Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2022, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Florida
THOR #26658
water filter cover removal

I have a 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2 diesel pusher that I purchased 2 weeks ago. 1st RV! I want to sanitize the onboard water tank as I do not know how long the water's been in there. I cannot get the blue cover off that encloses the filter. No room for the supplied removal tool to move in either direction. I'm going to try and find an oil filter removal tool that fits it that is driven by a socket wrench. Any other suggestions?
Thank you

Old 05-02-2022, 02:27 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
1. Pictures?
2. I assume the pump is off
3. Hard to believe no room for the tool

I never use my tool as I tighten and unscrew by hand.

You may have all types of scale buildup? I would consider a new one. Replace the whole thing.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:47 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Good luck getting it off, but I suggest not torquing it so tightly when replacing... FIRM hand tightening is all that's needed.

Maybe try running cold water through the plumbing, then use a hair dryer on high setting to heat the thread area? Might make it expand a little to loosen it? I use that heat trick on jar lids.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorick View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2 diesel pusher that I purchased 2 weeks ago. 1st RV! I want to sanitize the onboard water tank as I do not know how long the water's been in there. I cannot get the blue cover off that encloses the filter. No room for the supplied removal tool to move in either direction. I'm going to try and find an oil filter removal tool that fits it that is driven by a socket wrench. Any other suggestions?
Thank you
Tilt the filter housing enough to get the wrench on the bottom

How long has the RV been setting with water in the tank?

Replacement might be the best option as noted
Old 05-03-2022, 01:09 AM   #5

THOR #26658
probably been sitting a while. The filter has no bypass lever so I'll probably end up replacing the existing filter assy with one that has a bypass.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2022, 01:12 AM   #6

THOR #26658
Thanks for the suggestion. Just got the Palazzo about 3 weeks ago. I need to drain the water tank, sanitize and do a couple of flushes, after I replace the filter assy with a newer style that has a bypass lever.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:15 AM   #7

THOR #26658
I'm just getting into the water area and plan to drain, sanitize and rinse several times after upgrading the water filter with one that has a bypass lever
Old 05-03-2022, 02:50 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Can I ask what is the purpose or your intent for the bypass level?

Mine does not have filter bypass either, I can't think of why one would ever use water that was NOT filtered in a RV? It is not like you gonna water the lawn at the camp site? Filters are very cheap.

One other thing to try is spray that Penetrating Blaster spray around the perimeter of the seal. Wait an hour and try again, if it does not come off spray again and repeat. I guarantee it will eventually break free without too much effort. You may be able to clean it up in house sink or dishwasher.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #9

THOR #26658
I use the bypass valve when I change the filter. That way the water supply isn't shut off while I fight with getting the filter cover off. Also, the filter cover gets a buildup on the inside so I like to clean that out at filter change time. And, I wanted to sanitize the fresh water system. At he time I couldn't get the filter cover off and didn't want the bleach going thru the filter. Thank you
Old 05-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
I use the bypass valve when I change the filter. That way the water supply isn't shut off while I fight with getting the filter cover off. Also, the filter cover gets a buildup on the inside so I like to clean that out at filter change time. And, I wanted to sanitize the fresh water system. At he time I couldn't get the filter cover off and didn't want the bleach going thru the filter. Thank you
Great idea to isolate the filter and prevent having to drain the whole plumbing system!
Old 05-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can I ask what is the purpose or your intent for the bypass level?

Mine does not have filter bypass either, I can't think of why one would ever use water that was NOT filtered in a RV? It is not like you gonna water the lawn at the camp site? Filters are very cheap.

One other thing to try is spray that Penetrating Blaster spray around the perimeter of the seal. Wait an hour and try again, if it does not come off spray again and repeat. I guarantee it will eventually break free without too much effort. You may be able to clean it up in house sink or dishwasher.
PB Blaster would be a very good way to ruin the rubber gasket & depending on the type of plastic the filter housing is made of could soften the plastic.
The filters I've had you used the wrench to remove the bottom of the canister not the top, not sure what yours looks like.
When/if you get it loose, when reinstalling up a small dab of plumbers grease (NOT Vaseline), found at any hardware store, smeared on the threads & o ring & hand tighten only.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If you want to keep it, use plumbers grease on the seal. I bypassed it. I managed to get mine off, but what a bugger. It did not matter, the previous owner removed and did not replace the the filter. Behind that plastic fiber wall I bypassed it and installed a there stage filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Filter.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	37325
Old 05-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #13

THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
PB Blaster would be a very good way to ruin the rubber gasket & depending on the type of plastic the filter housing is made of could soften the plastic.
The filters I've had you used the wrench to remove the bottom of the canister not the top, not sure what yours looks like.
When/if you get it loose, when reinstalling up a small dab of plumbers grease (NOT Vaseline), found at any hardware store, smeared on the threads & o ring & hand tighten only.
Food grade silicone lubricant works well also

Keep PB away from any rubber or for that matter potable equipment

Getting the wrench tight against the grooves and the filter top secured, a bump on the handle with a dead blow hammer easily breaks the canister loose
Old 05-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
You may not have followed the entire thread.

Suggestion to use PB blaster was at the point OP was about to completely replace!!! It was a hey... one more thing to try just to see how you may get it off before breaking it off for.

My Canister wrench is at the bottom too, I said earlier I never use the tool because I always can remove mine by hand.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Ok, I never thought that having water on while changing filter would be a need? Takes me 2 min max to change out the filter and if I am sanitizing I am not going to be using any water until I finish.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:11 PM   #16

THOR #9178
I like the bypas filters for home use as the filter is in the basement

Otherwise in the Tuscany rwo changes max per year

No need for the bypass

But whatever works
Old 05-06-2022, 09:56 PM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You may not have followed the entire thread.

Suggestion to use PB blaster was at the point OP was about to completely replace!!! It was a hey... one more thing to try just to see how you may get it off before breaking it off for.

My Canister wrench is at the bottom too, I said earlier I never use the tool because I always can remove mine by hand.
The warning about using PB Blaster on ANY rubber or plastic was not necessarily directed at you imparticulary but to ANYONE/EVERYONE reading this thread.
DO NOT use any petroleum based product on anything rubber!!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
The warning about using PB Blaster on ANY rubber or plastic was not necessarily directed at you imparticulary but to ANYONE/EVERYONE reading this thread.
DO NOT use any petroleum based product on anything rubber!!!
Agreed 👍

But if you got something to throw away and it is handy I just used a grinding tool to cut the bolts to get my pet pal dog leash off my RV. I had hit a cone, ran over it and it bent the crap out of it. Tried my PB Blaster but nut and bolts start to spin. It is history now , dealer wanted $145 to remove.

FWIW,we don't have pets if I did I doubt I would tie the dog up to the RV

I always say quality is fitness for use.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #19

THOR #3538
Water filter

I removed my filter and installed a nipple to complete the system. Then I bought a double filter built a stand for it it sets outside easy to change filters unhook it put it away. Plus I bought a softener hard water and pecan do not get along. Plus a shower with soft water is really nice. Winterizing no issues with nothing to trap water. Easy peasy
Old 05-12-2022, 12:48 AM   #20

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
the filter should lift up and then pull towards the door. the tool should then fit on the bottom but you will only get 1/4/to 1/2 inch movement at a time - why some idiot thought putting the filter on the wall sandwiched between the tank is beyond me. when I replace the floor that bugger is moving to the other side by the water inlet.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote