Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
It is an interesting question...from my experience weigh stations seem to be for commercial vehicles only. I have driven my RV through 29 states on my little adventure and have been lit up by some weigh station scales saying I must pull in. I don’t. I have never gotten a ticket in the mail or been chased down by a trooper. And they will chase you down, I know by experience.

I used to drive 18 wheelers for a living before I retired and mostly through New York, New Jersey, Pa, and Maryland. Got pulled into many weigh stations to get weighed and sometimes various stages of inspections (there are 3 levels). One time while getting inspected I asked the DOT trooper if Motorhomes were required to pull into the scales when they are open. I said the sign says All Vehicles over 10,000 lbs must enter. He said NO only commercial vehicles, I said but the sign says...he looked at me quite annoyed and before I could finish said “COMMERCIAL ONLY”.

So I don’t worry about scale houses while driving my MH. But everyone has their own comfort level with these things so do what makes you comfortable.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow, according this article, I may be fugitive in two states?

It says...
Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey and Wisconsin require single or in combination (towing a trailer or car) vehicles to stop at weigh stations if the GCWR is 10,000 lbs. or more.

So that basically means that every RV driving through Arkansas must weigh in? I have never seen 1 RV at a weigh station in Arkansas. Arkansas saw is tourist state hard to believe they would want let alone make every RV check in at their borders.

For Oklahoma...
An officer may require you to pull over at a weigh station or you may be directed by signage in Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. These states do not have a specific stated weight limit for RVs and vehicles. They simply have random checks at their discretion.

I guess I will find out if I get a ticket in the mail? If so; I will stay out of Oklahoma in my RV. I could have gone through Texarkana (TX/AR), but was just trying some place new with the RV.

This kinds of spoils the fun of RV vacation if you got to know the laws of 50 states or stop at all of these weigh stations.
I've driven through Georgia in a Class C and A, never stopped for a weigh station and never had an issue. In the past three months I have been through West Virginia (twice) and North Carolina (29K GVWR Supper C) and have never been requested to stop.

I wouldn't worry about it but if they do find you please let us know what happens.

One point I will make is that prior to, or at the beginning of every trip or at least every other trip I will run across the Cat Scale so I know my weight.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #23
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
It is an interesting question...from my experience weigh stations seem to be for commercial vehicles only. I have driven my RV through 29 states on my little adventure and have been lit up by some weigh station scales saying I must pull in. I don’t. I have never gotten a ticket in the mail or been chased down by a trooper. And they will chase you down, I know by experience.

I used to drive 18 wheelers for a living before I retired and mostly through New York, New Jersey, Pa, and Maryland. Got pulled into many weigh stations to get weighed and sometimes various stages of inspections (there are 3 levels). One time while getting inspected I asked the DOT trooper if Motorhomes were required to pull into the scales when they are open. I said the sign says All Vehicles over 10,000 lbs must enter. He said NO only commercial vehicles, I said but the sign says...he looked at me quite annoyed and before I could finish said “COMMERCIAL ONLY”.

So I don’t worry about scale houses while driving my MH. But everyone has their own comfort level with these things so do what makes you comfortable.
In the case of "All Vehicles..." if you pull in and they don't want you they just green light you across the scale. However, if you don't pull in some rookie trooper can run you down and issue a ticket because the law says "All Vehicles..." it doesn't say "All Commercial Vehicles..."

IMHO, the majority of states that require RVs to weight are ones I don't have a desire to visit anyway. I can by pass those states and spend my money elsewhere.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Thanks for the info.

I full-time and just covered 20k+ miles. I never stop but, never been lit up either. I think RVs and RVers are small fish in a very large ocean. If that trooper breaks loose to chase you down, the station may miss out on a big juicy truck in violation that they can write a HUGE ticket to because those are usually paid by the trucking company, unless you are an independent O/O. I just don't think we're worth their time and effort.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I've driven through Georgia in a Class C and A, never stopped for a weigh station and never had an issue. In the past three months I have been through West Virginia (twice) and North Carolina (29K GVWR Supper C) and have never been requested to stop.

I wouldn't worry about it but if they do find you please let us know what happens.

