Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
thor293

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
When we had boats, one of the first things you have to get used to is running an engine at high RPM almost constantly. My last boat had a max of 5,000RPM Wide-Open-Throttle, and after getting the boat onto plane at max throttle, I throttled back to around 3,700/4,000 RPM, and it stayed there for the duration of the trip... sometimes for hours.

The engines were built on Chevy 5.7L blocks.

About the only difference in the marine version of the engines (at least internally) are heavy duty springs in the valves for running at higher RPMs (no heavy duty bearings, etc).

In a boat, 1,000 hours is about max for a gas engine before a rebuild. There is no direct correlation between engine hours and mileage, so I cannot say if that is equivalent to 100k miles or not. When we got rid of the boat, it had around 600hrs on the engines ~ over an 18yr time period.

I have heard 1,000 hours in a boat is equivalent to an engine life of around 50~75k miles in a vehicle. I have no idea whether or not that is accurate or not.

But in a RV, the V10 is probably only going to be at high RPM's only occasionally, not constantly as in a boat engine, so I would suspect it to last longer. How much the engine's life is shortened, if at all, probably depends on how much it is pushed at high RPMs.

Also, a major factor in engine failure in boats (and probably RVs as well) is only occasional use, combined with lack of proper maintenance and storage preparation. So I am sure there are more factors than just high RPMs.
All valid points but still if a programmer can bring down rpm's and increase torque through use of the transmission it makes good sense to me.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum