Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetion
State: Nevada
THOR #19899
Frameless window separation

We bought our 17 venetian A40 in July. We have had a couple of issues with our frameless windows. The first issue was when we were driving it home to Las Vegas from Dallas area and one of the windows just flew open the metal arm glue let loose from the glass. Was able to stop at a hardware store and get some glue and put it back on. Have had this happen twice now. On this trip my wife says sure is a lot of noise from this window. I think its the same problem. NOPE the glass is separated and the 2 panes are coming apart. Here are the questions. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it? Im thinking maybe just replace the whole window$$. Love to hear you thoughts. Thanks for all the advice

Old 01-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you considered calling a shop that specializes in automotive window glass replacement; and seeing if they are willing to suggest how to proceed? At the very least: they should know which adhesive products should work the best...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #3

State: Utah
THOR #25690
I have a 2015 Plazzo that is having the same issues. Thor did issue a recall but my year is not covered. I have contacted the NHTSA concerning this and they reached out to me several times for more information and told me how / what to look for to see if any of the other windows are starting to separate. I did find one more that is separating, Thor did not want to help out but I couldn’t continue to drive this knowing the risks to other motorists when this window flies apart.
I urge others with issues to contact NHTSA, this is a safety issue and Thor be addressing it.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

THOR #19899
Thought I would post un update on these windows. I have now had 4 different windows separate. I spoke to a local RV dealer (no Thor Dealer in LV) they said they use an epoxy to make this repair. I used the type they recommended and guess what? It lasted a year. I think I am just going to replace all the windows and go away from the frameless. I would welcome any venders people like. I watched a video of a place in Oregan that had good reviews, but I can remember the name and cannot find it. Will keep you posted!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Conversely, I have never had an issue with my frameless windows on any of my RVs including my 7 year old Thor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Contact Kinro or Haer the 2 manufacturers of the windows used in Thor rvs.
I had issues with windows on my last 5er made by Kinro & they were very helpful.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #7

THOR #19899
I reached out to Hehr that is who builds them. Maybe I will give them another call and see what I can find out. Thanks for the advice. I don't have much more hair to pull out
Old 03-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #8

THOR #19899
new window install update

I reached out to everyone and little or no help. Thor sorry your coach is out of warranty. HEHR no response after several emails and calls. I just decided to move on from the frameless and go with what has served me well for years on other RVs. I ordered new windows from Motion windows and could not have been happier. The customer service was amazing. One window was broken during shipping they took care of it. I am looking forward to our first road trip with the new windows in a couple weeks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4915.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	41359

Name:	IMG-4918.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	41360

Name:	IMG-4917.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	41361

Name:	IMG-4916.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	41362
Old 03-28-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfirecap View Post
I reached out to everyone and little or no help. Thor sorry your coach is out of warranty. HEHR no response after several emails and calls. I just decided to move on from the frameless and go with what has served me well for years on other RVs. I ordered new windows from Motion windows and could not have been happier. The customer service was amazing. One window was broken during shipping they took care of it. I am looking forward to our first road trip with the new windows in a couple weeks.
Attachment 41359

Attachment 41360

Attachment 41361

Attachment 41362
Looks good! Thanks for the update.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:52 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
State: Ohio
THOR #22742
Thanks for the information. I have a 2019 Aria and have had 5 frameless windows come unglued and fly open. I've used epoxy, silicone adhesive and heavy duty double sided tape to repair. All of them seem to be holding. This is a gigantic pain. Did you replace all of the windows in your RV with the new Motion windows? How much were they? Did you take them somewhere to get installed? Thanks again! -Jason
Old 06-07-2023, 05:29 PM   #11

THOR #19899
My windows were 6-800 each. I did it myself. It was super easy with a friend. Will need someone inside and outside. The prep of the old windows removing the glue was the hardest. That took a couple hours. The install taking our sweet time to not make any mistakes took an hour each. There is about an 1/16 of an inch all the way around where the old frame was wider than the new frames. I had one that showed up broken, their costumer service was second to none. I had a new one in about 3 weeks. Hope this helps, reach out with any other questions
Old 06-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #12

State: Ohio
THOR #22742
Thanks for the response. I appreciate all of the info you shared on your Thor "window journey".
Old 06-21-2023, 10:58 PM   #13
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfirecap View Post
We bought our 17 venetian A40 in July. We have had a couple of issues with our frameless windows. The first issue was when we were driving it home to Las Vegas from Dallas area and one of the windows just flew open the metal arm glue let loose from the glass. Was able to stop at a hardware store and get some glue and put it back on. Have had this happen twice now. On this trip my wife says sure is a lot of noise from this window. I think its the same problem. NOPE the glass is separated and the 2 panes are coming apart. Here are the questions. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it? Im thinking maybe just replace the whole window$$. Love to hear you thoughts. Thanks for all the advice
I have a 2019 Aria 3901. I highly recommend using U-428 urethane adhesive to rettach the track to the windows. Remove the existing adhesive from the track, clean the track with denatured alcohol, add adhesive full length of track, attach track to window, clamp for curing.

DOW U-428 Plus Auto Glass Windshield Urethane Primerless Adhesive Glue Sealant

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9PRJO2?