Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Jamie, Nice job! Well done.

I have a 2017 Vegas which has a slightly different setup.

I start the project by first blowing out the lines with low pressure air (~30psi) until all outlets blow free. My unit has the "instant" hot water heater with many many small little tubes so I like to get out as much water as possible out of that unit. As far as I know it doesn't have a bypass feature nor would I use it if it did since it holds so little antifreeze.

If its just a few nights slightly below freezing and I still have some camping to do (we love off season camping) Thats all I do until I'm ready to do the final put up for winter and then I pump the antifreeze through it.

PS don't forget to do your outside shower if you have one!!

Old 08-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #142

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
I use antifreeze in the drains only - I prefer to connect my air compressor and blow the lines clean of water. I know that antifreeze is supposed to be non toxic, but, I know air is!!!!
Hi I like the air solution. So drain everything blow air and just pour Rv fluid down all drains (keeps it from main water tank etc) ???
Old 08-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #143

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Jamie, Nice job! Well done.

I have a 2017 Vegas which has a slightly different setup.

I start the project by first blowing out the lines with low pressure air (~30psi) until all outlets blow free. My unit has the "instant" hot water heater with many many small little tubes so I like to get out as much water as possible out of that unit. As far as I know it doesn't have a bypass feature nor would I use it if it did since it holds so little antifreeze.

If its just a few nights slightly below freezing and I still have some camping to do (we love off season camping) Thats all I do until I'm ready to do the final put up for winter and then I pump the antifreeze through it.

PS don't forget to do your outside shower if you have one!!
can i just drain the water and blow out all lines? Do not like anti freeze in the water? do you use a cover and anything under the tires?
Old 08-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #144

THOR #6513
Scubawise,

Don't know what unit you have but if you have PEX piping a air blow is quite sufficient but it does require a careful understanding approach.

If you have an older unit with Non-PEX pipe best to air Blow then use the non-toxic RV antifreeze to be on the safe-side.

If you have the on-demand water heater like I do don't take a chance. Use the RV antifreeze.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #145

THOR #20220
Hi I am getting a 2020 thor vegas tankless water heater. So with water heater. Use non toxic Rv solution because water still in lines after blowing?
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #146

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi I am getting a 2020 thor vegas tankless water heater. So with water heater. Use non toxic Rv solution because water still in lines after blowing?

Scubawise these "tankless" units are a whole new approach to heating water. Open the door and look at all of the really small copper tubing. I feel like just not taking. a chance. If one of those small tubes splits, its your fault for not winterizing it properly, and you are out $1000+ dollars.

I just play it safe. On my unit by blowing out the water first when I pump the pink thru I know Ive covered the job evenly. Even if you don't blow it out first you are only talking about 2 gallons max. Also you are using your pump and that protects it from freezing. Some people forget about the pump when using air only only to find out the pump froze and damaged it.

PS buy your antifreeze off season and you will probably save some $$. At Walmart right now the store brand is only $2.58 gallon. Buy extra. Cheap insurance, not to mention peace of mind when you are watching the 11PM weather report and they say "unexpected freeze tonight. 5 degrees". Do it right and you can go to sleep at peace (ask me how I know)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #147

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Scubawise these "tankless" units are a whole new approach to heating water. Open the door and look at all of the really small copper tubing. I feel like just not taking. a chance. If one of those small tubes splits, its your fault for not winterizing it properly, and you are out $1000+ dollars.

I just play it safe. On my unit by blowing out the water first when I pump the pink thru I know Ive covered the job evenly. Even if you don't blow it out first you are only talking about 2 gallons max. Also you are using your pump and that protects it from freezing. Some people forget about the pump when using air only only to find out the pump froze and damaged it.

PS buy your antifreeze off season and you will probably save some $$. At Walmart right now the store brand is only $2.58 gallon. Buy extra. Cheap insurance, not to mention peace of mind when you are watching the 11PM weather report and they say "unexpected freeze tonight. 5 degrees". Do it right and you can go to sleep at peace (ask me how I know)
When using air to blow out your water lines make sure you ALWAYS have at least one faucet open to prevent pressure build up in the water lines. Also don’t forget to use antifreeze in your water pump.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #148

THOR #20220
Thanks excellent advice ..Scubawise in Montana
Old 08-25-2020, 01:27 AM   #149

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
When using air to blow out your water lines make sure you ALWAYS have at least one faucet open to prevent pressure build up in the water lines. Also don’t forget to use antifreeze in your water pump.

I just set my pressure regulator to 30 PSI and do one faucet at a time. Letting it build up to 30 psi then opening a faucet helps blow out the low spots.Double ditto on water pump.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #150

THOR #20220
Thx JoeDS
Old 08-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #151

THOR #20220
Hi JoeDS. We live in Montana low winter humidity but goes down to negative 20. Do we cover the thor vegas?
Old 08-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #152
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Hi JoeDS. We live in Montana low winter humidity but goes down to negative 20. Do we cover the thor vegas?
You can cover or not. Some people advise against it because the wind can and does whip the cover around rubbing against the coach (mostly the corners) and can mar the finish.

I've covered our Axis in the winter since its first season without any issues. Have to make sure the cover is on pretty good. I also visit it (ours is in a storage lot) quite frequently to make sure nothing is wrong and run the engine and genny (I run the V10 at about 1500 rpm until the thermostat opens about 20-30 minutes. For the generator I run it at the same time and sometimes use either a hair dryer or the convection oven to put a load on it.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	axiscovered.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	25773
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #153

THOR #6513
Quote:
You really should. Letting snow sit on the roof and melting slowly is a surefire way to allow some of it to get in the coach somewhere. The first best approach is to park it under a roof or better yet inside a building. The second best approach is a full cover with a water shedding roof membrane.

Low humidity is a plus. Lo temperature doesn't in itself matter as long as there is no water penetration that can freeze and cause damage.

Im blessed to have an old barn at my house and thats were it goes after every trip.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #154

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You can cover or not. Some people advise against it because the wind can and does whip the cover around rubbing against the coach (mostly the corners) and can mar the finish.

I've covered our Axis in the winter since its first season without any issues. Have to make sure the cover is on pretty good. I also visit it (ours is in a storage lot) quite frequently to make sure nothing is wrong and run the engine and genny (I run the V10 at about 1500 rpm until the thermostat opens about 20-30 minutes. For the generator I run it at the same time and sometimes use either a hair dryer or the convection oven to put a load on it.)
Attachment 25773
Good advice. I do that routinely myself.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #155

THOR #20220
Hi where do we order covers for these?

Thanks Scubawise in montana ��
Old 08-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #156
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Hi where do we order covers for these?

Thanks Scubawise in montana ��
Camping world, amazon, etc.

Keep in mind that an Axis/Vegas unit is closer in size to a Class-C RV than a Class-A. The one in my picture is a Class-C cover similar to this one (Amazon).
Old 08-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #157

THOR #20220
I am getting the 2020 vegas 25.6 not sure if the Amazon 23 ft 26 ft or the next size is too big which is 29 to 32 feet?
Old 08-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #158
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I am getting the 2020 vegas 25.6 not sure if the Amazon 23 ft 26 ft or the next size is too big which is 29 to 32 feet?
Yeah get the one that is long enough for your RV (ours is ~25ft long).

If you haven't already you may want to download Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owner's manual found here:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

Much of what we have discussed here is in there (and more).
Old 08-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #159

THOR #20220
question the thor vegas has 2 rear tires how do you level 2 rear tires if the ground is not level ..in other words putting blocks under the outer rear tire does not sound safe with the inner rear tire down?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:53 AM   #160
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
question the thor vegas has 2 rear tires how do you level 2 rear tires if the ground is not level ..in other words putting blocks under the outer rear tire does not sound safe with the inner rear tire down?
Double wide blocks (Amazon).