Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
[QUOTE=Mousemate;343028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
2022 guide was published as part of the January 2022 Family RVing Magazine, as is customary every January.

I am glad they published a guide again.
Back in October (when I purchased my new encore) you had to dig thru all the owners manuals to figure out what was towable....
FMCA publishes the guide as part of the January issue of Family RVing every year. There is no again to it. You must be an FMCA member to get the magazine and towable guides from them.

I did shoot FMCA a message asking why the 2022 guide was not posted in the towable guides section of the their website and app. They are looking into the issue.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
[QUOTE=EA37TS;343035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post

FMCA publishes the guide as part of the January issue of Family RVing every year. There is no again to it. You must be an FMCA member to get the magazine and towable guides from them.

I did shoot FMCA a message asking why the 2022 guide was not posted in the towable guides section of the their website and app. They are looking into the issue.
Update,

FMCA was surprised this problem had not been discovered sooner. The 2022 guide is now in the Towable Guides section of the FMCA website and app. I verified that it has been posted.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take5 View Post
Presently have a 2019 Silverado, but believe it may be too heavy to flat tow with a 28' Class C?
You might be okay depending on the gross weight and hitch to pull your Silverado. My 2012 Silverado is 5200lbs. We tow our Wrangler unlimited and it’s about 4500lbs. I am starting off probably at least 300lbs heavier with our class c that’s 32 foot. Best thing would be to weight everything and check your specs. But I know if I wanted to I could pull my Silverado. Won’t win any races.

I am assuming you are on the 450 chassis.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:10 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #20431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well according to this article, the Buick Encore GX is the only Buick with a CVT;
No GMC vehicles have CVTs;
And Chevrolet CVT equipped vehicles are the Cruze, Malibu, Trailblazer, and Spark with the Spark being discontinued.

So still plenty of GM vehicle available that can be Recreationally Towed.
That is only partially correct, but then again, the article was avout how long CVT transmissions last...not about towing. Yes the Buick Encore GX and the 'twin' Chevy Trailblazer comes with a CVT transmission and is
NOT towable with either engine. However the AWD version comes only with the better 1.3L engine AND a gated 9 sp transmission that is 4 down towable. Sadly the FWD 1.3L goes back to the CVT, not towable, and far more prevalent on dealers lots in Florida due to the flawed mindset that "no one needs AWD in Florida". They are there but have to search. I test drove a Buick today - lowest trim level - but tomorrow an going to drive 75 miles and put a deposit on an incoming AWD Trailblazer - higher trim level - which is about the only way can get them as no one has then on the lots and only 10 (RS and ACTV trim) and quite a few more LE trim "in transit" in the entire State.

Yes, you do have to disconnect the neg battery and most people install the Roadmaster disconnect switch rather than the old fashion wrench to terminal.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Just going out on a limb here but, if you get a manual transmission rwd or frd that has a neutral position can that be flat towed? if you really have to cut weight, a small manual transmission sedan would be the way to go.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Just going out on a limb here but, if you get a manual transmission rwd or frd that has a neutral position can that be flat towed? if you really have to cut weight, a small manual transmission sedan would be the way to go.
The definitive answer is: "Maybe". Not all manual transmission cars can be flat towed just like not all automatic transmission cars can not be flat towed. Read the Owners Manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
As someone that tows a 2021 Kia Soul, I must relate that guides produced by magazines and lawyer approved corporate owners manuals are not the definitive answers for recreational towing. When researching the purchase of my toad I looked at the FMCA guide and was glad to see the vehicle I wanted was on the list. So I went to a local dealer to test drive and confirm the towing status. The salesperson, service manager and owners manual all stated the vehicle was not flat towable. I was bummed. I went back to the Kia website and contacted the manufacturer via their contact email. Within 48 hours they responded with a pdf of a TSB that stated the conditions upon which a Soul can be flat towed. The email never mentioned why the owners manual is not accurate, nor why dealership folks don't know the capability. The point is, if you want to know the truth, ask the manufacturer directly.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
As someone that tows a 2021 Kia Soul, I must relate that guides produced by magazines and lawyer approved corporate owners manuals are not the definitive answers for recreational towing. When researching the purchase of my toad I looked at the FMCA guide and was glad to see the vehicle I wanted was on the list. So I went to a local dealer to test drive and confirm the towing status. The salesperson, service manager and owners manual all stated the vehicle was not flat towable. I was bummed. I went back to the Kia website and contacted the manufacturer via their contact email. Within 48 hours they responded with a pdf of a TSB that stated the conditions upon which a Soul can be flat towed. The email never mentioned why the owners manual is not accurate, nor why dealership folks don't know the capability. The point is, if you want to know the truth, ask the manufacturer directly.
As I said in another thread: Never trust the talking heads at the Dealer.

I thought it was common knowledge that the Kia Soul with manual transmission could be flat towed - apparently not to the technical writers for Kia's Owners Manuals. I have attached the TSB for those that are interested.:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB GEN 018 (Rev 7) Recreational Towing Requirements.pdf (255.9 KB, 21 views)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote