Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #23350
flat tow totally confused

Ok I an engineer and mechanic. I just sold my F150 4x4 auto because it is, in my opinion, too heavy for my Thor 28z. I am looking for a ford ranger to tow. So....
1. There is a lot of info but nothing conclusive. Im looking older say 2005 to 2013.
2. I have read 4x4 needs "neutral towing kit" for transfer case. But kit is basically and LED light and some programming. Im not sure the electronic transfer cases have neutral???
3. I always thought you just put a manual in neutral and go. My dad did for years with a ranger no problem.
4. Ford says even with manual there is a 55mph limit. Where can you go long distance and not need to go at least 70?
5. So has anyone pulled a 2005 thru 2013 ford ranger, manual or automatic, 2x or 4x without issues?

Old 08-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Cannot answer your question however the electronic transfer cases have neutral per certain years

My F150 weighs a bit over 5k and tows easily
Old 08-30-2021, 01:02 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Can’t speak to what Ford has for a transfer case, but we tow a 2019 GMC Canyon 4x4 that does have an electronic transfer case behind our 30FE. It’s a simple procedure to put the transfer case in neutral.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:19 AM   #4

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
I suggest that you look up the owners manual for the vehicle you are considering, and check the section on 'towing'.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsy64 View Post
Ok I an engineer and mechanic. I just sold my F150 4x4 auto because it is, in my opinion, too heavy for my Thor 28z. I am looking for a ford ranger to tow. So....
1. There is a lot of info but nothing conclusive. Im looking older say 2005 to 2013.
2. I have read 4x4 needs "neutral towing kit" for transfer case. But kit is basically and LED light and some programming. Im not sure the electronic transfer cases have neutral???
3. I always thought you just put a manual in neutral and go. My dad did for years with a ranger no problem.
4. Ford says even with manual there is a 55mph limit. Where can you go long distance and not need to go at least 70?
5. So has anyone pulled a 2005 thru 2013 ford ranger, manual or automatic, 2x or 4x without issues?
The last year of the Ford Ranger production was 2011.
Manual transmissions can be towed up to 55 MPH with 4WD models in 2WD mode.
Automatic 2WD cannot be towed.
Automatic 4WD can be towed with the "neutral tow kit" which allows you to put the transfer case in neutral for towing.

But it sounds like you knew all that. Towing speed limitations are based on transmission lubrication and heat dissipation when the tail shaft is rotating but the input shaft is not.

If you have any questions about towing a specific vehicle, search for it's Owners Manual and see what it says about Recreational Vehicle towing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Suggest you check Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide for autos you can tow. When you search, specify a year. The ultimate guide is the owner's manual.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #7
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I own and tow a 2021 4X4 Ford ranger with a 28Z. No problems. All 2019 to today Ford Ranger 4X4's are 4 wheel towable.
If you are not in a hurry. Look into the All new ford Maverick. It's a little smaller overall (bigger inside though) so it should also be lighter.
They are now on a preorder list only due the chip shortages but one model IS 4 wheels down towable. The 2.5 liter Hybrid version.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/
Old 08-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #8

THOR #23350
Ok doing more digging this is what I found..
1. The transfer case in a push button 4x4 ford does have a neutral position.
2. Ford dealer service department will NOT program the computer to allow a 4x4 transfer case shift to neutral.
3. Nothing I know to do if they wont change program.. probably liability issues.
4. Ford says 4x4 and 4x2 manual both can be towed. Just dont go over 55mph.
5. I asked the technician about that he said "probably same reason Uhaul trailers have a sticker to not go over 45mph....

So I'm going to find a manual in 4x4 or 4x2, put in neutral, tow it and not worry about it. Way too many conflicting opinions...
Old 08-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
2. Ford dealer service department will NOT program the computer to allow a 4x4 transfer case shift to neutral.
3. Nothing I know to do if they wont change program.. probably liability issues.
5. I asked the technician about that he said "probably same reason Uhaul trailers have a sticker to not go over 45mph....

So I'm going to find a manual in 4x4 or 4x2, put in neutral, tow it and not worry about it. Way too many conflicting opinions...
What conflicting opinion? The mechanic who is not an engineer and gives you a guess about the 55 MPH limit?
The Ford engineers set that limit to prevent damage to the transmission.
Same reason GM engineers set the limit to 65 MPH on some automatic transmissions.
Same reason there is no limit on other flat towable Ford and GM products.

As you have been told, what it says in the Owners Manual is the bible, not what some salesman, mechanic, service manager, or magazine says. If you don't like the 55 MPH limit get a 2WD and a driveshaft disconnect kit. There is no speed towing limit on the rear end.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:

You can do what you want, BUT. I sold my F150 4x2 due to it NOT being able to be 4 wheels down towed. Here is it straight from the owners manual for a 2021 F150.

