Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2022, 01:49 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Temperature is critical. NEVER wax in the sun or hot temperatures. You can do as small of a section as you like, but more work and will take longer. On a car, I may wax the entire thing. Go get a beer to go with the one I already have, go get my wife if it is her car and she helps to buff the wax off. They tell you to do the small sections because some people will #1 put on too much wax and #2 have done so in the sun and it bakes and very hard t o get off. Then they go on a social site and complain about how bad the was was

I wax a full 1/3 of my side before I go back and buff it out. Ladder is always nearby but I do go up ladder twice for each area. I have gone a full week waxing my RV. I think 2 days has been the fastest. If I break a sweat, I stop, it ain't suppose to be work.

Remember, my RV is out in Sun every day, no cover, and crap from tree. It makes it even more special for me.

From what you describe, you may need to wax that front cap 3 times a year but not your entire RV ; you under a cover 6 months a year. Maybe that cover is NOT blocking UV and holding more heat?
I actually turned the RV sideways before the sun had a chance to touch the side I was working on... generally north facing. The side was cool to the touch. It's the awning side, so I even extended that to give even more shade... besides Marco (my encouragement pup) likes the shade . I NEVER work in direct sun... bad for me and the RV. If I started downing cold ones midday, I'd be taking a "Joe nap" by 3pm!!

I think you're right on the cap... BUT I have left it facing direct west sun. The rear cap only gets the morning sun and not a speck of oxidation on it! I'm hoping after getting it polished up and using a ROTATION schedule, it will help prevent the baking.

When I removed the cover in late April ?? there was NO oxidation anywhere except the front cap. It took about 6 weeks of sun/weather to start the destruction. So the cover IS doing it's job. Had I waxed it as soon as the cover came off... (coulda, shoulda, woulda).

Old 07-01-2022, 03:10 AM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I actually turned the RV sideways before the sun had a chance to touch the side I was working on... generally north facing. The side was cool to the touch. It's the awning side, so I even extended that to give even more shade... besides Marco (my encouragement pup) likes the shade . I NEVER work in direct sun... bad for me and the RV. If I started downing cold ones midday, I'd be taking a "Joe nap" by 3pm!!

I think you're right on the cap... BUT I have left it facing direct west sun. The rear cap only gets the morning sun and not a speck of oxidation on it! I'm hoping after getting it polished up and using a ROTATION schedule, it will help prevent the baking.

When I removed the cover in late April ?? there was NO oxidation anywhere except the front cap. It took about 6 weeks of sun/weather to start the destruction. So the cover IS doing it's job. Had I waxed it as soon as the cover came off... (coulda, shoulda, woulda).
Might sound crazy but you need a tree. Put it on the west side and it will protect the front cap while parked. I can't imagine the struggle with Class C overhang cap? Must be hard to get to. Assuming you won't take my advice and by a large Buckeye Tree, I would just target to waxing the front cap 4 times a year. Once before the cover is put on, again when cover is removed and 2 more times during the summer. You should only wax it early mornings or very late evenings and when it is nice and cool.

I have two way of primary parking on my pad. Backed in perpendicular to alley way with front facing due north, an parked forward at about a 45 degree angle with front facing Southeast. It just works out to be 50/50 each way I park based on what I am doing or need.

I was when weather is perfect and I feel good and I work with the side that is the coolest and has the most shade.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:23 AM   #63

THOR #16721
We've considered having a cover erected with a roof and wall on the south side. Then I'm back to using a portable solar panel for winter battery maintenance. Might be a better trade-off though.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:51 AM   #64

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Its starting to get cool outside. Time to apply that wax again. Found that the Turtle Wax and Dry is great.. Easily applied to sides, windows, end caps. Incredible shine, just spray and wipe with a micro fiber cloth.....

I applied prior to Ian swinging bye last week, no visible spotting at all after rain. I split the task, upper and lower sides, 20 min to apply walking around, then pull out the ladder and work the upper sections. Then finish off by spraying on the tire rims....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-10-04_21-49-40.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	39658   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-10-04_21-58-13.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	39659  

Old 10-21-2022, 11:28 PM   #65

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Washington
THOR #23201
I e mailed Meguires today and told them I used the fiberglass restoration kit on my class c and what wax do they recommend. (Plan to wax twice a year) He said to use hybrid ceramic wax, it should provide protection for 3-6 months depending on where it’s parked and what it’s exposed to. I tried that spray ceramic crap on the cab (sprinter) what a waste of money that was, I won’t even use it on my lawn mower. Has anyone used this product?
https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...wax-16-oz.html
Old 10-21-2022, 11:51 PM   #66
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Try Turtle Wax ICE. I found this to be good.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:55 AM   #67

THOR #16721
From experience... I tried a big box ceramic spray. Not impressed. Made the surface slick, but near zero protection from gelcoat oxidation.

My call to Meguiars inquiring about what products they recommend for protecting gelcoat from oxidation? Straight from the source... Meguiars Flagship marine wax.

I applied two coats this past spring, and it's time for the "winter coat".
Old 10-22-2022, 01:04 AM   #68

THOR #13058
Ceramic wax made by anybody is just the latest trend (fad) and marketing. It is great if your alternative is doing nothing, or for those that just want to apply a coat fast and not spend 5 hours doing a real wax job.

I have been waxing cars since about 10 years old, and the newer waxes are all great. What I use is in the thread. I like my results, I am ok with the effort it requires so change is not in my future for this RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-22-2022, 01:12 AM   #69

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
From experience... I tried a big box ceramic spray. Not impressed. Made the surface slick, but near zero protection from gelcoat oxidation.

My call to Meguiars inquiring about what products they recommend for protecting gelcoat from oxidation? Straight from the source... Meguiars Flagship marine wax.

I applied two coats this past spring, and it's time for the "winter coat".
It was just too hot for me to apply my winter coat on my usual schedule, now I have leaves falling on the roof every day; so I will wait until that Cedar Elm tree drops the last leaf and I will wax that roof and all of the sides. I did wax the caps where my roof and front/rear fiberglass transition about 6 weeks ago. Of course my RV always has wax from RV Wash & Wax Gel Coat.