Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #18880
jack levels harness connections

Hope everyone is well. I've got a Thor Windsport 34j that I have recently been having problems getting power to the controller for the leveling jacks...finally had sometime to try to figure out the issue and it seems it could be partly because the female connectors in the wiring harness (if that's what it's called?) seem to be bent and probably not connecting properly? The LCI Leveling touchpad has a wire that goes from the touchpad to a grey connector that connects to the vehicle under / left of the brake petal.

I attached a couple of pictures.

The Grey piece is where the wires connect, when the grey male and female are connected, the leveler controller lights up intermittently (like it's a loose power connection issue)...if I wiggle the wires, the lights on the LCI touchpad flash on and off. When I pulled one of the wires out of the grey plastic housing I can see the female terminal looks mangled. I was hoping to just replace these terminal connections, problem is I have no idea what they are called or what size they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220828_180928124.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	39268   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220828_181721774.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	39269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220828_175352587.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	39270   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220828_184129310.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	39271  

Old 08-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
THOR #5248
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Au...02038300&psc=1

We use to call them weathertight connectors. The link is to a complete kit, but you’ll still need the crimping tool.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #3

THOR #18880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Au...02038300&psc=1

We use to call them weathertight connectors. The link is to a complete kit, but you’ll still need the crimping tool.
Thanks, any idea if there's a local chain that carries these? Searched AutoZone but they didn't seem to have any instock...wondering what other chains might.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:56 AM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Try contacting LCI directly in the morning, explain the situation and maybe they would send a connector/terminal pins, say it was shoddy workmanship. You can get by w/o any special tool, just a regular crimper, may not look as pretty.

Customer Service

customerservice@lci1.com
432-LIPPERT (432-547-7378)
Old 08-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #5

THOR #18880
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Try contacting LCI directly in the morning, explain the situation and maybe they would send a connector/terminal pins, say it was shoddy workmanship. You can get by w/o any special tool, just a regular crimper, may not look as pretty.

Customer Service

customerservice@lci1.com
432-LIPPERT (432-547-7378)
Thanks! Will do!
Old 08-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Nebraska
THOR #5967
You might also try a local car dealership, Ford,GM, Chrysler, parts dept. I was a Ford parts guy for 38 years and we stocked terminal repair wires such as that and they had 3” wires attached. Worth a shot anyway!
Old 09-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #7

THOR #18880
Thanks for the help again! So here's a quick summary on what I did to fix it for anyone else that comes up on the same issue. For my 2015 34J the part that I needed that went into the grey harness was a "Delphi Metri-Pack 280 Series Female Unsealed Terminal 12034046, Cable Range 20 18 ga (0.50 0.80 mm2) (25 pieces)" It had a marking of 19 on it, which after digging around put it in the 20-18ga size for this 280 series part. This part is also labeled as a Aptiv (mfr that bought Delphi) the Delphi/Aptiv part number is 12034046

I purchased the Delphi 280 series female 20-18ga from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZJMX7W...roduct_details

Also purchased the crimper (probably could have just used any other crimper, but given I was on a tight timeline to get things working, wanted to make sure I had everything I needed): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KFLY43...roduct_details

Was able to pull the old/deformed parts off, crimp on the new female terminals and insert them into the harness and then connected successfully back into the Chasis.

A few notes: I called a few RV places and they insisted they were GM parts and not something they had/could get without special order. I called a GM dealer to see if they had the parts and wouldn't even look with the VIN to a GM truck (the 34J is a Ford)...I also called a local Wesco (when I called Thor, they just pointed me to Wesco, guess they own Delphi/Aptiv) and they didn't have any Delphi parts in stock in their local location.

Anyway; Amazon came through $13 bag of 25 pieces for the part - $30 for overnight shipping and $18 crimper - took 15 minutes to rewire (felt like that - but being on my stomach wedged between the dog house and the drivers seat, with my head up against the brake petal - probably more like 5) and I was back in business...

Thanks again for the comments, definitely help me piece together the puzzle that ended up solving this issue.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #8

THOR #18880
btw - also called LCI as part of chasing the rabbit down the hole...they were very helpful, but it wasn't one of their wiring harnesses, so assuming since it connects to the black box in the chasis it's a Ford component?
Old 09-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
In the future you and anyone else should try Mouser... they have almost ever connector and pin known to man. I have used them ti built connectors to add accessories to my snowmobiles as well as other electronic projects.

https://www.mouser.com/
Old 09-06-2022, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullywork View Post
btw - also called LCI as part of chasing the rabbit down the hole...they were very helpful, but it wasn't one of their wiring harnesses, so assuming since it connects to the black box in the chasis it's a Ford component?
Nothing in the leveling system is a Ford component. Thor makes the RV wiring harness (or farms it out to a custom wiring harness manufacturer. The entire RV wiring harness has the leveling "harness" integrated into it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #11

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by tullywork View Post
Thanks, any idea if there's a local chain that carries these? Searched AutoZone but they didn't seem to have any instock...wondering what other chains might.
If you have an Ace hardware you can buy them there, individual or packets.