Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvegas View Post
It is a NEW ATS if that helps, but I can check if I still get the drop when all breakers off. Thank you.
I have bought new stuff that does not work...but when I test the ATS with a hard line...it works fine.
Then back to the thought that the generator isn't putting out amps, just voltage

Tie the generator into a real load and see what you get

Do that after checking voltage with generator on, all breakers off

Then start flipping breakers on one at a time observing voltage at the panel

Old 03-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgvegas View Post
It is a NEW ATS if that helps, but I can check if I still get the drop when all breakers off. Thank you.
I have bought new stuff that does not work...but when I test the ATS with a hard line...it works fine.
Why would that make a difference if everything works normally on SP?

Maybe you can post a photo of what you are measuring when you say you "have full 120 volts at transfer box from generator" and what you are measuring when you say you "drop to 70 volts".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:23 PM   #23

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #9897
ATS us good. I unhooked the lead to the Breaker Panel and just tied to ATS no other draw and it immediately drips to 70. So it is not producing any amp.

The whole thing happened when i went to test generator and i forgot to disconnect shore power. Blew fuses for Shore power and must have did something to generator.
Shore powers works through ATS perfectly just no generator.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:36 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Make model of genny?
Sometime they have more than 1 breaker…..must hunt you shall
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:42 PM   #25

THOR #9897
Onan 4000 i think QG KY (P)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:04 AM   #26

THOR #24260
This is the reset for main circuit
RESETTING CIRCUIT BREAKERS
If a circuit breaker in the main power distribution panel of the vehicle or on the genset (Figure 4) trips, either a circuit shorted or too many appliances were running. Note that the genset will continue to run af- ter a circuit breaker trips.
If a circuit breaker trips, disconnect or turn off as many loads as possible and reset the circuit break- er. (Push the circuit breaker to OFF to reset it and then to ON to reconnect the circuit.) If the circuit breaker trips right away, either the electrical dis- tribution system has a short or the circuit breaker is faulty. Call a qualified electrician.
If the circuit breaker does not trip, reconnect the ap- pliances, one by one, up to a total load that does not overload the genset or cause the circuit breaker to trip. If a circuit breaker trips right away when an ap- pliance is connected, the appliance probably has a short.
Electrical appliances and tools must be used and maintained properly and be properly grounded to cause the line circuit breakers to trip when short cir- cuits occur
Semper Fi
Old 03-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #27

THOR #24260
Also, check your a/c line out of the genny. Bad connection inside the genny, short by the pass through. If your getting voltage, you either have a bad, loose connection or bad genny.
OR you missed a wire or wrong spot on the ats for the genny side.
Best I can do.
Let us know.
Terry
Semper Fi
Old 03-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #28

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg727 View Post
ATS us good. I unhooked the lead to the Breaker Panel and just tied to ATS no other draw and it immediately drips to 70. So it is not producing any amp.

The whole thing happened when i went to test generator and i forgot to disconnect shore power. Blew fuses for Shore power and must have did something to generator.
'''''''''''
Your ATS is not working--- It should not have allowed the generator to connect without the ATS disconnecting the Shore power. May have damaged the generator.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #29

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
X2 on hooligan.
I run my monthly test on the generator and never bother to disconnect shore power.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
X2 on hooligan.
I run my monthly test on the generator and never bother to disconnect shore power.
X2 times X2 for Trkyte & Hooligan

Not only do I keep shore power connected when running the genny, but if I lose shore power. my genny will autostart and supply power to the coach and vice versa when power is restored.

Quote:

Can I ask where you have fuses inline with shore power and what was the amperage ratings for the fuss that blew?

I am not sure how you drew conclusion that the ATS works? You really may consider going step by step, maybe a few pictures and others may help better.

If it were me, I would prove my genny can supply power to run say a vaccum cleaner, 1500 watt heater or compressor in front of the ATS. Temporarily run a cord on the Generator's input to the ATS and verify that it can run one of the above. If it does, you have proof genny is good. Then with Shorepower disconnected do the same thing with output leads from the ATS. If that works, you can try the same with shorepower connected to verify the ATS is properly switching between Shore / Genny. If both are on, the Genny should provide the power unless you have custom setup which I do.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:

You have something wired wrong, you should be able to start the generator and the timer in the ATS should drop out the shore power prior to connecting the generator.

Sounds as if they both connected and that certainly should have tripped breakers, although you mention fuses?
Old 03-06-2022, 10:14 PM   #32

THOR #9897
Nope ATS is good. The old one and the new one i bought. Lol. Found junction box and the hot wire was fried. It was a plastic box under the chassis. Plus i tighted all connections.

Thank everyone fir your input. It kept me loooking!����
Old 03-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Nope ATS is good. The old one and the new one i bought. Lol. Found junction box and the hot wire was fried. It was a plastic box under the chassis. Plus i tighted all connections.

That is great discovery, but isn't your journey still going on? That find may be a symptom, where is the breaker upstream that should have tripped? You may need to replace that breaker.

We had a 12 year old Kenmore Elite dryer that the electronics would work randomly but we could get by. We finally bought a new Washer / Dryer combo to connect to our Smart Things. I hook up brand new Dryer and it would NOT power. Zero Zilch Nada. I was thinking we had a bad dryer, pull out the voltmeter and discovered that one leg was providing 70 vdc while the other was 120vac. I checked the power cord which was fine but bought a new one anyway. I verified the Receptacle was working because the 70vac leg was on the input to it So I go to my Electrical panel a see the output on same leg was 70vac. So I go to Home Depot and get a new 30amp double pole breaker and problem solved Who would have thought? Now I have a dryer that I thought was on the blink that actually is not as bad as I thought. I would surmise running on 190 vac is not the best thing for it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:05 AM   #34

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #20468
Quote:

I had this same problem on my Thor ACE 29.3. I recommend everyone check your connections in that junction box. Thor used check plastic wire nuts that melt and come loose. I used dielectric grease and good quality wire nuts.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:35 AM   #35

THOR #9897
I agree on wire nuts. Cheap. But at least wrapped with electrical tape. Traced wire solid all the way back to junction box then to generator. It is hooked up and running. Watched ATS switch over��for the small victories.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:15 AM   #36
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

1 week and 20 posts later you persevered and found the problem. Good job and thanks for updating the thread.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, transfer switch, voltage