Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2022, 06:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #25912
Extended Warranty

I’m purchasing a 2022 Chateau 28z and the Dealer was offering an extended warranty for 5 years for $8700. Is this a good deal and needed for this vehicle? What is your opinion or experience with Dealer extended warranties.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Same as the last thread on this topic:

$8700 is NOT a good deal!

Just say NO to ESPs (Extended Service Plans AKA Extended Warranty Plans).

Take any money you would have used to buy that ESP and put it in an investment account. Pull from it when you think you have a covered repair. At the end of the covered term you will be way ahead.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Welcome to the forum.

If you feel you need an ESP buy it from a service after you buy the RV. The dealers ESP cost is loaded with commissions.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Take any money you would have used to buy that ESP and put it in an investment account. Pull from it when you think you have a covered repair. At the end of the covered term you will be way ahead.
I second the opinion and advice from Ace.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catroach View Post
I’m purchasing a 2022 Chateau 28z and the Dealer was offering an extended warranty for 5 years for $8700. Is this a good deal and needed for this vehicle? What is your opinion or experience with Dealer extended warranties.
That's a great deal. For the dealer and finance guy/guyette that is. An ESP should only be bought if you feel the quality of the product is so bad that it needs some sort of breakdown insurance to compensate. If buying a thor product that suspicion might be justified but that are better "deals" on that insurance plan that what the dealer is offering. Why you ask am I calling it an insurance plan? Because it's NOT a warranty and you will need circus training to jump through the hoops to get a repair approved and paid for.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
That's a great deal. For the dealer and finance guy/guyette that is. An ESP should only be bought if you feel the quality of the product is so bad that it needs some sort of breakdown insurance to compensate. If buying a thor product that suspicion might be justified but that are better "deals" on that insurance plan that what the dealer is offering. Why you ask am I calling it an insurance plan? Because it's NOT a warranty and you will need circus training to jump through the hoops to get a repair approved and paid for.
Chunkier, You had a really bad experience. Don’t just arbitrarily tell the public that every Thor Coach is crap.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Chunkier, You had a really bad experience. Don’t just arbitrarily tell the public that every Thor Coach is crap.
I didn't. I said IF you don't have the confidence in it. History, in 2015 I bought a used Itasca Horizon DP. The Itasca Horizon is a very good quality A but I didn't get any service or maintenance records with it. I bought a 2 year plan, house and chassis, over the next few months serviced everything so there was a base line of maintenance and when the 2 year plan expired, I didn't renew because I had confidence in the quality of the motorhome. I did use the plan for a few things but I paid more than I got out of it unless you consider the peace of mind.

When I bought the Omni I bought a plan but I negotiated down the $$$. In that case I didn't have the confidence in the quality of the product so that was my insurance plan. I dumped it before it could be used and I'll get refunded the unused portion. Getting refunds takes longer than buying one.

Yes I got a POS with the Omni and some will be happy with their thor product. If the factory had a meaningful and truthful QA and any sort of QC to verify any QA, then there would be some consistency with the product they put out. New or potential owners only see the glitzy surface, hear the "promise of the dealer", and the blatantly false advertising. Opposing view points are helpful.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
The rv as a whole is warrantied for a year by Thor, whatever the chassis manufacturers is is also warrantied by that manufacturer for XX years & XXXXX miles, most all of the major appliances have typically a 2 year warranty by their manufacturers. If you feel the need for that extended warranty wait at least a year then shop around for the best deal you can find rather than the one your dealer is shoving down your throat that they will benefit from far more than you.
If or when you buy an ESP be sure to read & compare "what's covered" against "what's not", typically the not covered is a much longer list.
If you're not somewhat of a handyman, have tools & know how to use them, are physically able to be up/down over/under your rv, have basic electrical & plumbing knowledge & basic automotive maintenance skills then you may want to rethink rv ownership as there will ALWAYS be something needing attention due to the earthquake going on in your rv every time you travel down our highways. If you can't fix whatever may happen then expect it to sit in the dealers yard much longer than in yours.
Not trying to be a smart a##, just 45+ years of rv ownership experience.
Long story short NO NO NO DO NOT buy it from your dealer.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The rv as a whole is warrantied for a year by Thor, whatever the chassis manufacturers is is also warrantied by that manufacturer for XX years & XXXXX miles, most all of the major appliances have typically a 2 year warranty by their manufacturers, so if you feel the need for that extended warranty wait at least a year then shop around for the best deal you can find rather than the one your dealer is shoving down your throat that they are making tons of money on.
If or when you buy an ESP be sure to read & compare "what's covered" against "what's not", typically the not covered is a much longer list.
If you're not somewhat of a handyman, have tools & know how to use them, are physically able to be up/down over/under your rv, have basic electrical & plumbing knowledge & basic automotive maintenance skills then you may want to rethink rv ownership as there will ALWAYS be something needing attention due to the earthquake going on in your rv every time you travel down our highways. If you can't fix whatever may happen then expect it to sit in the dealers yard much longer than in yours.
Long story short NO NO NO DO NOT buy it from your dealer.
Excellent advice and understand that what the dealer is "offering" is highly inflated with huge profit margin for the seller. HUGE. The dealer can mark it down a lot and still make a profit. But that means sitting in the finance office a while longer and typically they are very pushy. Other FG, finance guy, offerings are paint sealants, interior treatment, tire "magic thingys", and other high profit items them can think of. More waste of money for the buyer.