One point I will make is that prior to, or at the beginning of every trip or at least every other trip I will run across the Cat Scale so I know my weight.
I have a whopping 8,000 miles on my 2019 Sunstar 29VE. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, West Texas , & Oklahoma

If I get extradited to jail, and if Bob bails me out, I will let all know if I become a felon. Since it is no Oklahoma State Police involved with that facility weighing, I doubt I go to jail because it sounds like it is managed by 3rd party?

But I have question?

Why do you regularly get Cat Scale weights? I know my GCVR max is 23,000 pounds and 18,000 pounds is about where I will always be with a full load. I don't ever tow anything; so I figure I am +/- 500 pounds of some average number? I could see maybe weighing once to confirm that number but why bother in the future?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If I'm going to be able to bail you out: I hope that they can cash my Welfare checks...
Old 10-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have a whopping 8,000 miles on my 2019 Sunstar 29VE. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, West Texas , & Oklahoma

If I get extradited to jail, and if Bob bails me out, I will let all know if I become a felon. Since it is no Oklahoma State Police involved with that facility weighing, I doubt I go to jail because it sounds like it is managed by 3rd party?

But I have question?

Why do you regularly get Cat Scale weights? I know my GCVR max is 23,000 pounds and 18,000 pounds is about where I will always be with a full load. I don't ever tow anything; so I figure I am +/- 500 pounds of some average number? I could see maybe weighing once to confirm that number but why bother in the future?
GCVR? Maybe meant GCWR but if you don't tow anything why is that a concern?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

But I have question?

Because what we take with us changes from trip to trip and season to season. 2 weeks of food and beverage weighs more than one week and winter clothes are heavier than summer clothes. Also, 11 dollars, 12 if towing, is a low cost for piece of mind.

18000 with a full load what is your GVWR?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 AM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
GCVR? Maybe meant GCWR but if you don't tow anything why is that a concern?

Yes I was referring to GCWR. I peck on the keyboard, and the V key is closer than the W key

I was asking EA37TS why he weighed? I have never weighed my RV. I never tow and have not intent upon towing in the future. We pulled up in a McDonalds this past weekend. I drive it like an oversized SUV. At campsites all I ever do disconnect and put shore cord back in electrical bay, bring in slide, raise levelers and we off to wherever.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Because what we take with us changes from trip to trip and season to season. 2 weeks of food and beverage weighs more than one week and winter clothes are heavier than summer clothes. Also, 11 dollars, 12 if towing, is a low cost for piece of mind.

18000 with a full load what is your GVWR?
My GVWR = 18,000
GAWR - Front 7,000
GAWR - Rear 12,000
GCWR = 23,000

Since hitch is rated for 5,000#s, I assume the 18,000 is with a normal full load? i.e. tanks full, luggage, people etc. My point earlier was no matter how much I wish to load (short pure gold) I will never get close to the GCWR of 23,000. So that is why I question why weigh before each trip? I am not towing anything.

My RV is 30' 3" long, 12' 2" tall & 8' 5.5" wide. Wheelbase 190"
But here is my favorite measurement. I have 145 cu ft of storage. We never come close to using it all
Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If I'm going to be able to bail you out: I hope that they can cash my Welfare checks...
If not, in Oklahoma they prolly have slot machines in the jail cells, they take any kind of currency, with some lady luck I can play the slots to earn my way out of jail.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 AM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you "break the Bank": do you get to be the new Sheriff?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 AM   #33
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
My GVWR = 18,000
GAWR - Front 7,000
GAWR - Rear 12,000
GCWR = 23,000

Since hitch is rated for 5,000#s, I assume the 18,000 is with a normal full load? i.e. tanks full, luggage, people etc. My point earlier was no matter how much I wish to load (short pure gold) I will never get close to the GCWR of 23,000. So that is why I question why weigh before each trip? I am not towing anything.

My RV is 30' 3" long, 12' 2" tall & 8' 5.5" wide. Wheelbase 190"
But here is my favorite measurement. I have 145 cu ft of storage. We never come close to using it all
Your RV fully loaded cannot exceed the 18000 GVWR. You can then tow 5000 lbs. Most gas coaches have a low OCCC and overweight is quite possible. I learned that lesson with the Challenger. With that coach we couldn’t load up for more than a week or 10 days.

