Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Stupid question?

This fits in the "how could I live this long without knowing this?" category. We've had RVs for a couple of decades and have paid the often outrageous overpriced charges for service from various places... but we have never needed body work done.

We recently had a blow out on the front wheel of our Axis 24.1. The disintegration of the tire grabbed the wiring and ripped out the headlight assembly and fog light and some of the flexible ductwork. The trim around the wheel well and entry door was also carried away. We need repairs that include the body work and we aren't sure where to get the best service. We have been extremely unimpressed with the work from the folks who sold us the rig - a windshield replacement was a nightmare.

So... do we just go to the best RV service place we can find in our area, or is there something special to be looking for when the work includes body work?

Old 05-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There are some (few and far between, and maybe not near you) MH collision centers that are experts in RV body/systems repair.

Failing that solution and not wanting to reuse your previous repair shop puts you right were you are, or where a majority of us would be in your situation.

Just do what you're doing, ask for references, investigate possible candidates, ask your RV insurance company for possibilities, etc.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Check with your insurance company.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Many independent RV service centers have body shops. Check with them or your insurance.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
So,
How was the blow out?
Tell us how bad it was and how you reacted and how the roadside service was.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:47 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of whatever repair shops are near you: but you might be able to find a highly recommended mobile repairman if the damage isn’t too bad.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:45 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
You might try calling Semi-truck body repair shops. I found one that did great work and delivered on time. The place I used was Smith Paint & Body in Malvern, AR. I would use them again but hope I don’t have to.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:03 PM   #8

State: Colorado
THOR #21466
RV Repair

Live in Colorado and use a company called Diversified Auto Body & Pai t. They only work on things like semi trucks, fire trucks, busses, etc and RV. They have always done a perfect job for us, and work well with insurance companies. Suggest a similar company in the area where you live.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:09 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
This fits in the "how could I live this long without knowing this?" category. We've had RVs for a couple of decades and have paid the often outrageous overpriced charges for service from various places... but we have never needed body work done.

We recently had a blow out on the front wheel of our Axis 24.1. The disintegration of the tire grabbed the wiring and ripped out the headlight assembly and fog light and some of the flexible ductwork. The trim around the wheel well and entry door was also carried away. We need repairs that include the body work and we aren't sure where to get the best service. We have been extremely unimpressed with the work from the folks who sold us the rig - a windshield replacement was a nightmare.

So... do we just go to the best RV service place we can find in our area, or is there something special to be looking for when the work includes body work?
I have two new headlights in original box for a 2020 25.6 Axis.