EDIT adding; almost forgot, don't forget the "free stays" at some time share RV resorts.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #10

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Anybody have thoughts on Good Sams extended warranty for a 2017 Thor Miramar 25k miles? I purchased the unit with 22k miles no issues so far.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grampa View Post
Anybody have thoughts on Good Sams extended warranty for a 2017 Thor Miramar 25k miles? I purchased the unit with 22k miles no issues so far.
Read post #2 and on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #12

THOR #25912
Thank you for Feedback

As a RV newbie I appreciate everyone's comments. I asked the Dealer's customer service rep the same question and he gave the same advice but don't quote him lol. He also recommended a third party ESP if I needed one.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:32 PM   #13

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I didn't buy the extended warranty on my new 2021. But i did purchase the GOOD SAM Roadside Assistance. This is cheap roadside assistance, and one towing experience would be worth the premium each year.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:43 AM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have had coach's that we didn't have an ESP & we have had coach's that we have bought a service plan for. Our earlier motorhomes were simpler no slides, no levelers, no power bunks etc. = no service plan. This coach we bought used and as it had no mfgr warranty added the ESP at purchase, after much haggling on the price (It's amazing how much the price at the dealer is inflated based on the same plan purchased independently) Age and physical ability also had a lot to do with our decision on purchasing an ESP. Side note; within the first 30 days of ownership we had the step controller replaced, an awning motor & a cut sidewall tire replaced.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:57 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
As my dad used to say, "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away!" Even if you thoroughly read the ESP contracts, it's hard to understand how what you think is covered really isn't.

Do the math, the dealer and the sales guy get part of your premium and the insurance company must make a profit, so the odds of you claiming more than you spend for the coverage aren't good.

There are several threads on this topic, always with someone who really benefited and many who felt screwed.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:59 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Maryland
THOR #20189
We followed the ACE plan and have funds set aside for any issues. I also highly recommend really testing you RV in that first year. We did a cross country, 42-day trip and tested all the systems. Yes, we had issues, but got them all fixed or repaired under warranty. Don't baby you RV in that first year! And, we got really good at fixing our dumb mistakes. This forum has helped too!!
Old 02-09-2022, 03:53 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Agreed! It’s a rip off….
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:37 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If it is for sale from a dealership it is over priced.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #19
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catroach View Post
I (foolishly) bought the extended warranty. If I had to do it again, I would (Possibly) buy an extended for the chassis (Only) The rest is mostly do it yourself, especially when you take into account having to make appointments, and then the wait for repairs to be done. Better off doing them yourself.
If you want to get one for the chassis only, go to Floodfordesp.com. They are a Ford Car dealer that sells warranties online. They off some of the lowest rates for (Ford) extended warranties around.
I have a Ford ranger and the dealer wanted 2600 for 10 years/80,000 miles.
I got it for 1,300.00 from Flood Ford.
Since it is not your typical chassis, I would call to get the correct quote though.
https://www.floodfordesp.com/index.php
Old 02-09-2022, 03:56 PM   #20

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
Food for thought - Our 2021 Mag SV34 came with a transferrable 5 year 60,000 miles warranty from Cornerstone. The original owner paid $5,700 for it and we transferred it to us for $50. So far we have used it twice - Once for $1,700 for a slide repair and recently $750 for a leveling system repair. I wouldn't have paid for it myself but sure am enjoying the benefits. The mobile repair tech/owner that did the last repair handled of all the warranty phone calls and paperwork as well, that was awesome. Mobile tech/owner (used to work for Renegade) said he recommends anyone buying a new RV get a good extended warranty. I've been way more impressed with this extended warranty than I ever though I would be but then again I didn't pay for it...
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote