Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2022, 03:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
No 12-volt power when disconnected from shore power

I have a 2019 Thor Miramar and yesterday I found that when the shore power is unplugged, I cannot turn the main power (12 volt) switch on. I can turn on the inverter and it runs the refrigerator with no issues. When I turn on shore power or the generator the main power switch lights up and I have 12 volt lights. As soon as I disconnect shore power or turn off the generator the main power light goes off and I have no 12-volt power. I’m thinking the converter works since I have 12 volts when plugged into shore power. Where would you suggest to start troubleshooting? Would you think it is the main power switch itself? Thank you for any suggestions as I have not completely wrapped my head around the electrical.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
If yours is like my 2016 Miramar, I don't think you have a converter... Just an inverter for your refrigerator and a few plugs on that side of the coach. Your lights are 12 volt and run off the battery as long as the use/store switch is in use mode. That doesn't matter when on AC from genny or power cord... The current then simply passes through.

First make sure you have it in use mode.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #3

THOR #15951
That’s where my problem is. The use switch won’t turn on unless I have shore/generator power applied. My model does have a separate converter/charger from the inverter. Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #4

THOR #15951
I probably should have said use/store instead of main power switch.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I stand corrected... Yes there is a converter. I've never had an issue so kind of forget about it. I recently had to replace my inverter.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
I have a 2019 Thor Miramar and yesterday I found that when the shore power is unplugged, I cannot turn the main power (12 volt) switch on. I can turn on the inverter and it runs the refrigerator with no issues. When I turn on shore power or the generator the main power switch lights up and I have 12 volt lights. As soon as I disconnect shore power or turn off the generator the main power light goes off and I have no 12-volt power. I’m thinking the converter works since I have 12 volts when plugged into shore power. Where would you suggest to start troubleshooting? Would you think it is the main power switch itself? Thank you for any suggestions as I have not completely wrapped my head around the electrical.
Your USE/STORE switch controls a battery disconnect latching relay. The control power to operate the latching relay comes from the house batteries. The inverter is connected directly to the batteries. The fact that it works says your batteries are working. So does starting the generator.

You have one of 3 possible problems:

1 - The 50 amp DC breaker in your battery compartment is tripped. Push the flag in to reset it. If you don't see the flag, trip it by pushing the button and then reset it. This is NOT the 100 amp DC breaker - that goes to your generator.

2 - The latching relay has given up and needs to be replaced.

3 - The wiring to control your latching relay has a problem. There is generally a 5 amp inline fuse for this control power at the latching relay. Make sure it is not blown.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
IIRC someone in the past posted that the light on the use/store switch being on indicates that your on shore power or generator not that the switch is on. So trip that switch on/off while unplugged & see if you have 12 volt power in one position or the other, the light on the switch probably won't be lit in either position.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #8

THOR #15951
Thank you. I will look at that tonight.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #9

THOR #15951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
IIRC someone in the past posted that the light on the use/store switch being on indicates that your on shore power or generator not that the switch is on. So trip that switch on/off while unplugged & see if you have 12 volt power in one position or the other, the light on the switch probably won't be lit in either position.

I thought in the past the light was on when in use and no shore power but could be wrong. I’ll check that tonight also. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #10

THOR #15951
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your USE/STORE switch controls a battery disconnect latching relay. The control power to operate the latching relay comes from the house batteries. The inverter is connected directly to the batteries. The fact that it works says your batteries are working. So does starting the generator.

You have one of 3 possible problems:

1 - The 50 amp DC breaker in your battery compartment is tripped. Push the flag in to reset it. If you don't see the flag, trip it by pushing the button and then reset it. This is NOT the 100 amp DC breaker - that goes to your generator.

2 - The latching relay has given up and needs to be replaced.

3 - The wiring to control your latching relay has a problem. There is generally a 5 amp inline fuse for this control power at the latching relay. Make sure it is not blown.
Is the latching relay typically in the Battery compartment? Would you think this is it?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2022-10-25_11-12-45.pdf (175.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-25-2022, 09:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
Is the latching relay typically in the Battery compartment? Would you think this is it?
That is it in the schematic but it's not normally in the battery compartment. It's normally close to the Power Center/Converter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote