Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
When I bought my travel trailer, I purchased a Surge Guard 34830 Portable Model with LCD Display - 30 Amp.
When I traded it in on the Class C, I kept using it.
Now considering a hard wired unit. Which Progressive Industries model would y’all recommend?

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #22

State: Florida
THOR #15383
Are they available to work with both 30 and 50 amp?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 AM   #23

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The term "surge protector: is often used; when the person asking the question is actually asking about something that offers MUCH more protection.
++2++
Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #24

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
yes, do some research. Progressive Industries is the best.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 AM   #25

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Surge...p/55-2708w.htm
this one, not from this vendor but the model
Good shoice. That is a full blown EMS. Not just a surge protecter
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 AM   #26

THOR #15553
It is very hard to get a non electric type person to stop over using the term Surge Protector but I am gonna keep on trying.

A surge protector is just that and nothing more. It is designed to be a one hit wonder. It stops high voltage surges or spikes. It is a one time use device.

There is no device called a Surge Guard. That is a Company name.

EMS is the only thing worth buying. If you find yourself in a lot of low voltage situations the you can add an Hughes Auto-transformer. Installed in front of the EMS it will boost the voltage and keep the EMS from turning off the power.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 AM   #27

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Yes. I have the 50 amp wired in and a Hughes Auto former I am getting ready to hard wire also. The hard wired EMS will come with a remote display for you to see the voltages and any fault codes that happen.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #28

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Yes. I have the 50 amp wired in and a Hughes Auto former I am getting ready to hard wire also. The hard wired EMS will come with a remote display for you to see the voltages and any fault codes that happen.
Install the Hughes BEFORE the EMS. Some have installed it after not knowing how it works.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Good Old Bob.... what are we going to do with you?

We can take you anywhere. LOL

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #30

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
This one look interesting. I have the built in EMS on mine and also have the autoformer.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #31

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It is very hard to get a non electric type person to stop over using the term Surge Protector but I am gonna keep on trying.

EMS is the only thing worth buying. If you find yourself in a lot of low voltage situations the you can add an Hughes Auto-transformer. Installed in front of the EMS it will boost the voltage and keep the EMS from turning off the power.
I’m not a trained “electrical type” but have work around and with “Sparkies” for many years.
I understand the need for an EMS and see a need for a voltage booster in some cases.
I have read the data on both the Progressive Industries EMS and the Hughes Autoformer. Herein are my observations/ questions.
Both units advertise that they provide surge protection and low voltage protection. Isn’t that overkill?
The Hughes unit has a plug on the in line cord. If the intent is to hardwire both the EMS and the Autoformer, will cutting the plug off of the Autoformer possibility void it’s warrantee?
Thanks for a reply.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #32

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
I'm going to wire mine up just like in the video above, no need to cut anything on the EMS or the autoformer.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I’m not a trained “electrical type” but have work around and with “Sparkies” for many years.
I understand the need for an EMS and see a need for a voltage booster in some cases.
I have read the data on both the Progressive Industries EMS and the Hughes Autoformer. Herein are my observations/ questions.
Both units advertise that they provide surge protection and low voltage protection. Isn’t that overkill?
The Hughes unit has a plug on the in line cord. If the intent is to hardwire both the EMS and the Autoformer, will cutting the plug off of the Autoformer possibility void it’s warrantee?
Thanks for a reply.
Hughes markets an installation kit for on-board installation. The standard unit is meant sit on the ground beside the pedestal. It gets quite warm when supplying lots of amps so it should be in a ventilated compartment if on-board.

The Progressive Ins EMS looks for 10 different problems which could effect the electrical items in the coach and will shutdown the shoreline or generator (if so wired) if any of these problems are detected. It will then indicate why it removed power from the coach. In the event the error is corrected (usually by the campground), it will show the previous error and reconnect power automatically. Twice I have plugged into 30 amp receptacles that my long time friends swore were 120 volt receptacles. Both times the EMS caught the problem and would not connect power. At three different TVA campgrounds I have found an open ground on the 30 amp plug at the pedestal but the 20 amp plug was grounded. Last problem was a a national forest campground I have found the neutral and power reversed at the 30 amp receptacle. I have been doing this RV thing in a class A for more than 23 years and have lost count on the number of times I have found miss-wired pedestals. I used to check on my knees with a voltmeter, now I just assume the EMS will save my electronics. I also like the EMS' A/C power delay. In the morning, usually we do not need the roof top A/C depending only on the dash A/C. I set the A/C to - on, 75 degrees and when the coach gets hot, I just start the generator. In about 3 minutes after the generator has stabilized the A/C comes on (no need to leave the seat).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You/'re making me nervous...

... but really happy that I've got the Progressive EMS with me!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:02 AM   #35

THOR #5463
Surge protection

Hi I'm Jerry in Florida. Surge Gard is good. I took a lightning hit in a park near Tampa. The lightning melted the power plug that plugs into power post, melted one end of the Surge Gard protector and blew the Surge Gard unit. I installed a new power plug and took the Surge Gard unit back to Camping World...had the $10 extended warranty and they gave me a new one.. No issues in the RV, so I would say it "saved our bacon" so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Jerry & Diane
Thor Four-Winds 31W
Old 07-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #36

THOR #12827
The Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwired RV Surge & Electrical Protector that I ordered has arrived.
I have a good location for the main unit. What I would like to know, is where others have mounted the remote display?
I’d prefer it be inside where it can easily be seen, but not where the scrolling led display is a distraction. I don’t want to see the blinking light in a darken cabin.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #37

THOR #6411
I mounted my remote display on the hollow, outer bathroom wall, where the Thor control panel and the inverter control panel are located. The main unit is mounted between the inverter and the ATS under the bed. There is a wire chase around the back of the toilet and under the bathroom sink to the hollow wall.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #38

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I mounted my remote display on the hollow, outer bathroom wall, where the Thor control panel and the inverter control panel are located.
The control panel is a logical location, but as I had previously stated, I do not want to see a blinking red display in the cabin at night.
Maybe I’ll fabricate a smoked lexan lens over the top of the display. Then it shouldn’t be as obvious.
Thanks for your input.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #39

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
The Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwired RV Surge & Electrical Protector that I ordered has arrived.
I have a good location for the main unit. What I would like to know, is where others have mounted the remote display?
I’d prefer it be inside where it can easily be seen, but not where the scrolling led display is a distraction. I don’t want to see the blinking light in a darken cabin.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

I have the hard wired version Progressive EMS also. I mounted the main unit under the bed with the transfer switch and other electrical items close by. The remote is mounted on the side of the bed facing the hallway.....so I can read it by leaning into the coach door from outside and look down the hallway if something strange happens power wise. Blinking at night might be an issue for some but usually blankets will cover it or a piece of tape for those that have thin eyelids. The DW says her eyelids are the only thin part.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #40

THOR #6411
Quote:
The control panel is a logical location, but as I had previously stated, I do not want to see a blinking red display in the cabin at night.
Maybe I’ll fabricate a smoked lexan lens over the top of the display. Then it shouldn’t be as obvious.
Thanks for your input.
The remote display is surface mount and not flush mount, so there is little light unless looking directly at it. Both of our slides are on the driver's side with the bath, so you can not see the display. I do suppose monitor reflects of the shower door but we have night lights in both rooms so we can avoid the three cat tails when moving around at night.