Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Up in Smoke

Recently, while driving my Vegas to get tires, the cab filled with smoke, and message on Axxera radio screen said there was no connection to cameras, and nothing worked on the radio. There was no fire, but a cord that ran from radio to the switcher box was burnt up. Since I could not get any appointment with any of the nearby RV service centers, I brought the RV to Best Buy, where the tech told me the radio had to be replaced. I had a Kenwood radio installed and when I left Best Buy, the cameras would not come on, even though they were working fine before I left. Went back, the installer went over all the connections, and discovered that the switcher box had a faint burnt smell. I ordered a new one, and the Best Buy tech installed it. We ran a check with directional signals and placing gear in reverse. Cameras came on with no problem, until I drove away. I went about 50 yards, and I lost cameras again. Everything else on radio worked fine. Brought it back, the tech checked all the connections, and everything was fine, but cameras would not come on. The tech believes there may be a short within the camera themselves, which is a repair Best Buy would not due, since it is beyond a radio installation. Has anyone had this problem? I'm heading to Florida, from RI, in 10 days, so there is no way I can get an appointment at a service center, since they are scheduling 3 - 4 weeks away. Any suggestions for repair? I plan on driving without the use of cameras. I mostly rely on the mirrors anyway.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did they verify power TO the switchbox? Cameras won't work without power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #3

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Up in Smoke

Yes, besides each time they were working fine, then stopped a short drive away. Also, none of the connections were loose.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:37 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Maybe check Best Buy to see if they sell and install a new wireless camera?
Old 01-18-2023, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Yes, besides each time they were working fine, then stopped a short drive away. Also, none of the connections were loose.
Where is the video input connected to the radio? If on the AUX video input, the radio shuts that off when moving for "safety" reasons. It needs to go to the backup camera input and the trigger wire from the switchbox has to trigger the backup camera view.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:11 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
At least the rear camera probably uses an extension cable. Not sure about the side ones. But every place there's a "plug-in" is a potential failure point. If it's not plugged together tightly, it creates resistance - which equals heat and potential electrical shorting/melted wiring/fires.