Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Low point drain valve leaking

Sitting at our campsite in southern WV, noticed the cold low point valve has a slow drip... about once per second. Not significant, but irritating. We have water available...

These are the tiny black plastic ones with tiny pull handles which resemble miniature waste valve handles.

I suspect there is debris stuck in the valve, because the handle won't quite seat all the way - like the hot one is.

Any ideas for a "quick road fix"? I have a fair assortment of tools, but prefer not to drain the system and pull the valve if I can avoid it. That's a job for home! Thanks for any ideas!

Old 05-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Exercise the valve several times with pressure on

Might flush out debris and seat
Old 05-10-2022, 01:10 PM   #3

THOR #16721
Yep I did that... with pump on so it would blast water through it. No success... yet, but I'm gonna try that again.

Also noticed fresh tank drain is very slowly dripping!! Very suspect that I have crap stuck in the valves. So much for the blue Camco filters!

Just need to get through until we get home late Saturday...
Old 05-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Yep I did that... with pump on so it would blast water through it. No success... yet, but I'm gonna try that again.

Also noticed fresh tank drain is very slowly dripping!! Very suspect that I have crap stuck in the valves. So much for the blue Camco filters!

Just need to get through until we get home late Saturday...
Don’t blame the blue filter yet. Could be construction debris lodging itself loose.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
If previous poster solution does not work for you and your low point drain pipe protrudes sufficiently below the coach floor, you could try a small push on valve to stop the leak. I am not sure if the Amazon one per link below can be removed like a sharkbite fitting, but if it can be removed, it could be a useful fitting for certain future plumbing emergencies. Enough to get you home for a permanent fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-959098-...s%2C211&sr=8-5
Old 05-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

THOR #16721
Looks like the Thor factory ones are held with stainless clamps.

If the junk doesn't break loose, looks like I'll have to remove a few valves and flush out all the lines when I get home.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:30 PM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Don’t blame the blue filter yet. Could be construction debris lodging itself loose.
Agreed. It took two seasons, but the construction junk most likely decided to bite me!
Old 05-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Have you filled your tank with some extremely hard water? Calcium carbonate can form, and the crystals will partially block valves.

If you think that is a possibility, then a mild food grade citric acid flush will be of help.

My neighbor filled his tank with a water hose that had laid out in the sun full of water for a couple days. This is on a hard water source, and they plugged all the aerators and screens.

Water always presents opportunities one way or another
Old 05-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Have you filled your tank with some extremely hard water? Calcium carbonate can form, and the crystals will partially block valves.

If you think that is a possibility, then a mild food grade citric acid flush will be of help.

My neighbor filled his tank with a water hose that had laid out in the sun full of water for a couple days. This is on a hard water source, and they plugged all the aerators and screens.

Water always presents opportunities one way or another
I noticed it leaking before I added any WV water... which is probably hard water. I filled the tank at home, but it was pouring rain all day Saturday and Saturday night and I didn't notice it leaking. The wife noticed it was a little wet under the MH on Sunday, but I just told her it was still wet from rain.

I'm never one to get stuck on a hypothesis, but the construction debris fits. Our home water is relatively soft and neutral... a little iron if anything.

So the plan is to occasionally full the valve and flush - fingers crossed something dislodges.