Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #28631
Odd Question to kick off 2023 winterization (In August!)

This thread is fantastic! Love it! Any chance all of you can help me in a really unique situation?

I realize it is still August, but my coach was winterized at Thor's factory last November. Long story short, my coach has had a lot of problems. In April, Thor's own technician came to look at an electrical issue that has kept my coach unusable for over a year now. None of that is relevant to my question, but I merely bring it up because my coach was winterized in Wakarusa last fall. It was returned to me on January 2nd, with the fresh water tank 67% full.

When Thor's own inspector flew into town to verify other concerns in April, he accidentally touched the water pump button. (It wasn't his fault... the screen was glitching and unreadable.) However, without that mistake, we wouldn't have known that the hose line to the fridge had burst. In short, the winterization wasn't done properly, and there was a water leak from the line going to the fridge. Apparently, that is a massive problem. (This is from Thor's own technician.)

That was a long time ago. My question going forward: Does anyone knowledgable know what I should do going into the winter? All the water probably should have been drained (obviously) in Wakarusa when they winterized it, but should I find a way to drain 60 gallons now on my own? Or has the damage been done and I leave it as is? I'm just not sure what I'm missing, and I'm not being facetious. Thor and I simply don't agree on a lot of things (it's getting kind of ugly, unfortunately), and I'm merely trying to do whatever I can to keep any further disagreements from happening.

So... If my coach was winterized with 60 gallons of water in the fresh water tank, do I just drain the tank for next winter (presuming it remains winterized), or am I in a mess of somehow needing to do more? The coach has been unusable for over a year, so I'm just at a loss at what I can best do to keep all problems from getting worse. Everyone agrees that you shouldn't winterize with a full tank... but if they already did that... what do you do now?

Thanks for any and all input on what is likely a unique situation. Much appreciated.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:26 PM   #182
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovis View Post
This thread is fantastic! Love it! Any chance all of you can help me in a really unique situation?

I realize it is still August, but my coach was winterized at Thor's factory last November. Long story short, my coach has had a lot of problems. In April, Thor's own technician came to look at an electrical issue that has kept my coach unusable for over a year now. None of that is relevant to my question, but I merely bring it up because my coach was winterized in Wakarusa last fall. It was returned to me on January 2nd, with the fresh water tank 67% full.

When Thor's own inspector flew into town to verify other concerns in April, he accidentally touched the water pump button. (It wasn't his fault... the screen was glitching and unreadable.) However, without that mistake, we wouldn't have known that the hose line to the fridge had burst. In short, the winterization wasn't done properly, and there was a water leak from the line going to the fridge. Apparently, that is a massive problem. (This is from Thor's own technician.)

That was a long time ago. My question going forward: Does anyone knowledgable know what I should do going into the winter? All the water probably should have been drained (obviously) in Wakarusa when they winterized it, but should I find a way to drain 60 gallons now on my own? Or has the damage been done and I leave it as is? I'm just not sure what I'm missing, and I'm not being facetious. Thor and I simply don't agree on a lot of things (it's getting kind of ugly, unfortunately), and I'm merely trying to do whatever I can to keep any further disagreements from happening.

So... If my coach was winterized with 60 gallons of water in the fresh water tank, do I just drain the tank for next winter (presuming it remains winterized), or am I in a mess of somehow needing to do more? The coach has been unusable for over a year, so I'm just at a loss at what I can best do to keep all problems from getting worse. Everyone agrees that you shouldn't winterize with a full tank... but if they already did that... what do you do now?

Thanks for any and all input on what is likely a unique situation. Much appreciated.
Drain and re-wineterize. If the pump was run there is water in the lines. Also before using the coach sanitize the system, especially if the water has been in the system for an extended period of time.

Was the fresh water tank drained before it went into factory service?
Old 08-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #183

THOR #28631
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Drain and re-wineterize. If the pump was run there is water in the lines. Also before using the coach sanitize the system, especially if the water has been in the system for an extended period of time.

Was the fresh water tank drained before it went into factory service?
Thanks EA37TS. I won't be using it. It is still completely unusable. I'm not trying to get the tanks usable, I'm just trying to minimize further damage already done when the winterization was done improperly in Wakarusa last year. Not trying to rehash another thread, but I am hesitant to touch anything, unless it is obvious to simply keep further damage from happening. I guess that is why I'm asking now, to give me plenty of time before winter. (The whole situation is a mess, to be sure. The improper winterization is just the icing on the cake.)

The fresh water tank was NOT drained before it went into factory service. Never occurred to me. Thor agreed, among several other things, that "the timeframe shall not exceed 45 days." That was last August. Winterization wasn't even "on the table," but when Thor failed to do any of their assurances, and winter came (well past 45 days) I requested to be sure they winterize once the weather turned. I believe they winterized it, but they obviously never drained the water. When Thor sent it back, the tank was 67% full. That is probably what it was when Thor picked it up. I suspect the problem is that they winterized it without draining the tank, so now I'm left to wonder what to do another winter later, when it has been nothing but a paperweight and sitting in storage.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:20 PM   #184
Site Team

THOR #1469
Surprising. When my rig went to factory service for one week they required all tanks be drained and they checked before accepting the rig for service.

