Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That's why everyone should have tpms, they can monitor tire pressure and temperatures. I was traveling through Iowa at 75mph at times on a 95 degree day without any problems. Without tpms we never know what is going on
I looked down at the speedo on I-90... it indicated 90mph!

Then I glanced up at the rear monitor and saw Dale Earnhardt Junior's grinning face... he was pushing me with a custom Freightliner...

Old 07-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #42

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I looked down at the speedo on I-90... it indicated 90mph!

Then I glanced up at the rear monitor and saw Dale Earnhardt Junior's grinning face... he was pushing me with a custom Freightliner...
Get the 5 star tune and you might be able to out run him
Old 07-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #43

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I've always run max psi imprinted on the tire. Over 250,000 miles traveled in various rigs (most with those dreaded China bombs) and my flats have consisted of a cut valve stem, 2 nails, the metal bracket from the POS mud flap, and a curb.
that is fine if you have the weight load. Here is an example: I autocross and the tire manufacture provides very specific pressure guide (road tires), reason? Has nothing to do with comfort. The contact patch gets smaller with over pressure as the center pushes out. So if one has higher pressure than the chart states the contact patch of the tire is reduced. Might not mean anything to what we do with RV. To each their own: I like to have the optimal contact patch as it provides the best traction which also means the best braking and with 32,000 pounds- 38,000 pounds, I want to be able to stop in the shortest distance as possible. Just in case.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #44
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I run max PSI on my motorhome last 5 years and nearly 40,000 miles and no issue. If it rides rough it's because your suspension needs work, not the PSI in your tires. I had spring work done on mine by a professional company and it rides fine. For a premium ride you need to go air ride. It's a big truck with a box on it so you have to treat it like one.
You do you.

The rest of us will follow chassis and tire manufacturers recommendations.

I can not fathom putting 110 or 120 PSI in a tire that only requires 82 PSI with the MH at GVWR.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #45

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
TIRE SHINE
I am using Tire Shine om my G670 245/70R19.5 RV tires, and was told that Tire Shine will degrade the tire? Is this correct? I have purchased a set of tire covers and would like to know if the tire shine should go in the round file?
Old 07-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #46
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
TIRE SHINE
I am using Tire Shine om my G670 245/70R19.5 RV tires, and was told that Tire Shine will degrade the tire? Is this correct? I have purchased a set of tire covers and would like to know if the tire shine should go in the round file?
https://www.carwashcountry.com/is-ti...bad-for-tires/

https://www.google.com/

https://duckduckgo.com/

And for you: https://search.yahoo.com/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #47

THOR #20274
Quote:
TIRE SHINE
I use Meguiar's and I looked up the ingredients and it shows water based silicone and uv protectant the other ingredient is some of the same ingredients that are in the tire. Many tire manufacturers (BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, etc.) have issued technical service bulletins advising against the use of tire dressings containing Dimethalsiloxane (DMS) a petroleum distillate solvent. (Ford, General Motors and Chrysler) have issued advisories or technical bulletins to their dealers to not use heavy petroleum distillate-dimethyl silicone oil dressings for another reason; paint and wheel surface staining. Auto companies have found that it is next to impossible to remove the stains, In some cases, even repainting the part doesn’t' t work as the stain comes back through the new paint, requiring the part to be replaced. Most factory styled wheels are coated with a clear coat type of coating. Some are more porous than others and use of an incorrect dressing may stain them the same as the body parts.

Tire Dressing Overspray (Sling)
Old 07-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #48

THOR #22342
Thanks. I will be a little more careful on what i apply to the RV and tires. I am realizing that the tires are a major investment and need to be cared for as such. Having the inner tire go to zero was a wake up call and I think a TPMS system is a must. Not sure why they arent standard equip on the F53 chassis. With the cost of RV parts sky rocketing, I pay close attention to the Generator, Engine and Tire......
Old 07-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #49

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Right, I couldn't imagine putting 110 pounds in each tire. That would be way over the axle capacity and everything on the motorhome, why would I want to be beat to death by my tires for no reason. Raising the air pressure isn't going to make a e450 chassis into a f53 chassis or f53 into a freightliner. Overloading the chassis and raising air pressure in the tires doesn't make sense to me
Your tires will last longer with less failures when operated at higher pressure than at lower pressure. A marginally inflated tires flexes much more and heats up accordingly. A tire operated at sidewall PSIG will last longer albeit a harsher ride if the PSIG is more than the load requres

More motor home catastropically fail due to lower pressure and high temperatures than on commercial vehicles. That is a fact and there are many reasons

Error on the higher side, not on the lower side of inflation charts
Old 07-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #50

THOR #20274
It's not slightly inflated it is over the full capacity of the vehicle according to Goodyear inflation pressure
Old 07-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #51

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And most RV tires age out before they wear out so “long life” is not critical. I use the manufacturer’s recommended pressure from the table they provide based on my actual, measured weight. I usually start a trip with a couple of psi over for a safety margin and to allow for a cooler day and then I keep an eye on my TPMS. I certainly concur that under inflated is very harmful, but I see no value in over inflating them. And the harder ride also is undesirable. To preach his own.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #52

THOR #22342
i have been monitoring tire pressure closely here for a month or two. I have an TPMS monitor and am showing the aft left inner tire is about 4-6 lbs low over a month. It is very difficult to see or detect a leak that slow.

Is this covered under warranty. The unit was purchased in Nov 2020. I would rather replace the tire and take a credit vs. chasing this pressure decrease over the life of the RV. Anyone ever have this? Do i need to go to the certified FORD F53 dealer here?
Old 08-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #53

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
i have been monitoring tire pressure closely here for a month or two. I have an TPMS monitor and am showing the aft left inner tire is about 4-6 lbs low over a month. It is very difficult to see or detect a leak that slow.

Is this covered under warranty. The unit was purchased in Nov 2020. I would rather replace the tire and take a credit vs. chasing this pressure decrease over the life of the RV. Anyone ever have this? Do i need to go to the certified FORD F53 dealer here?
Most likely it’s the valve extender connection somewhere within the fitting.
Typically that is the slow leak you are seeing.
So, suggest you remove the fittings, lightly lubricate, and test each orifice. Spray a soapy solution and look for bubbles.
Let us know your results.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #54

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I agree, especially if you have extensions on the wheel. It’s very common for them to leak. But even if you don’t have extensions I doubt that you’ll find anyone much interested in treating a 6 pound air loss as a warranty item. If it was mine I’d just put a few extra pounds in it and then air it up every 6 weeks or so. Of course, if it was mine I’d also spend the money to put actual dually valves on it and in doing so they will have to remove the tire from the wheel and then remount it and that almost certainly would fix it.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #55

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
There was a recall on Frieghtliner for the inside wheel valve stem. They placed a rubber spacer on our rig to prevent the slow leak valve stem issue. I check every tire before leaving.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #56

THOR #22342
Thanks, will do. The valve stem extender is one of the items that make this RV great. Next service at my RV oil change, i will have them reseat the extender. Thanks for quick response. if that is the only thing on my list... I'm doing good comparatively