Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2022, 03:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12937
Lippert slide out error code 6

Full wall slide out. When trying to get it out the other day the rear motor did not seem to be working as the rear did not go out at all. Front would but then stopped since rear was not. Got a loud popping noise in the front when coming in.

Lippert controller gives me 6 red blinks for motor 1. That code is motor short circuit. I figured rear motor shorted out and wasn't working.

Today I tried it and both the fro t and rear went out a few inches and then I stopped and brought back in and then back out a few inches and back in. I was afraid to go too far out and get it stuck out.

With the rear motor now seemingly working some I am not sure what the error code means or what to do to troubleshoot and fix. Anyone dealt with this error code?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:04 AM   #2

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
I would think a "short circuit" code is one where the circuit is drawing too much current.
Maybe the motor is jamming or the wiring has a fault in it that is intermittent and either draws a lot of current, some things to check for.
You will eventually have to run the slide out and if parked, now is the time to check it out and acquaint yourself with the setup and find out how to do a manual 'close-up'
Old 06-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
That popping noise could be the motor hopping up and down in the block. There’s only one little set screw holding it. If you can slide it out a couple inches you can peel back the rubber sweep from the outside. Motor is at top. If it’s popping up and binding that could cause it to try to pull too much juice. Otherwise, call Lippert.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
If the slide is currently closed or partially closed, the first thing I would do is pull the bulb seal back from the top of wall and inspect the wiring coming out of the top of the motor. Make sure the six wires coming out of the motor are not damaged and make sure the encoder on the top of the motor (under the plastic cover) has not been damaged.

When operating my full-wall slide, I could watch the tremendous torque cause the motor to move because the motor is held down my a very small setscrew. That set screw can come loose, bend or even shear off and then the motor can move and pinch a wire or even damage the encoder.

You should also check to make sure the harness connecting the motor to the Controller is plugged in securely.

One troubleshooting step you can try is to see if the manual override procedure will work (see below). This will verify that both motors are turning properly and allow you to operate the slide if both motors are operational and a key wire is not completely broken.

If you are able to retract and extend the slide this way, try going through the resync procedure again.

Make sure there is nothing obstructing the movement of the slide and be sure to hold the Extend / Retract button for 2 - 3 seconds after the slide is fully extended or retracted to keep the motors in sync.

I had the crappy Schwintek Slide Mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide System, which is far superior in terms of design and components. The Schwintek Slide Mechanism is just not robust enough for a heavy, full-wall slide. One of the weakest links is the motor is not bolted down into the bearing block. The motor housing is kept from spinning by four pins and it is only held down by a single small setscrew. Over time the motor starts moving more and more from the tremendous torque and it can pinch a wire or start lifting out of the bearing block (popping sound while moving).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.32.18 AM.png
Views:	67
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	38253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.34.38 AM.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	38254  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.37.27 AM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	38255  
Old 06-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #5

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Pull the rubber seal from the outside at the tracks look at the V groove white wheel, it sounds like that wheel has pulled of of its hub and is causing the slide motor to drag the slide in and out causing the motor to see higher amperage and thinks it's closed and stops. You have a wheel at the bottom of each track. If you have 1 bad the others will soon fail also. Also this causes the slide to slightly drop, causing the top of compartment storage doors to get close to the bottom of the slide.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Pull the rubber seal from the outside at the tracks look at the V groove white wheel, it sounds like that wheel has pulled of of its hub and is causing the slide motor to drag the slide in and out causing the motor to see higher amperage and thinks it's closed and stops. You have a wheel at the bottom of each track. If you have 1 bad the others will soon fail also. Also this causes the slide to slightly drop, causing the top of compartment storage doors to get close to the bottom of the slide.
Another reason the Schwintek Mechanism is garbage.... plastic V-rollers / wheels trying to be one of the components supporting all that weight.

The Vroom Mechanism uses high load bearings instead of V-rollers.