Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany M-4051
State: California
THOR #27641
Norcold Fridge leaking water

I have a 4 door Norcold model 1210IM. It has been leaking after letting it run for a couple days.

I checked the drain hose that goes to the outside and the little fitting in the hose and both are clear.

The water is actually leaking from underneath the fridge where the lower mounting trim is screwed in. There is like a plastic part that mounts to the wood cabinet to dress up the edge where the fridge is installed. Its leaking from there? Everything outside looks dry and seems to fine.

Im thinking I have to pull the fridge to see? Anyone have any ideas before I try removing the fridge as it seams a little involved. It seams that anything that could leak would be on the back side? The door seal also looks to be fine.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
If it’s just condensation that’s leaking, then most likely the fridge isn’t quite level in the cabinet or the mh is off level.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Does it have an Ice Maker? Could be the source.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:16 PM   #4

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
If it’s just condensation that’s leaking, then most likely the fridge isn’t quite level in the cabinet or the mh is off level.
Its too much water to be condensation. It soaks the little carpet that is around it and when I tuck a towel up in front of fridge it will get soaked also.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #5

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Does it have an Ice Maker? Could be the source.
It does have an Ice maker...I was thinking along those lines also. I will double check the outside access area again but it appears to be coming from the inside somehow.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #6

THOR #27641
So I double checked the access panel and there is some water in the overflow pan from the drip tray so that tells me that is working. I could not see any issues with ice water line. Looks like you have to pull fridge to get to the top where it connects. So in the mean time I shut off water to the fridge to see if that works. I turned it on last night and have a weekend trip in the motorhome so I will see how it does and let everyone know.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabzbad View Post
So I double checked the access panel and there is some water in the overflow pan from the drip tray so that tells me that is working. I could not see any issues with ice water line. Looks like you have to pull fridge to get to the top where it connects. So in the mean time I shut off water to the fridge to see if that works. I turned it on last night and have a weekend trip in the motorhome so I will see how it does and let everyone know.
Thanks
Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Did you just recently fill your fresh water tank?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:12 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I have a 4 door Norcold model 1210IM. It has been leaking after letting it run for a couple days.

I checked the drain hose that goes to the outside and the little fitting in the hose and both are clear.

The water is actually leaking from underneath the fridge where the lower mounting trim is screwed in. There is like a plastic part that mounts to the wood cabinet to dress up the edge where the fridge is installed. Its leaking from there? Everything outside looks dry and seems to fine.

Im thinking I have to pull the fridge to see? Anyone have any ideas before I try removing the fridge as it seams a little involved. It seams that anything that could leak would be on the back side? The door seal also looks to be fine.

Thanks
What is it that make you certain it is not condensation? If it takes 2 days to leak, it does not sound like water supply line.

I would get a a diagram of the Norcold unit to see all of the possible places water may drip. I would be suspicious of auto defrost system and where that water flows.

If your fridge allows you turn off freezer while fridge still runs you might try that as well.

My Norcold ( a basic one) is designed to drip ( drip cup) and if the air circulation, vents fans or whatever are not working properly it will leak at the bottom. Maybe the system can't keep up with the capacity of humidity and / or auto defroster? That is why the diagram is what I would do first before moving anything.

PS: Keep that carpet dry and aired out as much as possible so you don't have two problems. Good luck on your trip.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:22 PM   #10

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Did you just recently fill your fresh water tank?
No I didn't?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:27 PM   #11

THOR #27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What is it that make you certain it is not condensation? If it takes 2 days to leak, it does not sound like water supply line.

I would get a a diagram of the Norcold unit to see all of the possible places water may drip. I would be suspicious of auto defrost system and where that water flows.

If your fridge allows you turn off freezer while fridge still runs you might try that as well.

My Norcold ( a basic one) is designed to drip ( drip cup) and if the air circulation, vents fans or whatever are not working properly it will leak at the bottom. Maybe the system can't keep up with the capacity of humidity and / or auto defroster? That is why the diagram is what I would do first before moving anything.

PS: Keep that carpet dry and aired out as much as possible so you don't have two problems. Good luck on your trip.
I have both the installation and operation manuals that came with it. I will have a look. I cant turn off just the freezer. I also put a fan on it to dry it out

I will see what happens this weekend and see if turning the water off to the ice maker make a difference.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #12

THOR #27641
So Figured it out. I showed my buddy camping and on the outside access panel he noticed when you slightly moved the water line coming into that compartment that there was a small leak at the hose clamp where it changes from flexible to solid plastic water line. We tighten it up and no more leak. That explains why it took 2-3 days for it to start leaking inside. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
So Figured it out. I showed my buddy camping and on the outside access panel he noticed when you slightly moved the water line coming into that compartment that there was a small leak at the hose clamp where it changes from flexible to solid plastic water line. We tighten it up and no more leak. That explains why it took 2-3 days for it to start leaking inside. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Thanks for coming back and sharing the fix!