Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
1st problem with my Tuscanny

I made a emergency trip to Florida on Friday to pick up my mom and stepdad because they are in there late 70's, and were afraid to fly home because of the Corona Virus and my sister, 9 yr old son and I left Fri at Noon and drove Straight to there house in Avon Park we got there at 1:30pm on Saturday and loaded them up and left by 5:30 all was well until we stopped north of Atlanta Ga I stopped for fuel and the drive was kinda steep into a speedway and the motorhome twisted going up the drive and that's when both check engine lights came on def gauge was blinking red even though it was 3/4 full, and dash cluster said "no J1939 Data" and all gauges when dead, And having worked on these system as a mechanic before I retired I thought oh crap were not going to make it home.
So got the rig off to the side with knowing it was the harness from the engine ecm to the dash was most likely the fault I followed it from rear to front and inside the left front compartment was the fuse box (cab ecm)
I found the harness ziptied to the frame just before the plug and the plug pulled apart lucky it was an easy fix as I had no tools other than pliers and vice grips and we were on the road in 45min.

30 miles up the road the pass mirror almost fell off because the wood screws the factory used pulled loose and the only 2 screws that were left in I was able to lock the vice grips on to keep them from falling out until I got home. Next day I tore the mirrors arms apart and removed the wood screws and drilled the holes with a 5/16 drill bit and used stainless steel bolts washers and locknuts on both sides.

The factory had small wooden blocks imbedded into the fiberglass to hold the mirrors and 2 screws just barely caught the edge of the blocks,What were they thinking?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
The last sentence of your post explains it all.

They WEREN'T thinking !

Sounds like you've got it all under control now. Stay safe, and thanks for taking case of the elders.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Which Tuscany do you have?

glad you got it under control

I have never noticed any flex anywhere close to that going in drives but do try to avoid any that don't look good

Here in this area a lot of tour busses get caught and high center on some wicked drives
Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like your 'event' was not as bad as you dreaded, and was a relative easy fix(is anything easier than finding an 'unplugged' connection? Nice...)

yes, these coaches all are built in the same factory, down the same line, with the same people, processes, and equipment/products/parts/pieces/wood/screws/etc, and some days tend to be 'better' than others - your's was probably the last unit on a Friday!

If these are you only 'real' issues, you are doing well!

Keep the family safe, you are a good son!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #5

THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Which Tuscany do you have?

glad you got it under control

I have never noticed any flex anywhere close to that going in drives but do try to avoid any that don't look good

Here in this area a lot of tour busses get caught and high center on some wicked drives
2014 Tuscany 40ex
Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #6

THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like your 'event' was not as bad as you dreaded, and was a relative easy fix(is anything easier than finding an 'unplugged' connection? Nice...)

yes, these coaches all are built in the same factory, down the same line, with the same people, processes, and equipment/products/parts/pieces/wood/screws/etc, and some days tend to be 'better' than others - your's was probably the last unit on a Friday!

If these are you only 'real' issues, you are doing well!

Keep the family safe, you are a good son!
Thank You,
I have been really happy with it so far, we went to Parachute Colorado, from Ohio and Florida twice and before I retired a couple times for work instead of staying in motels.
It has it little things like the night shade on front windshield doesn't work anymore.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
2014 Tuscany 40ex
Nice coach