Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #90
Jeff H

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #9955
2017 Thor Vegas 25.3 Use/Store Issue

I'm new to RV'ing, We just purchased this RV last Sept. used. On our first trip from Florida to Texas, I noticed with key in ignition and RV engine running, I couldn't switch to "Use", assumed that was normal. But I remember first getting it and I could switch it from store to use and I had power from house batts. I noticed by the end of our trip recently, that I can only get house power with Generator or Shore power. I took it back to the dealership I got it from, they state the problem is the "The Battery Cutoff switch is no good." where is that Battery Cutoff switch on the 2017 Thor Vegas 25.3 located? Anyone got pictures of it? I'm assuming it's mounted near the relay panel, or behind it. Because I can't find it yet near the chassis battery, or near the house batts. Can you experts lend a hand to an ex AF avionics electronics guy? I can fix B1 auto pilot systems, but can't find a simple component on an RV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
From Ed's first post in this thread.
When the BIRD senses 13.1 volts for 2.5 minutes on the chassis battery the relay isolator will close sending charging current to the house batteries (alternator providing charge to house batteries. Going the other way when on shore power or running the generator when the BIRD senses 13.1 volts for 2.5 minutes on the house batteries the relay isolator will close sending charging current to the chassis battery (generator or shore power charging the chassis battery).

It is easy to check if the system is working. If the charging system is working correctly, after About 2.5 minutes the Trombetta will open connecting both battery banks for charging. If that happens, the voltage at both posts of the Trombetta will read the same on a volt meter. If they do not, the Trombetta is closed. After the charging system is shut off, the voltage in the batteries has to drop to 13.8 v (I believe) and the Trombetta automatically opens. If you have a load on the coach batteries The voltage readings from the two large a Trombetta posts will quickly read differently.
I could be wrong, but i think that the way Thor has this wired, the emergency start switch plays no part in the BIRD/Trombetta operation. I think it is wired completely separately and physically connects the two battery banks with a wire running for one bank to the other thru the emergency start switch. When the switch is pushed, it physically connects the two banks and when the switch it let off, it separates them. The five wire BIRD has a wire that acts as that switch and closes the Trombetta, but in the Axis, I'm not sure the emergency start switch closes the Trombetta. I think it works separately from the Trombetta to connect the two battery banks. I am not sure of that, but from fooling around with the system, I think that is the way it works.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum