Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Water pump

I have a Shurflo 4008 water pump and I was winterizing using the pump and it stopped pumping. The pump runs but doesn't pump. I was able to fill everything with antifreeze except the outside shower. I bought a new pump and will install it tomorrow to finish the job. I want to rebuild the old one but I don't know which part is stopping it from pumping. there is the front section called the upper section, the middle part is called the valve assembly and the part by the motor is called the 2.5° Drive Assembly. the complete kit is called the pump head. Has anyone done this before? I don't like throwing things away if they can be repaired

Old 10-19-2021, 11:47 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Youtube
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:31 AM   #3

THOR #20274
Thanks, I'm putting in the new one in the morning and taking the old one apart. YouTube shows it might be a stuck valve or a piece of debris in the pump. It has the strainer before the pump and it was clean. It has a 12 gauge wire going to the pump so I could have maybe gone with a high volume pump instead
Old 10-20-2021, 02:40 AM   #4

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
I am not sure what model pump I have but opened mine up and their was bits of plastic in there, cleaned it all out and put it back together. works fine now.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
It’s EZ to take these pumps apart and replace the diaphragm
Usually, the motor is fine.

Here’s the part to fix the 4008:

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-80...96334197&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4C93595-552F-448F-A065-2A719CB9F490.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	34408  
Old 10-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

THOR #20274
I'm going out this morning and turning on the pump and see if it was a stuck valve. The pump runs and the antifreeze jumps up a few inches and goes back down the hose to the pump. It's like it wants to pump but can't. I had a Jayco just over a year ago, I was staying at a state campground and turned on the pump it ran but no water. I went into the back compartment behind a panel back in a corner I could barely reach and removed the pump and took it to the dealer. The dealer gave me a new pump under warranty. Got back to the campground climbed into the rear compartment (I'm only 280 lbs) tight fit. It worked till I got the new motorhome. At least I fixed everything for the new owner
Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Water pump

I was getting very poor water pressure from the pump and took in to my local RV dealer and the tech tested the pump by bypassing the pipe from the fresh water tank and removing all of the pex pipe including the shut off valve and found all kinds of debris in the lines, blew them out with air and then water and reinstalled and the difference in the pressure was amazing. BTW there was nothing in the strainer backed just in the pipes.
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 10-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #8

THOR #20274
I have scoped my fresh water tank and it's clean and there is only 2 feet of pex from the tank to the pump. I have a hose within 3 inches of the pump going directly into a gallon of antifreeze. One gallon got all the fixtures. I got some red out of my outside shower but I'm going to pump a little more through there. When I'm done I'll blow all the antifreeze out of the lines and leave the fixtures open. I've done this for 40 years. You can't freeze something that's not there. If by chance there is a pocket of antifreeze somewhere it can't hurt anything
Old 10-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #9

THOR #20274
All fixed with the new pump. The old pump the valve was sticking so I think I freed it up so I have a spare now. Thanks everyone for you suggestions
Old 10-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
All fixed with the new pump. The old pump the valve was sticking so I think I freed it up so I have a spare now. Thanks everyone for you suggestions
Good news. Thx for the knowledge and update..my strainer was bad once ..you can bypass in an emergency
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote