Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
wala?

Old 03-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
That is unbelievable. I can't decide whether this is ignorance or arrogance. There were probably a dozen workers building that coach, and none of them noticed or cared about this? Didn't anyone have "plumb vent" on their punch list?

When the Japanese, Koreans, etc. start building RVs and all of those people are out of a job, I hope they remember why.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #23

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
wow!

sadly, I find it believable.....
Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad13 View Post
wala?
I think he meant "violà".
Old 03-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike View Post
.... I think this needs to be taken to the top of Thor to let them know how great their QC department is. Miramar owners or prospective buyers beware.....

I agree that a letter to the executives at Thor will get some attention.

However, keep in mind that while it's easy to blame the QC Department, that is not the department at fault. The QC/QA Department does not make or assemble anything.

In any manufacturing environment in the past forty years the responsibility and accountability for Quality has been shifted to the actual employees who touched the pipe and capped it, in this case.

Operating on very lean budgets, U.S.A. manufacturers/assemblers long ago completely eliminated the dedicated full-time position of "inspector". Management also legally removed the "it's not my job to inspect", from all the union labor contracts, (in union shops). Many companies, in an attempt to save money, may have very well eliminated the dedicated Quality Control/Assurance Department altogether! Except for industries such as aerospace, automotive (non-RV), drugs, medical, and food production, the accountability for a company's Quality has been deeply integrated throughout the entire organization. "Whoever touches it, is responsible for it", is the modern Lean Manufacturing mantra. In the industries that still require and maintain a dedicated Quality Control/Assurance Department it's a high level executive branch of the company that is responsible for certifications, document control, calibration, design validation testing, environmental issues, procedures, policies, safety, and the entire business management system.

If they do have a Quality Department, it's still going to be the responsibility of the actual assemblers on the floor to be directly accountable for the quality at each assembly operation. The Quality Department will be able to track down the exact Production Department employee who is responsible for capping the pipe, based on the shop traveler.

If there was a final inspection by a Quality Department inspector, they would not have seen the capped off pipe behind the installed shower, and un-drained water during testing, would have just been wiped up prior to shipment.

Just Say'in!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #682
Miramar 34.2 shower

Beacher good point but Thor QC checklist should at least see there was no Vent through roof. I cant imagine they don't run a few of these thru the line.

I definitely will send letter but if its like anything else Ive seen probably wont get response:
Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #27

State: New York
THOR #1169
Glad you got it resolved. Didn't you also have a vent at the front of the roof? Any insight on what this vent is for?
Old 03-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #28

THOR #682
Miramar 34.2 shower

I asked the same question, It goes no where according to dealership that did work. They climbed up and ran line and it didnt go anywhere!

I guess no 2 Miramars are alike.

I would like to say though besides all the other piddly stuff ive fixed and this miscue I still love the darn thing!!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #29

State: New York
THOR #1169
It is a really nice rig!!!