didn’t operate very often other than to exercise it. Occasionally we would start it for 5 minutes to power microwave, but that doesn’t require a generator with today’s equipment technology.

Back then we did not boondock at all and only stayed in campgrounds with full hookups. The only time we needed a generator, other than to power microwave a few minutes at a time, was to power air conditioner for our dogs for an hour or two while shopping or eating out; and that rarely happened.

Based on our previous experience with generator, when we downsized to a van we did not get a generator. THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE NEVER HAD A USE FOR ONE, JUST NOT ENOUGH OF A NEED.

Having an occasional need for something and actually needing it enough to buy and or own it are two very different things to me. My mind set is not about being cheap or frugal, it is more about enjoying a simpler life.

About 10 years later circumstances changed and we started overnighting in hot weather where there was no electrical power, so the need for a generator changed. I got a portable mostly for the air conditioner overnight, but as soon as weather cools off in fall, I leave it at home.

So, for 10 years I didn’t “need” one, and now need one only 3~4 nights a year when it’s hot at night.

Long-term my preferred solution is not needing one at all, but that’s a different discussion we have covered in other threads numerous times.
Fair enough for me...

So does mean you conclude for OP that you don't think a generator is necessary?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-07-2022, 01:55 AM   #46

Model: WindSport 36Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #25506
Quote:
Fair enough for me...

So does mean you conclude for OP that you don't think a generator is necessary?
I never said I didn't need one. I was getting a consensus of seasoned owners as to whether it was necessary. Obviously, that consensus is affirmative.
Underway. Shift colors!
Fweezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 AM   #47

Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Washington
THOR #25353
Quote:
OP said short and simple, are you saying don't buy a gen?
Yes, I'm saying you don't need one. At least, not to get out on the road RV'ing. Go out RV'ing and see what you might be lacking -- probably not much. But, if you are lacking something, then and only then, go out and buy it. I tell you this from years of personal experience and wasted money. I can't possibly tell you how many forums I read over the years where someone would tell me I needed such-and-such, so I'd go out and buy it. Then, a year later, after not using or needed the item, I would either throw it away or give it to Goodwill.

If you are out on the road somewhere and you determine you need a generator, then go and buy one. You'll be better prepared at that time to get the right size and right type when your real needs force the purchase. I sure wish I'd had someone tell me this when I started out. I would have saved a bundle of money. If I gave it some thought, I could make a pretty long list of junk you don't need.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:02 AM   #48

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
Yes, I'm saying you don't need one. At least, not to get out on the road RV'ing. Go out RV'ing and see what you might be lacking -- probably not much. But, if you are lacking something, then and only then, go out and buy it. I tell you this from years of personal experience and wasted money. I can't possibly tell you how many forums I read over the years where someone would tell me I needed such-and-such, so I'd go out and buy it. Then, a year later, after not using or needed the item, I would either throw it away or give it to Goodwill.

If you are out on the road somewhere and you determine you need a generator, then go and buy one. You'll be better prepared at that time to get the right size and right type when your real needs force the purchase. I sure wish I'd had someone tell me this when I started out. I would have saved a bundle of money. If I gave it some thought, I could make a pretty long list of junk you don't need.
First this cannot be for me, because I have never seen an RV without a generator? If you say it is an option to buy one without, I believe you because a few have said they own RVs without, but I have never seen that. So I could assume that you mean you order a RV and not get the genset and then added it later? If true, #1 I doubt if I ever order a RV because you will always pay premium, and if I could afford to order, I certainly would add the genset if for no other reason to have the RV Mfg install even if I knew 100% I would never need it. But truth is in two plus years, I doubt if I have ever made a trip without using it and I might add that we use it alot when it is home and or when we go parks or sporting events to see kids play sports.

Before I abandoned this topic, I will leave one analogy. I may know I do not need a radio, but if I am buying a new RV, I am not going to buy one with no radio with the mindset if I need I can add one later They use to make cars like that because in theory for people that needed radios they could buy what they one, but that was a disaster because all cars come with radios despite whether it is needed or not.