Run across a scale and you might be surprised at what you actually weight.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #34

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Your RV fully loaded cannot exceed the 18000 GVWR. You can then tow 5000 lbs. Most gas coaches have a low OCCC and overweight is quite possible. I learned that lesson with the Challenger. With that coach we couldn’t load up for more than a week or 10 days.

I disagree with the statement that “most gas coaches have a low OCCC”. Certainly some do but if you look into it when you are shopping you have some good options. My 30 ft class A has a 3700lb OCCC which I deemed adequate inasmuch as I seem to carry about 2500lbs of stuff.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:

Man, where is the endpoint of things to learn when it comes to an RV You just stole my 5,000# cushion!!!, maybe it is a good thing I am fugitive in the State of Oklahoma after all

Okay so back to square 1 I have the below new info.

The Winnebago 2019 29VE’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 18,000 pounds; the occupant and cargo carrying capacity (OCCC) on yellow tag in my motorhome state at 2,005 pounds on its information placard.

Online I saw where Loaded with full fuel, water, propane, and the driver, it crossed the scales at 16,560 pounds. This still leaves a respectable cargo carrying capacity.

The 7,000-pound-rated front axle and a 12,000-pound-rated rear axle had actual weights of 5,620 pounds and 10,940 pounds, respectively.

So is 2,005 pounds considered low?

My best guess on last trip

500lbs People
150lbs Groceries / Fridge / Can goods
500lbs All lower bay compartments (ladder, grill, tools, 4 chairs etc)
100lbs Clothes
100lbs Computers / Laptops / backpacks / DVD / Extenders etc.
100lbs Misc stuff in drawers, screwdrivers, flashlights, cables, Cleaners

So I have about 550 to spare. We were gone 5 days and did not use 3/4 of the stuff. Don't think we would pack more to stay longer.

When I am in a weigh friendly state, I may go test next time I am fully loaded, but I have to assume I weight about 16,000lbs as tare with all tanks being full. I could drain fresh water and gain about 600lbs
Old 10-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #36

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I disagree with the statement that “most gas coaches have a low OCCC”. Certainly some do but if you look into it when you are shopping you have some good options. My 30 ft class A has a 3700lb OCCC which I deemed adequate inasmuch as I seem to carry about 2500lbs of stuff.
Do you have the F53 in your Bay Star?

What could account for you have 1,700 more OCCC than me? Or maybe I am confused at how you have 3700 OCCC but be able to carry 2500lbs?

My OCCC is 2005lbs based on yellow placard. I could see the 500lbs being my outdoor kitchen, fridge, and outside TV?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

What could account for you have 1,700 more OCCC than me? Or maybe I am confused at how you have 3700 OCCC but be able to carry 2500lbs?

My OCCC is 2005lbs based on yellow placard. I could see the 500lbs being my outdoor kitchen, fridge, and outside TV?

Newmar is a bit more considerate in their chassis selection. They use a 20,500 lb GVWR chassis for coaches over 28 ft. My last coach had a 2400 lb OCCC and I used every single pound of it.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

There are multiple F-53 chassis with multiple GVWRs and many multiple different floorplans and equipment. You can't compare your SOB F-53 model MH to anything other than the same model built by the same manufacturer with the same equipment.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:38 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Tiffin offers an upgraded HD chassis as an option in their Oen Road Allegro model.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
There are multiple F-53 chassis with multiple GVWRs and many multiple different floorplans and equipment. You can't compare your SOB F-53 model MH to anything other than the same model built by the same manufacturer with the same equipment.
Scheeeezce!!!

I guess yall don't just make this stuff up My tent life really was simpler

Since I am now a Highway Weigh Fugitive (Per the State of Oklahoma) I guess how much I really weigh doesn't matter until I get caught

So is the 2000lbs OCCC considered very low for my 30' Gas Coach?

As we speak, I am in the process of removing everything from the coach. I don't see any way possible I come close to loading 2,000lbs with cargo or people.