The fridge ICD maker valves are usually the first thing to freeze if not winterized correctly. Just shut off the valve to the ice maker and you should be good to go.

Replacing the valve will be a different story depending on the rig and fridge installation. Here’s the link for my screw up thread a few years ago.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...w-up-3717.html
Old 08-14-2023, 11:12 PM   #185

THOR #28631
Quote:
Surprising. When my rig went to factory service for one week they required all tanks be drained and they checked before accepting the rig for service.

The fridge ICD maker valves are usually the first thing to freeze if not winterized correctly. Just shut off the valve to the ice maker and you should be good to go.

Replacing the valve will be a different story depending on the rig and fridge installation. Here’s the link for my screw up thread a few years ago.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...w-up-3717.html
Thanks EA37TS. I always appreciate anyone that has the humility to post a thread like that. Well done!

There is a whole separate thread about a rather unique situation I am in. No need to rehash it here. It would make sense for Thor to ask to have all the tanks emptied before they picked it up to take it back to the factory. I did the black and grey tanks myself, for obvious reasons, but the freshwater tank never came up from either myself or Thor. Of course, they first picked it up a year ago and agreed that the timeframe for their fix would not exceed 45 days, so I don't think winterization was on anyones radar. But again, that is all a separate issue.

You definitely helped clear it up, though. Obviously, there is still water in the lines and will continue to be a problem if it goes a second winter as it is. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-19-2023, 02:34 PM   #186

Brand: Crossroads
State: Tennessee
THOR #29874
Winterize vegas

I need specifics on winterizing vegas 2021 24.3. Seems I hook up antifreeze outside. Can get to water heater ok. Not sure about pump.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #187
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingo View Post
I need specifics on winterizing vegas 2021 24.3. Seems I hook up antifreeze outside. Can get to water heater ok. Not sure about pump.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:42 AM   #188

State: Massachusetts
THOR #30901
What should tire pressure be during winter storage? I’ve read air should be let out but it doesn’t say how much?
Old 10-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #189
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiemae View Post
What should tire pressure be during winter storage? I’ve read air should be let out but it doesn’t say how much?
Where did you read that?

The cold will already reduce tire pressure.

Lower tire pressure means the bottom of the tire remains in a "non-round" condition for months at a time - that can't be good for the tires.

Most "storage experts" say to remove the weight of the vehicle off the tires when storing the vehicle - If you do that them maybe lower pressure may be the right answer.

But otherwise, I'd say inflating the tires to max sidewall pressure for winter storage is probably the right answer.

But what do I know? I live in Florida and never store/winterize my RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:04 PM   #190

Model: Magnitude
State: Texas
THOR #31030
Winterize Ice Maker??

I too am using air to blow the water lines clear for the winter. (Thor Magnitude ) This process worked great to 15F, but I found a vulnerable spot at the ice maker control valve behind the fridge.
Does anyone else have an ice maker as part of the fridge? I'm still trying to figure a way to drain and winterize this spot, but need some new ideas!
The control valve sits behind the fridge at the very bottom. The 1/4" tubing feeding to it comes from under my stovetop from a water valve. I see no way of getting the icemaker valve open to drain it....
Needless to say, it exploded this winter, so I have isolated at this point.... Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000010142.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	45040  
Old 02-04-2024, 10:49 PM   #191

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSAN View Post
I too am using air to blow the water lines clear for the winter. (Thor Magnitude ) This process worked great to 15F, but I found a vulnerable spot at the ice maker control valve behind the fridge.
Does anyone else have an ice maker as part of the fridge? I'm still trying to figure a way to drain and winterize this spot, but need some new ideas!
The control valve sits behind the fridge at the very bottom. The 1/4" tubing feeding to it comes from under my stovetop from a water valve. I see no way of getting the icemaker valve open to drain it....
Needless to say, it exploded this winter, so I have isolated at this point.... Ideas?

My 30 year tech winterizes rigs for his customers.
I have seen 30 to 40 ft in his shop & all get pink stuff.
He claims no issues
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:23 PM   #192
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSAN View Post
Two methods.

1. If blowing out with air, keep the compressor connected until the ice maker cycles at least twice.

2. If using antifreeze, keep pressurized antifreeze in the system until the ice maker makes pink cubes.

I have used both methods and never had problems at temps as low as 15 below.

Both methods take time.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:52 PM   #193

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Two methods.

1. If blowing out with air, keep the compressor connected until the ice maker cycles at least twice.

2. If using antifreeze, keep pressurized antifreeze in the system until the ice maker makes pink cubes.

I have used both methods and never had problems at temps as low as 15 below.

Both methods take time.
Minus 15 to minus 32 in montana our left over water in pump strainer froze. Kurt our 30 year tech begged me to use pink stuff
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:28 PM   #194

Model: vegas 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #31273
winterizing vedas 24.1

I just drive mine to far south Texas(Brownsville) works for me.