It was good discussion, but OP says he has what he was seeking so I am out
Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 AM   #49

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Definitely used a college football games !
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #50

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
First this cannot be for me, because I have never seen an RV without a generator? If you say it is an option to buy one without, I believe you because a few have said they own RVs without, but I have never seen that. So I could assume that you mean you order a RV and not get the genset and then added it later? If true, #1 I doubt if I ever order a RV because you will always pay premium, and if I could afford to order, I certainly would add the genset if for no other reason to have the RV Mfg install even if I knew 100% I would never need it. But truth is in two plus years, I doubt if I have ever made a trip without using it and I might add that we use it alot when it is home and or when we go parks or sporting events to see kids play sports.

Before I abandoned this topic, I will leave one analogy. I may know I do not need a radio, but if I am buying a new RV, I am not going to buy one with no radio with the mindset if I need I can add one later They use to make cars like that because in theory for people that needed radios they could buy what they one, but that was a disaster because all cars come with radios despite whether it is needed or not.

It was good discussion, but OP says he has what he was seeking so I am out
1962 Chevy Bel Air , 3 on the tree, with a transistor radio dangling from the rear view mirror. Yep, can always be added.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #51

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
If you had the unfortunate bad luck, or planning, to be on I-95 in VA recently in your RV of any flavor or, you might think a generator was sort of important. If you know you will never be stranded someplace and never be in a location without shore hookups, don't get a generator.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #52
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
If you had the unfortunate bad luck, or planning, to be on I-95 in VA recently in your RV of any flavor or, you might think a generator was sort of important. If you know you will never be stranded someplace and never be in a location without shore hookups, don't get a generator.
What would a generator have done for you? You didn't need A/C. You had propane for heat and cooking, the alternator to recharge batteries for the furnace if needed. Maybe for the TV if you didn't have an inverter?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #53

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What would a generator have done for you? You didn't need A/C. You had propane for heat and cooking, the alternator to recharge batteries for the furnace if needed. Maybe for the TV if you didn't have an inverter?
Maybe all of the above. Run the space heater, fireplace, heat strips if installed. Watch TV so you can see if you made the evening news and updates to the situation. Cook supper in the microwave. Some RVs today have no propane. Me I wouldn't have one but they exist.

Course a bunch of those people probably left grandmas in Florida still wearing their shorts and flip-flops.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #54

THOR #14698
Quote:
I thought the same thing watching that shite show. Shut off your engine to save the gas, fire up the genny, make a pizza and watch the proceedings on the TV. Though being retired why would I have gone North in winter?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 01-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #55
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I thought the same thing watching that shite show. Shut off your engine to save the gas, fire up the genny, make a pizza and watch the proceedings on the TV. Though being retired why would I have gone North in winter?
Ummmm, what do you think the generator runs off? And now that you have that noise maker running it's like calling the walking dead from the cars of those stranded around you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #56

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ummmm, what do you think the generator runs off? And now that you have that noise maker running it's like calling the walking dead from the cars of those stranded around you.
Clarification: Genny uses much less gas than the V10 Yep and I better have a boat load of pizza for all the other zombies
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 01-07-2022, 04:43 PM   #57

THOR #22586
Quote:
Clarification: Genny uses much less gas than the V10 Yep and I better have a boat load of pizza for all the other zombies
And along this line is the advice to always operate off the top half off a fuel tank. Like in aviation, you can never have too much altitude below you or runway in front of you.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-07-2022, 05:11 PM   #58

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We always stayed @ parks that had full hookups, so we really only rarely used the generator in any of the rigs we had. Having said that, there were times the power failed in the park, and we relied on the generator, and times we were stopped for extended periods of time, and that generator sure was useful. Yes you could probably get by without, but I would not buy a rig that didn't have it, just for those times when it is useful.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #59

THOR #20220
Quote:
Agree north is insane in winter 😳
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #60

THOR #20220
Quote:
That alone says generator a must!