RECREATIONALLY TOWING
YOUR VEHICLE - 4X2
You cannot recreational tow your vehicle
with all wheels on the ground because
vehicle or transmission damage could
occur. You must recreational tow your
vehicle with all four wheels off the ground,
such as when using a car-hauling trailer.
Otherwise, you cannot recreational tow
your vehicle
See page 445 using link below.
https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/
Old 09-01-2021, 03:40 AM   #11

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
You can do what you want, BUT. I sold my F150 4x2 due to it NOT being able to be 4 wheels down towed. Here is it straight from the owners manual for a 2021 F150.

RECREATIONALLY TOWING
YOUR VEHICLE - 4X2
your vehicle

yep 2 wheel drive f150s are not float towable. not to pick, but i would have looked at that prior to purchase, i
Old 09-01-2021, 04:06 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post

RECREATIONALLY TOWING
YOUR VEHICLE - 4X2
your vehicle
He's looking at old Rangers, not new F150s.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:46 AM   #13

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Take a look at the soon to arrive Ford Maverick pickup.
It's going to be about the same size as the original Ranger.

If optioned lightly the XL hybrid will be about 20k$ out the door, flat towable at any speed.
A lightly optioned Lariat (top of the line up) hybrid will be 25k$.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #14

THOR #23350
Ok I found a nice 2009 Ranger 4 cylinder with a full fiberglass cap and only 71,000 miles. I had looked at it several times online but didnt notice the tow bar hookup in the front already there for Blue Ox and its wired as well for towing. I am getting the blue ox patriot brake unit and tow bar.

Now reason for why I am confused and frustrated. I looked at the diagrams for the Mazda M50D-R1 5 speed manual and the counter shaft rotates with the driveshaft and transmission in neutral. This should be sufficient to fling lube everywhere.
Also I have a 1977 MGB that I am restoring. Asked on the MGB forum about flat towing this manual car and half the replies are "NO never do it, will ruin your transmission" and the other half are "NO worries have towed mine many thousands of miles with no issues at all".... so I enjoy looking at forums and discussing topic but realize it is really hard to get a straight answer.
Yes I did read Ford owners manual about recreational towing. And they do say 55 mph max. Not sure I believe that and not sure if OK at 55 why not at 65?? will find out.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #15
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Ok I found a nice 2009 Ranger 4 cylinder with a full fiberglass cap and only 71,000 miles. I had looked at it several times online but didnt notice the tow bar hookup in the front already there for Blue Ox and its wired as well for towing. I am getting the blue ox patriot brake unit and tow bar.

Now reason for why I am confused and frustrated. I looked at the diagrams for the Mazda M50D-R1 5 speed manual and the counter shaft rotates with the driveshaft and transmission in neutral. This should be sufficient to fling lube everywhere.
Also I have a 1977 MGB that I am restoring. Asked on the MGB forum about flat towing this manual car and half the replies are "NO never do it, will ruin your transmission" and the other half are "NO worries have towed mine many thousands of miles with no issues at all".... so I enjoy looking at forums and discussing topic but realize it is really hard to get a straight answer.
Yes I did read Ford owners manual about recreational towing. And they do say 55 mph max. Not sure I believe that and not sure if OK at 55 why not at 65?? will find out.
Ford Manual quote: "The maximum recommended speed is 55 mph"

I would guess since they state (recommended) is more of a safety issue and not a mechanical. Maybe to make sure you have better control of vehicle, not to go to fast.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #16

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #22093
Quote:

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 that I tow behind my Thor Outlaw 38MB with no issues. Easy procedure outlined in the owners manual.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:42 AM   #17

State: Louisiana
THOR #24631
Any idea how a F150 would do behind the 2021 Vegas 27.7?
Old 09-07-2021, 02:09 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Any idea how a F150 would do behind the 2021 Vegas 27.7?
Not well. The 27.7 has a gross weight of 14,500 and gross combined weight of 18,000 lbs. With a curb weight of 4,000 to 4,500 lbs. the F-150 is a little heavy unless you travel with both empty.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:22 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:

Yes, I pulled a 2009 four banger with manual transmission. It was a well behaved as a toad but road like a chariot when driven. Towed it for a couple of years with zero problems. I don't recall a 55 MPH speed recommendation from the owners manual.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:33 AM   #20

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Uhaul says don't drive their trucks over 65mph.
Not much reason for it other than liability.
Some states limit towed things to 55mph.
My guess, from a practical guess, is the 55mph is an arbitrary number related to towing llaws.

They'll never tell you the why of it.
Personally, if They can't tell me why I have to assume it is solely to stack the deck.

If you take reality into account:
The towed vehicle drivetrain doesn't know mph. It only knows rpm.
IF they offer 1:3.73 drive ratios and 1:4.10 drive ratios and 1:3.08 drive ratios
Then
55mph doesn't fit all three as far as rpm goes.
55mph isn't an ideal.
It can't be an absolute delineator for all ratios because the drivetrain rpm is very different.
And
Recommendations aren't laws or contractual agreements.
If 55mph was an absolute the manual would say:
DO NOT EXCEED. WARRANTY VOIDS.

The truth is:
It'll tow as fast as it will drive when you put the drivetrain
in full neutral as the manual instructs.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote