Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2021, 05:03 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
You might feel a bit more tail wag, but as long as things are in good alignment should not be a problem.
Is this jeep meant only as a show car, or do you plan to use it for transportation and play? My Rubicon X sits on 35's and is a bit sluggish as an around town driver but is more than acceptable on the trail. Rule of thumb for the dana 44's front and rear on the Rubicon is no bigger than 35's without regearing and an axle swap to something more stout. Unless you have something custom in that sport, you only have a dana 30 in the front and starting out with a lower gear ratio. IMO, this would be totally unacceptable on the road, and subject to breaking axles on the trail. You might benefit from discussing your goals with a jeep customizer.
I left my Jeep stock Sahara. It was used for mainly trail riding out in the boonies, not serious rock climbing etc. I didn't want to break it being stupid. It doubled as my street car at home when necessary. Being stock it did everything we wanted and we got on some rather remote "trails" in the Moab and Monument Valley areas in Utah and back areas in AK.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #22

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I left my Jeep stock Sahara. It was used for mainly trail riding out in the boonies, not serious rock climbing etc. I didn't want to break it being stupid. It doubled as my street car at home when necessary. Being stock it did everything we wanted and we got on some rather remote "trails" in the Moab and Monument Valley areas in Utah and back areas in AK.
I agree with you that no matter what trim level you get, even stock, jeeps are amazingly capable. They'll go places that in my now older and wiser self, I don't want to go
Old 12-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #23

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
I agree with you that no matter what trim level you get, even stock, jeeps are amazingly capable. They'll go places that in my now older and wiser self, I don't want to go
Yep and since we usually go out exploring alone it could be a long cold night in the UT desert till someone wanders by. There was one wilderness trail north of Monument Valley, can't remember the trail name, and the only vehicles we saw were Jeeps and adventure bikes. No cars or pickup trucks. Mostly the motorcycles. The "road" was occasionally sloping rock face.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
'21 Sport S

Taking delivery of a new 2021 Sport S next week and need to set it up for being the TOAD behind our Windsport 29M. I am not certain if I want to change bumpers or not, if I do not, which of the baseplates are the least obtrusive looking / most hidden when not being used? Pics would be great!

Also, should I get a full width rear mudflap to protect the TOAD? Any recommendations / pics?
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #25

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
I have a 2020 wrangler 4 door. Stock wheels and bumpers. I have a blue ox base plate. It fits underneath the bumper. If you stand in front you can see the front of the base plate. If you look from the side you dont see it. I have seen more intrusive plates. Very happy with looks and toad configuration. I have a 28 foot Class C tows like a dream.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:19 AM   #26

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
Taking delivery of a new 2021 Sport S next week and need to set it up for being the TOAD behind our Windsport 29M. I am not certain if I want to change bumpers or not, if I do not, which of the baseplates are the least obtrusive looking / most hidden when not being used? Pics would be great!

Also, should I get a full width rear mudflap to protect the TOAD? Any recommendations / pics?
Base plates are NOT one size fits all. A pic of the Roadmaster on my 14 Rubicon X is of no value as a reference on your 21 Sport.
Decide now if you'll ever mod the jeep, ie bumper, winch, etc as it could impact fitments. IE, a Blue Ox that was designed for my stock Ruby bumper still had an interference with the bull bar mounted to my bumper. You might want to start by looking at the many videos offered by E-Trailer of various products on various jeep models. They'll also answer specific ?? you might have
Old 01-02-2022, 10:16 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Here was my cost (last year) for flat tow setup
I did complete install myself:

Tow Bar
Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha 6,500lb
Includes safety cables
$650 on Amazon
Bought privately new in box $300

Vehicle Base Plate
Blue Ox BX1120 Baseplate
Etrailer.com - free shipping
$410.60

Auxiliary Braking System
Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Power Braking System
Includes breakaway cable
Amazon $840

Light Wiring
Roadmaster 15267 All-In-One light wiring kit
Coiled power cord
Wire
4 diodes
Amazon $130.44

Light Socket for Towed Vehicle
Blue Ox light socket BX294-0902
Compatible with Blue Ox Baseplate mounting
Etrailer.com $12.95

Brake Light Relay
Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit
Amazon $33.06

Total: $1806.04 (including tax)
I have just bought. 2016 2dr Wrangler JK to tow behind my 2014 Vegas 24.1. With the research I have done this setup will work for my Jeep except I need the appropriate baseplate for my 2016 JK. Would this be a correct assumption?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #28

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeteacher View Post
I have just bought. 2016 2dr Wrangler JK to tow behind my 2014 Vegas 24.1. With the research I have done this setup will work for my Jeep except I need the appropriate baseplate for my 2016 JK. Would this be a correct assumption?
The baseplate for my TJ is an oddball... it doesn't use the removable locking silver "twist adapters"... not sure of what they're called. Also it may be hit or miss whether you need the relay. So wiring yours may be significantly different... Chrysler made a LOT of changes over those 15 years.

I might suggest calling E-Trailer and having a discussion about your setup to be sure you're getting exactly what you need.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #29

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeteacher View Post
When I towed the 2012 Wrangler I used a Hopkins brake light wiring kit. Was kind of a PITA to install but worked good. With the Ram I put on a Curt plug-n-play wiring kit. Much easier install and NO cutting/splicing/diodes.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #30

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
When I towed the 2012 Wrangler I used a Hopkins brake light wiring kit. Was kind of a PITA to install but worked good. With the Ram I put on a Curt plug-n-play wiring kit. Much easier install and NO cutting/splicing/diodes.
I looked at the Curt option when installing mine. My "oldie" Jeep TJ wasn't listed in their compatible vehicle list, so it was a crapshoot whether it would have worked with mine without modifications - which would have defeated the purpose of providing simplicity - and voided any warranty.

Looks like the Curt system places the diodes into a pre-wired "module" (the box), then provides a "T-Plug" to tap into the tow vehicle's tail light wiring harness under the hood. This method would certainly be much more convenient than stringing wiring from the front bumper all the way to each tail light housing (like I did).

However, expecting Curt to provide an adapter for every manufacturer's proprietary wiring plug is unrealistic. BUT... with a little wiring expertise, knowledge of 12volt systems and a vehicle wiring schematic, you COULD cut/splice your own "vehicle specific" plug onto the Curt wiring harness - effectively customizing it to your vehicle. Of course you'd likely void any warranty.

As you see, there are a LOT of different options/methods leading to the same end result. The more time you take exploring those options, the less painful your install will be!
Old 01-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #31

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I looked at the Curt option when installing mine. My "oldie" Jeep TJ wasn't listed in their compatible vehicle list, so it was a crapshoot whether it would have worked with mine without modifications - which would have defeated the purpose of providing simplicity - and voided any warranty.
icle. Of course you'd likely void any warranty.

As you see, there are a LOT of different options/methods leading to the same end result. The more time you take exploring those options, the less painful your install will be!
That was my point, look at al the options before just taking a forum comment as gospel. I prefer the ease of installation and effectiveness to cheapest method.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-09-2022, 11:31 PM   #32

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I don’t want to create a new thread on something similar to this. I will just piggy back on this one with my question(s).

We just got a 2021 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon Unlimited (V6). I’m pretty much have decided on what base plate and tow bar to use. My question is on the supplemental braking system. I really would like to install a permanent braking system. However, in watching videos from etrailer, they seem to be very complicated to install. On the other hand, the Blue Ox portable system looked like a very easy install (12v power source, break away wiring). What are you using for your braking system and how difficult was the installation? Any drilling involved?

Last question, how do you charge the battery on the jeep while towing?

Someone here posted a replacement bumper set up from lodoffroad.com . Looked like a nice set up. But it gets pricey in the end.
ador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:38 PM   #33

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
I don’t want to create a new thread on something similar to this. I will just piggy back on this one with my question(s).

We just got a 2021 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon Unlimited (V6). I’m pretty much have decided on what base plate and tow bar to use. My question is on the supplemental braking system. I really would like to install a permanent braking system. However, in watching videos from etrailer, they seem to be very complicated to install. On the other hand, the Blue Ox portable system looked like a very easy install (12v power source, break away wiring). What are you using for your braking system and how difficult was the installation? Any drilling involved?

