Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Oh Sh**

Last thing before our 1st trip next month after the Norcold service was to check the gray and blacks. I drained the gray tank of maybe 2 gals and went inside to check the level monitor. Mine is labeled Tank 1 and Tank 2. When I bought the rig both levels showed empty. Tank 1 went from empty to full sometime over the summer and we've never the toilet other than to put in a few gals of water and some Dawn. Today the Tank 1 level show full. Out of pure curiosity I open the black tank valve a skoosh and nothing. I opened it a little further and nothing. Hence the Oh Sh**! I put a hose in the toilet and added 3 gals and now I can see suds when the toilet valve is open.

My thinking is that (1) the level sensor was not accurate or failed to operate all summer and started working and (2) the tank is full and blocked probably at the tank outlet fitting. Whatever is in there came with the rig and now I'm trying to decide the best way forward. The one thing I didn't check now is a problem.

Suggestions? Fixes?

Also would we not label the black water tank #2 but nope. It appears Tank 1 for for #2.

Old 10-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #2

THOR #25443
Update. Now I feel a little foolish I crawled under my rig to see the layout and WTF? A second valve just after the outlet on the opposite side of the rig. Here I thought the manual would mention dual valve setup but nope. So now my question is anyone else have this kinda setup and do you normally leave both closed? Seems like a PIA to have to crawl under the rig every dump?
Old 10-14-2022, 09:05 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
It is a common thing to have a second black tank valve on the passenger side especially if the toilet is on the passenger side. That black tank valve is a safety valve to prevent any spillage on the open highway in the event you drive over an object and hit the black tank crossover line before the wet bay black tank valve on the driver side. On my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS, I found that when I dumped the black tank, I would open that passenger valve first and then walk over to the driver side and open that black tank valve to dump the black tank. I now have a class A and have two black and two grey tanks both situated on the driver side with no crossover line to deal with when I dump the tanks.

Paul

Paul
Old 10-14-2022, 10:29 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Update. Now I feel a little foolish I crawled under my rig to see the layout and WTF? A second valve just after the outlet on the opposite side of the rig. Here I thought the manual would mention dual valve setup but nope. So now my question is anyone else have this kinda setup and do you normally leave both closed? Seems like a PIA to have to crawl under the rig every dump?
The sensors are normally one step above totally worthless, as they do have pretty red lights signifying nothing.
Don't count on any of the sensors regardless of magic potions or elixirs, repeated flushing & rinsing to do more than light those red lights.
I've had rvs for 45+ years & have yet to have one that the sensors worked past about the 2nd tank full.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:03 AM   #5

THOR #25443
Thanks Danny. Still a old newbie at this. Last rig I had was 1987 and a little has changed since then.
What puzzled me was the thing showed empty all summer and yesterday it was full. Talk about worthless? I think I'll make a dipstick and have more accurate results.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:32 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
No guesswork with these...
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SAAEgIc5vD_BwE
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:05 AM   #7

THOR #25443
Thanks for the info. Since the monitor i have now is almost two decades old I may think about a better solution than a dipstick. It seems to be working at the moment so I''ll keep a close watch. So glad I found this before our first trip.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Use the forum search to educate yourself from the collective wisdom about that crossover (passenger side toilet) setup. But your on the right track.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:21 AM   #9

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Yes! We have an 2018 Freedom Elite that has two valves on the black water tank! And then one on the gray water!

One valve is behind the right rear tire and the second is at the outlet along with the gray water valve!
Old 10-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane
THOR #27574
Same thing happened to me in my 2018 Chateau - I couldn't believe that the dealership didn't mention this and no where on line did I find any information on a second valve. After 2 days of trying thing and researching I finally traced the black tank tube and found the second valve. Unbelievable that this was not in the manual!!
Old 10-26-2022, 03:32 AM   #11

THOR #26716
Haaaaa!!!! I suffered the same thing. I thought my black water tank was full since I could see it coming up the pipe beneath the toilet. Tried to empty it 2 times and nothing came out. Thought it was a blockage. I mentioned it on this site and the last of 38 responses mentioned looking for a second valve. Found it on the passenger side, opened it, and no problems since!
Old 10-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I would open that passenger valve first and then walk over to the driver side and open that black tank valve to dump the black tank.

Paul

Paul
Our 2016 Outlaw has the black tank on the passenger side (left), with the two valve set up. So, I oppose with the order you state to open them.

In my opinion: I open the driver's side first after hose hook up, this way nothing settles in the long, almost level, cross-over pipe. Then open the passenger side valve for the contents exit in a single rush.

This may not really matter much as the contents are ready for its trip.

However, if the passenger side was left open, say for convenience of not climbing under to open (I know, I do it every time, once to open & once to close it), I believe the contents, rather the more solid parts, could come to rest in there and pack, giving you a "real blockage problem" you were thinking you had.

I could be wrong. You could experiment to see.
Have a good one.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:34 AM   #13

THOR #25443
Good to know I'm not alone with thinking the manual might mention the crossover setup. Had I bought this rig while still in my younger years I probably would have crawled under it and noticed the two valves. Now in my 70s with a brand new knee recently installed I have to rely on manuals and specs. Hopefully I've mastered the ins and outs of our rig so no surprises should crop up on the road. Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:19 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have the half bath on the passenger side with full bath in rear. I've always just dumped the front black tank as usual. I've never looked to see if there is another valve on the passenger side. If there is, it must have been already opened when we bought the rig.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Our 2016 Outlaw has the black tank on the passenger side (left), with the two valve set up. So, I oppose with the order you state to open them.

In my opinion: I open the driver's side first after hose hook up, this way nothing settles in the long, almost level, cross-over pipe. Then open the passenger side valve for the contents exit in a single rush.

This may not really matter much as the contents are ready for its trip.

However, if the passenger side was left open, say for convenience of not climbing under to open (I know, I do it every time, once to open & once to close it), I believe the contents, rather the more solid parts, could come to rest in there and pack, giving you a "real blockage problem" you were thinking you had.

I could be wrong. You could experiment to see.
Have a good one.
Except that if you open the passenger side second and there's a leak or hose blow-off on the driver side, you are not there to see it and close the outlet valve right there.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:12 AM   #16

THOR #25443

Tags
black tank issues