Originally Posted by javelin
30more, I am attaching a generic schematic for the DC connections which “may” be similar to your coach. If it is similar to your coach then for the converter to burn up, I suspect that your use/store was on (latching relay was closed). So then it is likely your coach batteries were either discharged or dead or not connected perhaps, which is normally where the bulk of the current would come from to operate the jack pump motor or to start your generator. Hope this helps you visualize a bit.
New batteries batteries may have been drained because coach wasn't starting at the time was dealing with a what I now know is a starter solenoid problem.
Old converter cooked batteries acid was leaking out of side.
Replaced with two deep-cycle optima blue top 27 group and one deep cycle dual purpose yellow top 27 degrees
So for converter breaker and wire sizing. The old Waco 55 amp/ 950 watt. So 950w ÷ 55amps - 17.27 amp draw
I was thinking about using a Waco 75 amp/ 1240 watt converter. 1240w ÷ 75a = 17.06 so if I did use this one I should be good I do have extensive electrical background.
The company you mentioned above only carries a 60 amp no 55. And it has two Dc negatives and two positive outputs. I'm assuming this is to charge 2 battery Banks. I'm still scared that this will cook my batteries since. It's not made especially for AMG (gel-filled). DC power in batteries are kind of my specialty. I know this converter is better than the one that came out of it. But I was still thinking about using a precision 3 Bank battery charger. that way I can disconnect all three batteries and charge/maintain them separately. And not use hydraulic for leveling jacks and slide out without engine running again. I just got this thing and I can't find paperwork on it..... I burnt something up with hydraulics. Now it's not engaging. Will make a separate post on that after I get this converter figured out. What do you think? Just buy a better converter and let it charge my thousand-dollar batteries?! Batteries can last for years with a great charger / maintainer. But the ones that were just taken out we're only a year old. And converter cooked them.