Someone here posted a replacement bumper set up from lodoffroad.com . Looked like a nice set up. But it gets pricey in the end.
On my 12 Wrangler I used the M&G Engineering brake. It had a module that was put in between the master cylinder and booster. Used motorhome air brakes to activate and operate the Jeep brakes. Extremely simple to hook up to tow, connect air line using standard air hose connections. Requirement is motorhome must have air brakes. I use the RVI3 supplemental braking now which means a "suitcase" between the seat and brake pedal in the toad.

On the 7 pole wiring one of the poles is a battery charge line. Looking at the plug on the motorhome I think it's the one at 1-2 o'clock. On the 6 pole round connecting to the toad it's the center pole. From there you need a towed brake charging module. Inside the Jeep make sure one of the 12v round plugs is hot, not switched.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 02-09-2022, 11:40 PM   #34

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:

I have a 2018 Jeep (JL) Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and went with the Roadmaster Direct Connect Baseplate and Nighthawk Towbar. It is a great setup and installed it myself.

I opted for the RViBrake3 portable breaking system. It is easy to use and less work to setup than a permanent system.... and can be used in other toads very easily.

I'm glad I went this way because we may sell the Jeep. Our truck blew up and we replaced it with a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4. We may tow it now instead of the Jeep. It will be easy to use the RViBrake3 on the truck.

I ran a wire to the positive battery terminal with a automatic resettable breaker to charge the Jeep battery while towing it. I had no issues with the battery while towing.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:49 AM   #35

THOR #16721
I installed the Invisibrake. It's not what I'd call an easy install, but it works flawlessly. I don't plan on changing toads anytime soon, so I went with a more permanent solution. I like the simplicity... just hitch the toad and go. No calibration of the braking system needed. I wired it through an on/off toggle switch to completely disconnect it when not towing.

I also ran a 12 volt charge line from the 7 pin connector to the Jeep battery... probably the easiest part of the whole project.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 AM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I self installed a Stay in Play system in my Wrangler. It was a pretty straightforward project for anyone whose done much auto work before. It worked really well and was super convenient to use - just flip a switch. When I sold the Jeep I transferred it to my Spark and it was even easier the second time. I recommend it!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:10 PM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:

All of our tow equipment, including the brake system, is Blue Ox. See my signature The only power source in the Jeep that is always on is in the rear cargo area. We don’t do anything to charge our batteries while traveling because we normally don’t drive more than 6 hours per day.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #38

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Finally bought a Wrangler!

After 2 1/2 years of driving my Vegas without towing, I finally caved and bought a new 2 door Wrangler Sport. I was tired of trying to find rental cars, using UBER, etc. I know it doesn't make financial sense, but it makes RV travel more convenient. I bought the new Wrangler as used ones are not much cheaper and I did not want to buy someone else's abused Jeep. I decided to buy the 2 door to conserve garage space and I rarely will need to take more than two of us.

I had a local, family-owned RV shop do my setup for about $4470 plus tax.
--Blue Ox Alpha 2 tow bar
--Blue Ox base plate
--Demco Stay in Play brake system
--Light wiring and battery charge line
They did a first class job-much better than I could have done and worth the cost!

Looking forward to more flexibility and convenience.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #39

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
I had a Jeep Cherokee for a toad. Start of the pandemic I saw new Wranglers with a 4K discount. I bought a 2020 Wrangler 4 door Sport Unlimited. Everything is Blue Ox. The Wrangler tows better than the Cherokee. We love it. I guess it is a Jeep thing.

Easy set up disconnect. I have a procedure I use to get it out of neutral to 2WD. so far so good. I heard some people have some problems with that.

It is not a Lexus but we did not buy it for that. Still happy.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #40

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Can you post your procedure on how to shift the transfer case to NEUTRAL and back to 2L? I am one of those who have a difficult time doing that. The manual is not helpful nor precise.

I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with automatic transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Easy set up disconnect. I have a procedure I use to get it out of neutral to 2WD. so far so good. I heard some people have some problems with that.
ador is online now   Reply With Quote