Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Washington
THOR #5261
help with breaker reset

Our stabilizers did not go all the way down, so I turned off our 2014 Thor ACE 30.1 and then tried to turn it back on, but it will not start. Thor said it might be the breaker needs to be reset. I've attached a picture of our breaker, but the black thing hanging down will not go back up, so is it broke, or is there another way to reset it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2831  

Old 08-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Have you tried pressing the red colored button? That red button should "trip" the breaker (turn it off completely) and if it is working right the lever should come even further into view than it is now. Then, press the lever up firmly and it should click into place.

You can measure with a meter across the wires of the breaker to verify if it is open (off).
Old 08-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

THOR #5261
resetting breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Have you tried pressing the red colored button? That red button should "trip" the breaker (turn it off completely) and if it is working right the lever should come even further into view than it is now. Then, press the lever up firmly and it should click into place.

You can measure with a meter across the wires of the breaker to verify if it is open (off).

Hi. There is no red button. That black thing hanging down is all there is.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Here is a replacement I found on the Internet. Maybe give them a call for how to reset it. Or to buy a replacement.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

THOR #5261
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Here is a replacement I found on the Internet. Maybe give them a call for how to reset it. Or to buy a replacement.
Thank you. I think we'll replace it with one that does have the red button.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #6

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by karihappy View Post
Hi. There is no red button. That black thing hanging down is all there is.
OK, I looked up that model of circuit breaker and it does not have a manual trip button like other models do. So you should (in theory) be able to reset the breaker by pushing up on the lever.

Do you have a meter? If so, you can easily check to see if this circuit breaker is really tripped. Just measure across the terminals to see if you measure zero volts. Or, measure from ground to each wire on the circuit breaker to see if voltage is getting through the breaker.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

THOR #5261
Thanks again

Quote:
OK, I looked up that model of circuit breaker and it does not have a manual trip button like other models do. So you should (in theory) be able to reset the breaker by pushing up on the lever.

Do you have a meter? If so, you can easily check to see if this circuit breaker is really tripped. Just measure across the terminals to see if you measure zero volts. Or, measure from ground to each wire on the circuit breaker to see if voltage is getting through the breaker.
Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

THOR #2154
I did have just one more thought... normally when this style of breaker trips, the lever drops down a lot lower than shown in your photo. If you haven't already tried it, pry down on that lever lightly to see if it mover further down. If it does, you can try again to push up on it firmly to see if it clicks into place.

I had one of these breakers do something similar once - it wasn't reset completely and would open up ever so slightly with vibration. My circuit breakers have the red trip button so in my case I could trip it so the lever came down completely.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

THOR #5261
Thank you

Quote:
I did have just one more thought... normally when this style of breaker trips, the lever drops down a lot lower than shown in your photo. If you haven't already tried it, pry down on that lever lightly to see if it mover further down. If it does, you can try again to push up on it firmly to see if it clicks into place.

I had one of these breakers do something similar once - it wasn't reset completely and would open up ever so slightly with vibration. My circuit breakers have the red trip button so in my case I could trip it so the lever came down completely.

Good luck.
Yes, we tried to pull on it, but it doesn't come down any more than it is in the picture. We hesitate to pull on it even harder for fear it will break. Thanks again for all your help. I'll write back when we get it in the shop to see what's going on and let you know what happened.