Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
2015 Four Winds 31W Slide problem

Hello all,

I've got a four winds 31W with the big slide. It works fine in normal circumstances, for example when the campsite is relatively level to start with. But when there's enough of a grade to cause front or rear wheels to lift off the ground when leveling (not a lot but some), the jacks will extend until it's nearly level, and then make noise for a bit without the jacks moving, then a beep will sound, and the message "low voltage error" will come on the controller.

After turning off the leveler, I can reset the breaker under the rig near the house batteries, and it will work again.

Seems like the problem happens at the upper end of the jack's travel. I took it to local dealer and they were "unable to replicate" the problem. I think they didn't put it on enough of an angle. Hydraulic fluid is full.

Any suggestions or ideas?

thanks!

Dave

Old 05-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
Hello all,

I've got a four winds 31W with the big slide. It works fine in normal circumstances, for example when the campsite is relatively level to start with. But when there's enough of a grade to cause front or rear wheels to lift off the ground when leveling (not a lot but some), the jacks will extend until it's nearly level, and then make noise for a bit without the jacks moving, then a beep will sound, and the message "low voltage error" will come on the controller.

After turning off the leveler, I can reset the breaker under the rig near the house batteries, and it will work again.

Seems like the problem happens at the upper end of the jack's travel. I took it to local dealer and they were "unable to replicate" the problem. I think they didn't put it on enough of an angle. Hydraulic fluid is full.

Any suggestions or ideas?

thanks!

Dave
Dave,

When you reset the breaker is it because the breaker had tripped or are you simply interrupting the power to the jacks and then resetting?

On my Challenger, sometimes when I am retracting the jacks at a campground or operating the jacks at home when I first hit the power button for the jacks I receive the low voltage error. Normally turning jack power off waiting about 30 seconds and then turning jack power on the problem disappears. To me it almost seems as though the starting of the rig has drained the battery power below the level required for the jacks. My solution has been to start the vehicle and let it run for a minute or two before turning on the jack power. I have received the error once when arriving at a campground but turning jack power off and then back on caused the error to go away.

Also, I carry leveling blocks for those situations that you describe where one side will almost raise the wheels off the ground. The leveling blocks reduce the travel required of the jack arms especially if you use blocks under the wheels and jack pads.

An additional note, I always level before extending the slide and retract the slide before raising the jacks. This way the coach is always level during slide operation.

Not sure this helps you however, it is what I have experienced.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

THOR #1414
dstankov,

When resetting the breaker, it's because the breaker tripped, and that caused the low voltage error message.

I hadn't thought to put leveling blocks under the wheel too- that may solve my problem. I brought some, and put them under the jacks so they didn't have to travel so far, but not under the wheels, so they end up in the air.

My thinking has been that if the leveler controller doesn't say "it's too much of an angle to level the coach" (I've seen that message once), that it should be able to do it. Perhaps I'm overestimating the levelers' ability?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

THOR #1414
What type of leveling blocks work the best? I've seen the yellow or orange plastic ones at camping world. I tried a couple of 2 x 10s screwed together, but the weight of the RV on the jacks split them in half. I want to make sure I get something that will work over time....
Old 05-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
What type of leveling blocks work the best? I've seen the yellow or orange plastic ones at camping world. I tried a couple of 2 x 10s screwed together, but the weight of the RV on the jacks split them in half. I want to make sure I get something that will work over time....
I have seen folks use the 2 x 10s 2 x 8s and 2 x 6s screwed together without problems. The key to that is screwing them together so the wood grain runs perpendicular to each other. I would think the 2 x 8 or 2 x 6 would hold better than the 2 x 10.

I use the orange Lynx leveling blocks. I carry 2 bags of 10 and haven't had any issues. The blocks carry a 3 year warranty for just about anything except the bag.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
what brand of levelers is this?
I'm considering/hoping to add levelers to mine some day so I'm curious....

Have you contacted the level manufacturer's tech support (not Thor) to see what they have to say about it?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #7

THOR #1414
They are Lippert Level Up levelers. Good idea! I hadn't thought about contacting them.... I may do that. thanks...